Mods for the hood scoops

Cobra'03

Established Member
Postban is the man, but let me suggest some further refinements or observations based on work I did last night.

.5) Remove the hood pad and loosen the ground clip (this is needed because a composite hood passes RF waves). My car was washed once and already had water stains!
1) Leave the flaps on - you do not want to break them off, as they might be needed for resale, or worth something at a swap meet in 30 years! Here's what I did - put a blob of silicone sealer on the back and push it back onto the underside of the hood, duct tape it until it sets over night. The silicone is easily pulled free later and will leave no residue or damage the paint.

2) Now, cut the pad to match the shape of the hood scoops - trace it on to paper if you are not good at eyeballing things - I suggest making it about 1/2" bigger all around than the hood slots.

3) Now, IMHO, what we want is something that will seal to both the hood and the pad to keep water off of the surrounding area.
The solution - air conditioning weatherseal - go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy the following:

length of 2 1/4" square weather sealing foam - this is closed cell foam so iyt is a good insulator and resists water well, but still breathes. Mfr I found was Frost King.

another length of 1 1/4" same type - get two packages in case you mess up the first since there is not a lot left for this size after ypou complete the job

Some 3M "77" spray adhesive

some satin black spray paint

4) Spray the foam with the black paint nd let dry - this is for the anal types like me who like a nicely finished result

5) While it is drying, spray the metal side of the hood pad with the '77' - it has a precise valve so spray a good coat aout 2 inches around thge perimeter.

6) Take the foam and figure out which size needs to go where - in my car, the thicker foam went to the left and right outmost parts of the "rectangle". Try taking a small wedge of it and sandwiching it between the pad and the hood in the region to be foamed to see which goes where

7) Cut the foam pieces to proper lengths - I eyeball mitered them at different angles as necessary to make an occlusive fit - do not make it a hassle - if you have small gaps when you are done, just cut little shim pieces and wedge them in

8) Coat the foam pieces with the "77". Let dry - make sure they are good and dry, because the strength of the bond in this high heat area is determined by letting the glue set up.

9) Fit the pieces so you have a frame around the pad holes. I suggest extending your foam pieces about 1/2" beyond the edges - that way the water will tend to drip off of the foam, not as much the hood pad.

10) Refit the pad to the hood, do the fastener thing, re-attach the ground strap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread