Modding my 5.0

corvetteman39

Established Member
Okay so I have already done my cold air intake, Diablo tuner, deleted mufflers, and the guy before me changed the rear gears out and put in short throw shifter and carbon fiber drive shaft. Now I am gonna add headers and the rest of the exhaust all the way back and delete the cats and put the Boss 302 intake on and give it a custome tune. So my question is according to the techs I should be looking at close to 550hp with everything I am doing and with what I already have. Does this sound about right?

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member
With a 100 shot it will. Basically exhaust intake and tune is worth somewhere around 430whp I think, on pump gas. Spend the money you would on headers and get a plate kit. An o/r mid pipe is a good upgrade though.

Last edited:

corvetteman39

Established Member
I am meaning at the crank not RWHP but 430 @ the rear would be nice. I will be doing heads and cam this year to unless it's just better to supercharge.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
What are you trying to do with your car? Drag, road course, spirited daily driver? It's hard to give advice without knowing what you are shooting for.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Ok. For a hardcore DD I would get a supercharger, TVS or other twin screw, because of the instant torque and the fact that it drives like stock until you mash the pedal. I have had a 1.7 KB on my '03 for 9 years with zero issues, other than bald rear tires, and it was my DD. Get with a vendor on here and get a package deal. By the time you were to buy the boss intake, headers, heads and cams that you mentioned you could get a supercharger for close to the same amount. That's a rough estimate so run the numbers for yourself just in case. If you want to do exhaust after the supercharger go ahead but you should be able to get close to 600 at the wheels with a good TVS kit. That's not gonna happen N/A.
What gears did the previous owner put in?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Get a 6R80 then

implied-facepalm.jpg

corvetteman39

Established Member
Ok. For a hardcore DD I would get a supercharger, TVS or other twin screw, because of the instant torque and the fact that it drives like stock until you mash the pedal. I have had a 1.7 KB on my '03 for 9 years with zero issues, other than bald rear tires, and it was my DD. Get with a vendor on here and get a package deal. By the time you were to buy the boss intake, headers, heads and cams that you mentioned you could get a supercharger for close to the same amount. That's a rough estimate so run the numbers for yourself just in case. If you want to do exhaust after the supercharger go ahead but you should be able to get close to 600 at the wheels with a good TVS kit. That's not gonna happen N/A.
What gears did the previous owner put in?

I believe he said he put 3.55 gears if I remember correctly. I am still going to supercharge dot then when I get the money saved up and will retuRn the Boss intake then.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
What is 6R80? I have had a corvette C5 for twelve years and modded it so anything Mustang is new to me.

the 6r80 is the automatic transmission that comes with the auto 2011+ mustangs. while is really good some people constantly beating their chest for getting one because they didnt know how to properly shift the mt82 which is the manual option for the 2011+ mustang.

corvetteman39

Established Member
You know I am one of those people that loves all American muscle but was not impressed with all the stock problems from Chevy and I have owned some very reliable Ford's in my time! I have owned a 96 Cobra and will one day own a newer one unless I just pour the money into my 5.0 instead and get the results I want.

corvetteman39

Established Member
the 6r80 is the automatic transmission that comes with the auto 2011+ mustangs. while is really good some people constantly beating their chest for getting one because they didnt know how to properly shift the mt82 which is the manual option for the 2011+ mustang.

Yea not thinking I want to go that route, I like my six speed to much.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Yea not thinking I want to go that route, I like my six speed to much.

their are both six speeds but i know what you meant. I actually like the mt82 and think that it could handle alot of power considering how much this cars weigh. either choice is not bad imo.

corvetteman39

Established Member
their are both six speeds but i know what you meant. I actually like the mt82 and think that it could handle alot of power considering how much this cars weigh. either choice is not bad imo.

What kind of weight change do you think I am seeing changing out the whole stock exhaust with getting rid of the stock mufflers and with the other guy putting in the carbon fiber driveshaft?

hitmix300

Established Member
Go nitrous man, best bang for ur buck and you can always sell it later if you get bored.

I was only kidding about the 6R80. Not many would make the swap because it's to much hassle.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Go nitrous man, best bang for ur buck and you can always sell it later if you get bored.

I was only kidding about the 6R80. Not many would make the swap because it's to much hassle.

Its true. It was so much easier to trade my 6mt car for a 6r80 car:D:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread