Military Base Pass Question

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
So my ship is probably going to be at the 32nd street Naval Base for awhile and I want to bring my Cobra out when I get assigned to her. I'll need to get a base pass but Florida doesn't have an inspection for cars. Is this going to be a problem?

I don't know if my car will pass a Cali inspection with my MagnaFlow catted X and catback, slightly aggressive tune and window tint (legal limit in FL). :shrug:

reivaxtorres

im slow...i promise!
Established Member
you arent going to have a problem with the visual inspection since you still have some cats, but the actual sniff test might get a little complicated. once you get it out here and if you need to get it smogged, take it to a place where they offer a free re-test if you fail the 1st time and get it smogged. if it fails, take it to a shop and have them re-tune your car as close to stock as possible, and take it back and re-test it.

not sure what military passes entail, but you wont be bugged by cops because of your window tint unless you are being "noticable" with your car. tint on the rear window and quarter windows can be whatever you want, but you cant have any tint on the front windows or windshield.

PS. on my gt, i have just about every bolt on i can think of, along with PI intake and cams, bbk catted x pipe and magnaflow catback and it still passed smog last year, smogged it again this year without the magnaflow catback and it still passed

Last edited:

MysssticGhost

Go Sooners!
Established Member
should not be a problem getting base pass. since your car is registered in FL it generally only has to be legal in FL. at least it is that way here in va.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It has to pass smog out here to get a base pass. But you don't need an inspection. I'm currently on NAS North Island. FWIW, the guys I know with the Magnaflow set up passed the sniffer test. When you get your car out here, look me up. I'm the only yellow Cobra on North Island.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
slo984now said:
It has to pass smog out here to get a base pass. But you don't need an inspection. I'm currently on NAS North Island. FWIW, the guys I know with the Magnaflow set up passed the sniffer test. When you get your car out here, look me up. I'm the only yellow Cobra on North Island.
Smog check and inspection are different?

Will do... I have a buddy on the tanker over there at North Island right now. :beer:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
grimreefer said:
Smog check and inspection are different?

Will do... I have a buddy on the tanker over there at North Island right now. :beer:

I know some states have an inspection to make sure the car is worthy. I figured that was what you were talking about. It seems to depend on how you do on the test. If you pass, they tend to leave the rest alone. I can recommend a smog shop if you need one.

Users who are viewing this thread