Mobile 1 5W50 VOA

6-Speed

Established Member
Here's my oil analysis report on a virgin sample of Mobile 1 5W50 motor oil that I sent to Blackstone for testing. The oil meets API SM, ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 and it looks to have an excellent additive package with a good amount of ZDDP, Boron and Moly for anti-wear plus a good dose of Calcium-based detergents and a Total Base Number (TBN) of 13.1. The viscosity of 16.95 cSt @ 100 degrees C makes it a light 50 grade oil.

M1_5W50_VOA_2.jpg

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Might as well be speaking latin to some of us. Good or bad oil?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
ZDDP looks promising, with a touch of Moly. Should provide good anti-wear characteristics. So far, looking really good in VOA form.

Now we have to wait and see how well the base stock resists shearing. Do you happen to have the NOACK volatility for this lubricant? The spec sheet doesn't list it. It does have a good HT/HS of 4.22

I wouldn't get too happy about the 13.1 TBN, Blackstone always reports higher TBN readings than other labs. *different testing procedure* It's common to see a 20% higher reading at Blackstone than other labs. I would say this lubricant would be around 10.5-11.0 TBN, but that's still good.

Why oh WHY doesn't Mobil 1 list the NOACK spec? That's a rhetorical question, and I will wait until your UOA to see if I'm correct.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
ZDDP looks promising, with a touch of Moly. Should provide good anti-wear characteristics.

Now we have to wait and see how well the base stock resists shearing. Do you happen to have the NOACK volatility and HT/HS specs for this lubricant?
I expect the oil to shear, but not as much as the Motorcraft. I do not have the NOACK spec; M1 doesn't seem to share that information openly, but HTHS is 4.22 cP @ 150 degrees C.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I expect the oil to shear, but not as much as the Motorcraft. I do not have the NOACK spec; M1 doesn't seem to share that information openly, but HTHS is 4.22 cP @ 150 degrees C.

I will tell you why they don't, as higher NOACK % indicates group III and group II base stock usage in the formulation. I wanted to see the NOACK to see if it was less then 9%, if so...I knew we were dealing with a group IV (possibly group V in the mix) base stocks.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Braver man than I for trying Mobil 1 in your GT500. In my past experiences with other supercharged/turbo cars, it simply did not hold up worth a crap. If I were you, I'd be sure to check it in 500 mile increments. Much better oils out there....

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
And another oil thread just in time for summer. Sure the winner will be AMSOIL but hey what do I know

Ray Lucca

Established Member
How does the M1 VOA compare to a Redline VOA??? Secondarily how does it compare to the Castrol and MC??? These are our 5W/50 choices, right??? The only one walk-in available here in OC, is the Castrol. I plan to order the Redline, when it's time for service.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I will tell you why they don't, as higher NOACK % indicates group III and group II base stock usage in the formulation. I wanted to see the NOACK to see if it was less then 9%, if so...I knew we were dealing with a group IV (possibly group V in the mix) base stocks.

A value of around 8% seemed to ring a bell despite Mobil keeping that info somewhat secretive. Did find this somewhere on the internet (although it's from Amsoil & I can't validate its' accuracy):

NoackVolatility.jpg

The Zn & P levels look real good - even better than the 5w30 High-Mileage that I use (which is an SL by the way). Maybe I need to do a VOA of the HM stuff...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Braver man than I for trying Mobil 1 in your GT500. In my past experiences with other supercharged/turbo cars, it simply did not hold up worth a crap. If I were you, I'd be sure to check it in 500 mile increments. Much better oils out there....

I would agree that there is better, but at least this lubricant has higher levels of ZDDP. The only other factor I am waiting to see is how well is resists shearing. It may not be the best choice for the GT500, but it sure looks more robust than 5W-50 Motorcraft or Castrol.

I'm glad 6 Speed made a commitment to use this oil for testing purpose. I really want to know how well it does.

A value of around 8% seemed to ring a bell despite Mobil keeping that info somewhat secretive. Did find this somewhere on the internet (although it's from Amsoil & I can't validate its' accuracy):

NoackVolatility.jpg

The Zn & P levels look real good - even better than the 5w30 High-Mileage that I use (which is an SL by the way). Maybe I need to do a VOA of the HM stuff...

Sure, Mobil 1 looks pretty good here, but it's only a 5W-30 viscosity. As the viscosity spread increases (i.e. 5W-50) the NOACK % will increase. 8% for Mobil 1 (5W-30/10W-30) would be about there lowest NOACK, as where 8% for Amsoil (AZO 0W-30) would be their highest.

and yes, a VOA on Mobil 1 High Mileage oils would be great.

How does the M1 VOA compare to a Redline VOA??? Secondarily how does it compare to the Castrol and MC??? These are our 5W/50 choices, right??? The only one walk-in available here in OC, is the Castrol. I plan to order the Redline, when it's time for service.

So far, Mobil 1 5W-50 looks like it has a better anti-wear addtive package than Motorcraft or Castrol, but not as high as Red Line. IMO, Red Line should perform better, but as 6 Speed stated....Red Line doesn't carry the "approved" status as Mobil 1 5W-50. *Not that "approval" means anything to me, but this is for the knowledge of the product.

Last edited:

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
Very interesting... Well, the 68% of the discussion I can understand is very interesting... I chose Mobil 1 because it's worked well in other high performance vehicles for me (AMGs / SVTs). Someone made a supercharger comment - would the FI change any characteristics as far as the oil is concerned? I would think that an LFA revving to 87,000 rpm (joke, people) would put very similar stresses on the oil. Can anyone chime in on that specific point?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Very interesting... Well, the 68% of the discussion I can understand is very interesting... I chose Mobil 1 because it's worked well in other high performance vehicles for me (AMGs / SVTs). Someone made a supercharger comment - would the FI change any characteristics as far as the oil is concerned? I would think that an LFA revving to 87,000 rpm (joke, people) would put very similar stresses on the oil. Can anyone chime in on that specific point?

Assuming you live up to your forum name....

buy Amsoil.

:lol:

*I kid, I kid*

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Did you run an oil analysis when you ran it in your previous vehicles? One thing about these threads is that some of us want "the best" and do an oil analysis every X amount of miles on the oil to find out how long we can go between changes as well as get the best protection. Users will even run different brands/weights to find the answer.

Others just want an oil that is "sufficient" to protect the motor so that it operates as intended by Ford - they usually don't run any oil analysis tests and stick with either Ford oil or a less expensive brand that "meets specs".

Other factors that come into play are driving style, racing, where you live (heat/cold/dusty/etc), and mods to the car.

In my experiences, Mobil 1 stopped offering the best protection long before other oils thus I won't run it in this car until someone throws up an oil analysis that shows it out performs Redline and Amsoil. Others will choose to run the Mobil 1 if it is merely sufficient.

From my perspective, these threads are not about bashing one oil over the next, hurting feelings, or any other drama. They are to show the results of an oil analysis and take out the opinion factor. I, personally, don't care what brand performs the best - all I care is about finding the answer. Still, people troll in with the drama and opinions thus mucking up the thread....but that is what the ignore feature takes care of.

Users who are viewing this thread