MM&FF did a low 12's run in the GT 500

Fourcam330

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
LOL. Uh, look at my profile to see where I've been....errr.....am. :)

The car(s) are sold. I sold the 99 right after the 2004 season (mistake, as it usually is), bought an 04, modified it like I wanted it, and then sold that too. It just didn't "do it" for me. To each their own, of course. The next car I have will be N/A - either a late SN-95 Mustang, or perhaps a C5 Z06.

And I was serious! I don't remember where or what post we had the last pissing contest over. I wanted to go back and read it for the laughs. :D

Bob

PS...Just to be clear....I'm taking no sides in this. :pop:

Whassup Bob. :beer:

RussStang

Established Member
venom279 said:
:lol1: ... about .02 ...

You have 13 posts here, so I seriously doubt that you know fourcam at all, BUT I am sure that you are good friends with JT though right? You're both from PA and probably buddies on a local board.. This thread comes down to JT not liking the GT500 and bitching and whining about it, which is fine, BUT he spewing out a bunch of BS and here-say about the car. How do we know this????? Because the car is just now hitting the streets and no one (private individual) has dyno'd, street tested, drag tested, or modded car whatsoever...

You are right. I used to have another screen name along time ago on here, but I have long forgotten the password. I don't know who is "in" and who isn't, but I was just stating my opinion based on what I have read through this extremely long thread. I don't know what you know of PA, but it isn't exactly that small of a state. I have never met JT in my life, and have no idea who he is.

You are right, the car is not out yet. We don't know much about it at all. However, my statement was made more of the caliber of arguement being made between the two individuals.

RussStang

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
you are as loony as your friend. :rockon:

How exactly is he my friend now? Some of you guys jump to conclusions way to fast on this board.

no you wouldnt. both of you would not like the results. even the 2000r owners and drivers are saying the gt500 could run lap times faster than thier car. :beer:

As it has been stated, this car hasn't exactly hit the streets in full force yet. How would the 2000R owners know that the GT500 could outlap there cars? Any sources for this info?

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
RussStang said:
How exactly is he my friend now? Some of you guys jump to conclusions way to fast on this board.

garbage is never more valuable than knowledge.

RussStang said:
As it has been stated, this car hasn't exactly hit the streets in full force yet. How would the 2000R owners know that the GT500 could outlap there cars? Any sources for this info?

no there is no direct evidence at this time. just very knowledgable road racers who fix, maintain, and tweek their cars and a weekly basis to get the best lap times on the weekends. to be blunt there is something to be said about a much better and stiffer chasis that the gt500 is riding on. in combination with the extra power, better brakes, and the front spindles residing in front of the added weight, the gt500 will be able to keep up and even outrun the 00r for a top lap time.
also this does not mean that the gt500 will be a top weekend racer, simply by the fact that the blower would not be able to keep up(heat soak) on a 20 minute or longer racing session.

ac427cobra said:
Stock for stock, I think the new car beats the "R" on 'certain' tracks for limited laps? Or best lap time? If you're talking HP tracks like Road America, VIR, Road Atlanta or the Glen, AND you're saying stock as delivered, AND you're saying best lap time and NOT a 30 minute lapping session, by all means the GT500 will OWN.
.... A little extra weight will not be an issue given the stiffer chassis and the 14" front brakes shod on the 500. :idea:

RussStang

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
garbage is never more valuable than knowledge.

Ok. Don't really understand where you were trying to go with that, but I suppose by default I must agree with you.

no there is no direct evidence at this time. just very knowledgable road racers who fix, maintain, and tweek their cars and a weekly basis to get the best lap times on the weekends. to be blunt there is something to be said about a much better and stiffer chasis that the gt500 is riding on. in combination with the extra power, better brakes, and the front spindles residing in front of the added weight, the gt500 will be able to keep up and even outrun the 00r for a top lap time.
also this does not mean that the gt500 will be a top weekend racer, simply by the fact that the blower would not be able to keep up(heat soak) on a 20 minute or longer racing session.

Who are some very knowledgable road racers you are referring to? As was stated, the car really isn't even out on the streets yet in production trim.

Yes the S197 platform is stiffer than the SN95 was, but the GT500 is almost 500lbs heavier than the 00R. I am not trying to conclude which one is faster, but there is just as much conclusion jumping going on here for the GT500 then there is against it, if not more.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
RussStang said:
Ok. Don't really understand where you were trying to go with that, but I suppose by default I must agree with you.

Who are some very knowledgable road racers you are referring to? As was stated, the car really isn't even out on the streets yet in production trim.

