MM panhard bar bent??

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I recently got my rear suspension parts installed (MM PHB, MM T/A, MM LCA, MM SFC) and I looked under the car today and noticed that the rod is slightly arched/bent now. I havent even raced this car or anything and have been daily driving it for about a month or so now. The only harsh movement that it see's are multiple speed bumps near my house that I angle the car over, but other than the its been easy street driving.

Does anyone know how this could have happened? I'm sure it will, but will this affect my rear suspension?

Also, this may be related to the issue, but ever since the install I've been hearing clunking whenever I'm in the forward motion making a left turn. It happens whether I'm making a sharp left turn or I'm driving down the street that curves to the left. The clunking noise seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Ian,

The only times we've seen the PHB rod itself get bent are during accidents, when the car gets lowered down off of a floor jack, or when the car is tied down by straps.

#2 is by far the most common. If the installer had the floor jack underneath the differential, then lowered the car and pulled the jack out too quickly, the jack pad can bend the rod because the car is still coming down.

#3 happens when someone puts the car on a trailer or on a chassis dyno. They don't pay enough attention to the path of the straps when they are tightened or how the rod is going to move when the chassis moves up and down later.

The clunk is most likely an exhaust clearance issue or excessive axle endplay due to worn clutches. It could also be a problem with the PHB rod end clocking. See step 65 in the instructions below:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/rear_susp/MMPBAr2.pdf

Where are you located in Northern California? If you are close enough, I could take a look at the car.

Users who are viewing this thread