Mobil 1 10W-30

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I changed my oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 over the weekend and now the rockers clatter loud. It sounds good I just want to make sure that it is what others are experiencing or if I might have an issue. I am running normal pressure and have the oil exactly midway between min and full.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
How does it not have rockers what is oscillating the valves? It could be valve clatter but that is what it sounds like and allot of it which is about right considering there are 32 valves. I am new to the modular I have always had 5.0s, but don't understand how an engine could not have rockers unless there is some direct connection between the cam and valve.

bowtie

Established Member
You shouldn't even have noticed a difference. Viscosity between organic and synthetic oil is virtually the same. I never heard of this.

Cobra'03

Established Member
At startup? All the time? A clicking mechanical sound or a clacking, metal on metal sound?

If it is startup and short duration clacking, pretty typical.

But let's look at the Vis at 100 degrees F for several grades:
Pennzoil mineral oil:
10w30 - 67 cST
5w20 - 48 cSt

That is a pretty big spread and typical of mineral oil.

Amsoils:
5w20 - 49.6 cST
0w30 - 57.3 cST
10w30 - 64 cST

I would expect Mobil 1 to be be comparable. See why I chose 0w30?- it flows similarly to the low vis oil, yet has better high temp protection and anti-wear. To me it is the best all around choice.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It is a clicking noise that is constant and does not stop. It sounds more like something after you remove sound deadining more then anything else is the best way to discribe it is almost as loud as the blower at idle, if you rev the engine you can't hear it so I would believe it does not get louder. The car seems to also rev more freely and drive better then before.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Does it increase in frequency with rpm? It could just be the injectors pulsing. Get a length of 3/8" rubber hose and make a "stethoscope". Try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from - is it from the valve cover - is it from the injectors sitting in the intake manifold? Just be careful around the belts and blower!

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
tofast4u-Cobra0,
The cams are over the valves, on top of them, instead of in the block. Therefore, there is no need to "redirect" the lifting action of the cam through a rocker arm. For a cutaway view of a typical overhead cam, try this link:
OHC Cutaway

Users who are viewing this thread