~ Mod progression N/A

Voltwings

Established Member
It just takes some love. I removed my helper spring, changed to DOT 4 fluid, JPC clutch line, and i am shifting at 7500+. Granted, my car is a '13 and only has 18K miles on it, and only the last 5 or so have been with the CJ, so it may still just be a fairly spry factory clutch. I know it is not uncommon for people to have issues more often than I am.

Angry50

Established Member
The thing most people dont understand about the Boss or Cobrajet manifolds is that they are worth it, IF you utilize it properly. Its basically like someone putting slicks and skinnies on, going to autocross and saying they suck... No they dont, you just didnt use them properly. Same principle, you have to be willing to drive your car how a Boss or CJ manifold wants to be driven.

from what I understand is that you lose TQ down low. I do mainly city driving and usually hang out around 3-5k when driving for fun. 3 and under commuting. of course there are times when I go all the way up. to my knowledge the manifold doesn't wake up till 5500 or so. I just hate to lose low end tq for high end HP.

Voltwings

Established Member
Honestly, yes, i can feel some loss below 3000 especially with my 3.31s. However, the car still has PLENTY of pep (maybe because paired with my other mods), and it certainly does not take 5500+ to start hauling ass... it is certainly hauling MORE ass after that point haha but you have a plenty quick car as it sits. Its just something you are going to have to decide, i am planning the all motor route, cams, valves, maybe heads... So this manifold made sense to me, to someone with the more basic path in mind, the torquier GT manifold may make more sense.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I am guessing your car is a manual?

A DD car with some trips to the track

Boss intake is great only if your going to spend the engine from 7000 to 7500 or its a waste of money. Physics says so
Helmet for safety
1. Large CAI
2. Big tube headers + 3" exhaust
3. Tune
4. Solid Motor Mounts
5. Whiteline Rear Transmission Mount
6. Lower and Upper control Arms
7. One piece drive shaft
8. lite wheels & Bias ply drag tire setup... You are going to do some real clutch drops, 5500+, you want a soft sidewall bias ply tire
9. BMR K frame and radiator support
10. new clutch pack

89foxer

Established Member
what if the car is auto?? I have full exhaust, lt headers, x pip, axleback, tune, cai and drags..what else is recommended for a auto with 3.15 gears.

scotmach

Established Member
what if the car is auto?? I have full exhaust, lt headers, x pip, axleback, tune, cai and drags..what else is recommended for a auto with 3.15 gears.

Very simple as you're still missing the most important thing. A converter.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I got over 20+lbs wtq back, going from the boss/accufab to the CJ + corn.. If you got to change the manifold, cobra jets where it's at. Otherwise just port the stock one..

Also rocking 3.31 gears and still have plenty of passing power in 6th cruising @60-65 down state road 7 otw to work.

Angry50

Established Member
lol not just any short throw shifter, a MGW...
Also whiteline transmission bushing and bmr k member would be also good to do while upgrading those a arms..

ive heard about people getting the trans bushing and motor mounts but these sound like they would be difficult to replace. or does it just sound harder than it is?

kingcobra323

Established Member
Id say dont forget the Upper control arm and a front sway bar delete helps with the weight transfer. More power isn't always the only thing u need to stick it to the ground

Posted via Topify on Android

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
The Whiteline trans bushing is easy. Jack it up crawl underneath, support tranny, remove 4 bolts, slide in bushing and reverse directions. I haven't done motor mounts but they do require more of an effort.

89foxer

Established Member
Very simple as you're still missing the most important thing. A converter.
thanks for the response, which converter would you recommend? Im in the market for some bmr u/lca as well. Im also going to need the bmr relocation sway bar. Ive read about the relocation sway bar

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Id say dont forget the Upper control arm and a front sway bar delete helps with the weight transfer. More power isn't always the only thing u need to stick it to the ground
Only if your not trying to Rd Course...Im not into Drag Strip so removing the Front Sway is not an option for me.
The Whiteline trans bushing is easy. .
I have heard some horror stories about the Trans bushing mod....Is it best to cut the center out or modify it a different way?

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
How "all motor" do you want to go. Do you want a Coyote that is not stock, or do you want the most from your car all motor?

Cobrajet manifold
Monoblade TB
5" intake
Headers
Cat deletes
Cams and/or heads
valves

its not hard (yet not cheap) to get 500-550 whp all motor from these cars, but you have to decide if thats what you want, or if you just want some bolt ons.

^^^this. I considered going N/A but it's so damn expensive per hp to do so. If you were to do an all out NA build, go with a CJ mani, stage 3 comp cams without limiters, some longtubes and let that puppy scream.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Only if your not trying to Rd Course...Im not into Drag Strip so removing the Front Sway is not an option for me.

I have heard some horror stories about the Trans bushing mod....Is it best to cut the center out or modify it a different way?

I read the same horror stories about it too. Yet I lubed it up and shoved it in anyway without modifying it and I don't have any extra NVH. The way I see it, if it bothers you, THEN take it out and cut the center out. But like I said, no problems here.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
If you want to make power N/A then you need to rev it to 7500rpm... Same deal with playing with a stick shift, a good clutch should be a priority!

at the track your car probably won't see any rpm below 5K, so I don't see how a loss of torque matters...

Last edited:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member

I didn't cut anything and only noticed a tiny bit of road noise and only with the radio off and windows up. It seemed to help with high RPM shifts but the key for me was to learn to row/finesse the shift rather than just try to slam it in their like in my '03. I still missed a shift into 5th a couple of times at Sebring but it was because I was trying to catch my buddy and slamming the gears instead of shifting smoothly. If I get excited and have too much lateral pressure going into 5th it would say hell no. But without the tranny brace I would miss more shifts so it does help. If the NVH is too much just pull it back out and cut a whole in the center section or cut it off completely. Either way, cheap easy mod that helps. Not a lot of those for this car.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I didn't cut anything and only noticed a tiny bit of road noise and only with the radio off and windows up. It seemed to help with high RPM shifts but the key for me was to learn to row/finesse the shift rather than just try to slam it in their like in my '03. I still missed a shift into 5th a couple of times at Sebring but it was because I was trying to catch my buddy and slamming the gears instead of shifting smoothly. If I get excited and have too much lateral pressure going into 5th it would say hell no. But without the tranny brace I would miss more shifts so it does help. If the NVH is too much just pull it back out and cut a whole in the center section or cut it off completely. Either way, cheap easy mod that helps. Not a lot of those for this car.

What is cutting the center out suppose to improve on? Still learning this MT-82 btw...

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
What is cutting the center out suppose to improve on? Still learning this MT-82 btw...

It's a 3 prong brace. It's used to decrease transmission movement while driving so you dont miss shifts. The two prongs on the side are smaller and do a fine job all by themselves. If the increase in noise is too much you can cut the larger middle prong with a hole saw and remove a significant amount of the noise transmission while still maintaining some of the function or just remove the whole middle prong to reduce as much noise as possible and still have the side prongs to stabilize the tranny. Disclaimer: My brace is intact, functions well withinimal added noise and everything I said about cutting and function after cutting are from what I've read online.

Users who are viewing this thread