Yes the S197 platform is stiffer than the SN95 was, but the GT500 is almost 500lbs heavier than the 00R. I am not trying to conclude which one is faster, but there is just as much conclusion jumping going on here for the GT500 then there is against it, if not more.

have you ever listened to fourcam? he is one of the most knowledgable gentleman on this site. specifically when it comes to engines he is absolutely in the know. also he knows a lot of engine builders and engineers for both gm and ford in which he gets a lot of info from. tx only comes up with his thoughts and conjectures that makes no sense at all. he twist and skews the facts and oppinions only trying to confuse everyone, in other words pure garbage.

those knowledgable racers are the ones that take thier cars to the track every weekend to thrash about. most of them are in the cobra r forums. one of the most respected is bruce who i quoted already.

who are the ones jumping to conclusions? 13.1 in the quarter? no better than 112mph trap? this car is a low 12's car no doubt with the 116-117 trap. i still believe under the right conditions we will see an 11 stock. a member of this forum has already driven one to an 1.85 60 time. the 12.25 time by even smith was a 2.1 60.
the gt500 is only 400lbs heavier than the 00r, which is a lot i grant you, but it also has bigger brakes and more power. and like i said before if your going for one lap best time on a real road course the gt500 will be even or better than the 00r. :beer:

RussStang

Established Member
I'll concede to everything you have said except for the last sentence. I still don't know what kind of rubber the GT500 wears, but to make it truly even I would like to see what an R can do wearing equavalent rubber. Probably isn't going to happen though, considering the R is 6 years old.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
have you ever listened to fourcam? he is one of the most knowledgable gentleman on this site. specifically when it comes to engines he is absolutely in the know. also he knows a lot of engine builders and engineers for both gm and ford in which he gets a lot of info from. tx only comes up with his thoughts and conjectures that makes no sense at all. he twist and skews the facts and oppinions only trying to confuse everyone, in other words pure garbage.

those knowledgable racers are the ones that take thier cars to the track every weekend to thrash about. most of them are in the cobra r forums. one of the most respected is bruce who i quoted already.

who are the ones jumping to conclusions? 13.1 in the quarter? no better than 112mph trap? this car is a low 12's car no doubt with the 116-117 trap. i still believe under the right conditions we will see an 11 stock. a member of this forum has already driven one to an 1.85 60 time. the 12.25 time by even smith was a 2.1 60.
the gt500 is only 400lbs heavier than the 00r, which is a lot i grant you, but it also has bigger brakes and more power. and like i said before if your going for one lap best time on a real road course the gt500 will be even or better than the 00r. :beer:

If we're internet racing I highly doubt a GT500 would be faster around a road course. It is highly dependent upon the size, configuration, and condition of the track to see which one is faster. The 00R probably has much less unsprung weight, definitely better seats, and a host of other things to make it more track-able. 400lbs is a lot...you cannot negate the amount of heat that is going to put into the tires under braking, acceleration, cornering, etc...Your tires will get greasier more quickly, your brakes heat up much quicker, and your suspension has to do a whole hell of a lot more work to get it around. Then again, I don't know where the weight of the car is on the GT500 as compared to the 00R, but I speculate it isn't any better.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
moridin2004 said:
If we're internet racing I highly doubt a GT500 would be faster around a road course. It is highly dependent upon the size, configuration, and condition of the track to see which one is faster. The 00R probably has much less unsprung weight, definitely better seats, and a host of other things to make it more track-able. 400lbs is a lot...you cannot negate the amount of heat that is going to put into the tires under braking, acceleration, cornering, etc...Your tires will get greasier more quickly, your brakes heat up much quicker, and your suspension has to do a whole hell of a lot more work to get it around. Then again, I don't know where the weight of the car is on the GT500 as compared to the 00R, but I speculate it isn't any better.

who is internet racing? there are a handful of 00r owners/weekend racers who really question who would be able to pull off the best lap. this was a very good debate between those 00r owners. the general statements were, in a few quick laps or one best lap the gt500 would be competitive and or better than a stock 00r, and that for a full race or a long training session(on the track for 20 minutes or longer) the 00r would own. :beer:

Silver 03 Cobra

I read the first three pages and then the last three. Looks like I missed any real conversation about the track times.

I'm sure by the time MM&FF gets a car to beat on and hopefully be able to do a pulley swap with slicks they will put it in the 10's. Looks like it will shut up the haters once again.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
who is internet racing? there are a handful of 00r owners/weekend racers who really question who would be able to pull off the best lap. this was a very good debate between those 00r owners. the general statements were, in a few quick laps or one best lap the gt500 would be competitive and or better than a stock 00r, and that for a full race or a long training session(on the track for 20 minutes or longer) the 00r would own. :beer:

We're internet racing because it hasn't been done yet. This is not a knock on the 00R owners and their owners, but rather the non-existant lap times of the GT500.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
moridin2004 said:
We're internet racing because it hasn't been done yet. This is not a knock on the 00R owners and their owners, but rather the non-existant lap times of the GT500.

what the hell is internet racing? is it magazine racing?
there is no racing of any kind yet, because as you specified there are no times. all i stated was there is a guestion among weekend racers who could pull off the best lap times. some said the 00r some said the gt500. that its, its called speculation, not internet racing.

FBMphil

Established Member
BANDIT HPT said:
Anyone else starting to feel like the MM&FF car was a ringer?
The mags all tested the same group of cars at the same time.

MMFF, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and whoever else, they all drove the same cars.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
ON D BIT said:

The 00R also used 14 in brembos

Users who are viewing this thread