Modifying inlet kenne bell project!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I tapped my boost nine into the inlet on my kenne bell and under wot say 1" hg at the upper rpm probably 2 by redline which indicates a restriction in the inlet! And I can tell you the inlet for the 96-98 is restrictive bad....and should be at 0 so there is definitely power to be had opening it up about 25-50hp I see 10 psi with the 1.5l with 2.5 pulley and through long tubes and ported heads. This should up boost by one psi I'm also going to add a meth nozzle in the back of the inlet to bring temps further down (currently have one before throttle body) there is no restriction from filter to throttle body I use a pro m 80 maf 4 inch rai and svo single blade tb....restriction is in inlet there is a sharp bend and two bosses to acces bolt holes I'm going to gut them out and enlarge the back of the inlet over an inch with sheet aluminum and port all the inside should flow great when done.... I'm going to add acces plates on the inlet to open up to get to the top plate rear blower manifold bolts so I can rid the bosses here's pics of untoched restrictive inlet it will also help when I swap the 1.5 for a 2.0 or 2.2 auto rotor in the next year or so i will update this when finished and log iat making 450 rwhp now looking for 475+

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Got to cutting into this thing opening up the back to add 1 1-2 inches and cut out the dip where the throttle bracket goes also began cutting the two bosses out and porting

image_2.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_3.jpg

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Btw the stock inlet flows 500 cfm wether it's a 1.5l or the new 2.1 sooooo if your 2.1 compressor flows 900 cfm of air this stock inlet is a huge restriction my 1.5 will flow 700 cfm so even such a small blower this stock inlet know supplies is a 200 cfm restriction.....should pick up quite a bit of power all kb owners should do this!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Tapping a 625 ml meth nozzle right before the screws and doing a 375 pre tb should bring iat down a lot and going to spray a 75 shot nitrous throug the blower looking for 600+ with nitrous and 500 on just boost car made 450 prior to the inlet mod

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I was pulling 2 in at 5k I didn't pay attention all the way to 6500 but it would of been probably been more a good 2 psi boost I bet now with adding a bypass it will help a ton and meth post rotors

Last edited:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I really opened it up it was so restrictive not even funny it only flowed little over 550 cfm according to the math at 4500 Rpms I was already getting the restriction at 6500 Rpms the 1.5 puts out 750 cfm spinning it to 17000 rpm so it was already a big restriction

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
what exactly are you measureing in inches of vacuum ? I want a 2.1 blower so bad just cant afford one yet.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Stock inlet is a restriction to the 1.5l now the 2.1 it's even worse as the 2.1 can flow 250 cfm more kennebell left a lot on the table I'm just squeezing it out

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
Well I'm paying attention here because I plan on bolting a kb to the top of my car eventually just not sure when but this is seems like a good thing to do but let me see if I'm following this correctly . you're saying that there should be a specific rpm that the inlet of the sc should have no vacuum ?

Users who are viewing this thread