Mileage 2011 Shelby Gt500

sikryd

Established Member
I have a 2011 GT500, with an SCT tune. I really believe that my mileage is incorrect after I placed the tune on the car. I live on an Island (Oahu), I bought my car December 23rd 2010, and as of today I have 10,120 miles on it. Now, Don't get me wrong... I drive my car quite a bit, but there is no way in hell I have put that many miles on my car in that short amount of time. My shelby is not my only vehicle, so I don't drive it every day.
I called the shop that I got the SCT tunner from, and they said that there is no way that there tune messed with my mileage. I was also told that the speedometer and odometer are not related. I explained that in my 67 Camaro, the speedometer gear in my Tremec TKO 600 also drives the odometer. I was told that it's not the same in the Shelby. Any thoughts on this? Originally, the tune that came with the SCT did not work on my car, it would not even attempt to start. After getting a replacement tune, it runs like a champ, but the mileage has to be incorrect.
I did the same drive with my stock 2001 F150, and the miles don't seem to be incrementing as quickly as in the Shelby. If the mileage is wrong, it's directly affecting the value of my car. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It already sounds like you may have done this, but do a simple point A-B test against another car and see if the mileage is the same. Use a third car to be extra sure.

acobra03

Established Member
Do you have kids at driving age? Is it possible someone else is driving your car? Check those tires!

sikryd

Established Member
Do you have kids at driving age? Is it possible someone else is driving your car? Check those tires!

No kids at that age... My keys are laying around in case my brother needs to move the car at home. I don't think my brother is driving the car...

CPRsm

I might be wrong but pretty sure your abs light would come on because the front and rear tire speeds did not match.....if it was indeed wrong

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Is there a way to switch from miles to kilometers? just a thought as i don't have a tuner for mine yet.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would re-upload the tune with the SCT, but right before, check the "unlocked options" on the tuner to see if you can manually change "gear ratio" and "tire revs per mile". If you can, make sure they are set correctly or your speedo and odometer will not register correctly.

sikryd

Established Member
I would re-upload the tune with the SCT, but right before, check the "unlocked options" on the tuner to see if you can manually change "gear ratio" and "tire revs per mile". If you can, make sure they are set correctly or your speedo and odometer will not register correctly.

My car has the SVT package, and I did select 3.73 when I put in the tune. I was thinking of removing and reapplying the tune. I will wait till I speak with Lethal Performance... I did not get the tune from them, but I do trust them on their opinions and information they can and do provide me.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Why not just do as stated. Drive the car on a route and record the mileage. Drive another vehicle on the same route and compare. Don't see how a tune will change the odometer reading. The seedometer maybe but not the odometer. You can change the car from miles to KM in the dash set up under units in the display

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Both the speedometer and the odometer rely on accurate settings to register correctly.

If the gear ratio or revs per mile settings are incorrect, the speedometer (and odometer both) will not read accurately, and the car will think it is driving more, or less, miles on the odometer. People in the past have purposely set it wrong to make their car register less miles. The car seems to be getting terrible gas mileage, but it's really not. The odometer isn't showing as many miles as the car is actually being driven.

The inverse is also true.

Last edited:

sikryd

Established Member
Both the speedometer and the odometer rely on accurate settings to register correctly.

If the gear ratio or revs per mile settings are incorrect, the speedometer (and odometer both) will not read accurately, and the car will think it is driving more, or less, miles on the odometer. People in the past have purposely set it wrong to make their car register less miles. The car seems to be getting terrible gas mileage, but it's really not. The odometer isn't showing as many miles as the car is actually being driven.

The inverse is also true.

I was told the speedometer and odometer are not related to each other on the GT500. I don't know if I believe this... What do you think?

LittleLady

Established Member
..Mine is a 2006 with only 4.324.6 miles and with 3.73 and with the SVT package,in town I get about 21 miles and freeway 18,man you much really drive that car to put on over 10.120 miles on this rock..what color is yours.?.and what part of the island do you live on.?. I'm in Makiki..need any help PM me.

sikryd

Established Member
..Mine is a 2006 with only 4.324.6 miles and with 3.73 and with the SVT package,in town I get about 21 miles and freeway 18,man you much really drive that car to put on over 10.120 miles on this rock..what color is yours.?.and what part of the island do you live on.?. I'm in Makiki..need any help PM me.

I'm in Makiki too... well at least my car is, I'm usually out in Ewa Beach at my gf's place. My car is dark gray metallic with stripe delete. Maybe I can get you to go for a drive one day, and we can compare miles driven. PM me your contact info and I will give you a call when I have some time.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
If you change the gear ratio because of the PP, then I think you have to change the Rev per mile of the tire as well. I was told it is basically a net wash becuase the PP car's run a taller tire.

I am sure you can look up the revs per mile and tire height to verify, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I was told the speedometer and odometer are not related to each other on the GT500. I don't know if I believe this... What do you think?

I know that's not true. Change either setting (gear ratio or rev per mile), and the speedometer and odometer will not register correctly.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I thought the first Shelby GT500 was an 07. I know it was available in 06 but the production of them started in 07. Learn something new everyday I guess

LittleLady

Established Member
By Thom Blackett | March 24, 2005
Introduction
Anyone with a pulse is aware of how well the 2005 Ford Mustang has been received. Of course, that makes sense - it's a car that offers contemporary styling with a definite retro flair and a choice of two desirable engines. That car is so hot, in fact, that its rumored that factory executives and designers are far behind a long list of customers waiting for 2005's gotta have it car. Apparently Ford isn't satisfied, though, so at the 2005 New York Auto Show company officials are debuting the 2006 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, an asphalt-munching beast that traces its heritage back to a highly praised 1968 model of the same name. With the minds from Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team) unit and the legendary Carroll Shelby working together on this project, it was almost certainly a guaranteed success. The result of this collaboration will surely put goofy grins on the faces of Mustang and power lovers everywhere: 450 horsepower, 450 lb.-ft. of torque (oh yeah, baby!), Brembo calipers, 19-inch alloy wheels, and a price that should be in line with that of the previous Mustang Cobra model. And according to project designers, the 2006 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 "will be the most powerful production Mustang ever built."

American muscle lives.

Legendary car builder Carroll Shelby not only took part in the development of the 2006 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, but he also participated in the car's unveiling at the 2005 New York International Auto Show on March 23, 2005.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you haven't changed tires or gear ratio from stock, there is no need to change those parameters in the user menu. Your rev per mile data and gear ratio are imbedded in the VID block. The tune is not going to change the VID block data.

OP, just how many miles do you think you should have?

Users who are viewing this thread