Montana License Plates....

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
So you're fed-up with whats going on in your home state.... but you're hearing all the stories about Montana..... Thinking it's simple to set up an LLC in Montana to get your discount & some pretty cool license plates... just because....

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I'm not rich by no means.... but thought about getting it straight.... especially after having six [6] rides & paying taxes twice a year....Just paying to have [6] easily over $1000 a year but doesn't count toward your insurance premium.... So I'm paying like I'm just a newbie but after 20+ years with a family and all....

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I've heard some exotic owners (via youtube) mention it takes a lawyer and a couple grand. I decided to do a quick google and... How to register an exotic car in Montana TAX FREE

Montana License Plate Fees
Montana vehicle registrations are yearly.

Your total cost to have us form the MT LLC in one day and register your auto initially is $800 (An $825 luxury tax is charged by the state on vehicles with an original MSRP at or above $150,000.). Plates and registration will take about 1-3 days.

We establish Montana LLCs for you to own your vehicles for only $300, and we do it in a couple days. This includes the Articles of Organization, operating agreement, state filing fees, and our $49 a year Montana registered agent service.

Our county is Flathead County and does not have a county option tax because our county has more money and less people than most.

That means, if you buy an $800,000 Maserati, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche, Bugatti, McLaren, Aston Martin, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Mangusta, or any expensive vehicle, you’ll only be looking at $300 for a Montana LLC and $500 for us to get the plates, registration and title, and $825 for the Luxury Tax. Then you’ll pay yearly about $90-$220 to the Flathead DMV, $20 to the State of Montana for the LLC, and $49 a year for us to be your registered agent and for you to use our address.

The real beauty of the Montana LLC for holding exotic or specialty vehicles is if your car or truck is over 11 years old, you can get a permanent plate. Also, if you have an expensive vehicle, it will be owned in the Montana LLC. You can then transfer the ownership of the LLC with the Montana Secretary of State for $20 if you ever want to sell the vehicle, and the people you sell the vehicle to have a pre-licensed vehicle.

....the catch is I know for at least people in CA, there's a nark hotline. Yes, the state has a phone number you can call and report your neighbor driving on out of state plates. Outside of CA, an exotic car you drive once every other week, only a few thousand miles a year, I think you would be fine. Your daily driver, if you get pulled over by a small town cop who has seen you and that plate a couple times...best of luck. Their knowledge would be limited and they would likely be wanting you to have local plates.

Overall though, I sure would do it if I was buying an expensive car. Now my question is, if I win a new GT350 via some raffle, and thus they clearly say I will owe taxes and fees before delivery, would I be able to LLC/Montana that car? $800 and $200 yearly would be better than I've seen some people say 30% of a new cars price in taxes if you win it.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Massachusetts actually has similar hotline where you can rat out your neighbor for having out of state plates.

Also, most insurance companies today require you to list “principle garaging” IE where is the car kept most of the time. If you have an out of state plate and your car goes up in flames one night or a tree falls on it you’re SOL.

JJackson515

Established Member
Massachusetts actually has similar hotline where you can rat out your neighbor for having out of state plates.

Also, most insurance companies today require you to list “principle garaging” IE where is the car kept most of the time. If you have an out of state plate and your car goes up in flames one night or a tree falls on it you’re SOL.

I find this hard to believe. Your premium is based on your principle garage, they dont verify what state plates are on your vehicle. As long as the insurance company get their correct premium they could care less when it comes time to pay out.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I find this hard to believe. Your premium is based on your principle garage, they dont verify what state plates are on your vehicle. As long as the insurance company get their correct premium they could care less when it comes time to pay out.

A quick google about montana plates says otherwise, but also notes that companies like Grundy or Hagerty understand whats going on, and if you have Montana plates but tell them where the car will really be located, they are fine with it. Now State Farm...who knows.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Insurance premiums are based on all kinds of things, INCLUDING location. There are different risks for where people live. Flood, more snowfall, college campus, hail, tornados, etc... I imagine Montana is a fairly low priced area for insurance.

JJackson515

Established Member
A quick google about montana plates says otherwise, but also notes that companies like Grundy or Hagerty understand whats going on, and if you have Montana plates but tell them where the car will really be located, they are fine with it. Now State Farm...who knows.

Im insured by state farm, my dang near whole family and extended family has worked from them since they could hold a job. All they care about is the garaged location as they figure that's where its driven the most and will base your premium on that (among other non location based factors).

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Looked looked at it very seriously, risks were not worth the reward. A highlight, was retroactive taxes, WITH interest (in MA at least).

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Someone say montana plates?
6274a5dc441ca0b6fa21f35de2f462c3.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
Depends on the state you live in and how strict they are. I looked at Staubb for registering in Maine while I was in CT. A lot of guys were running around with ME plates. The ultra-libs started running news stories on it like it was the next plague and to think of the children. "Scofflaws" is what they called 'em. Being deep blue, CT had retroactive taxes and fines for anyone caught registering out of state to avoid emissions and taxes.

Where I am now, I doubt they give a damn.

_Snake_

Established Member

See below. Maine allows you to register certain trailers in their state even if you don’t live there. The neighboring states didn’t think too highly of it and created new laws/penalties/fines.

(not necessarily applicable to a denied claim based on location)

Depends on the state you live in and how strict they are. I looked at Staubb for registering in Maine while I was in CT. A lot of guys were running around with ME plates. The ultra-libs started running news stories on it like it was the next plague and to think of the children. "Scofflaws" is what they called 'em. Being deep blue, CT had retroactive taxes and fines for anyone caught registering out of state to avoid emissions and taxes.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
See below. Maine allows you to register certain trailers in their state even if you don’t live there. The neighboring states didn’t think too highly of it and created new laws/penalties/fines.

(not necessarily applicable to a denied claim based on location)
Yep. Everyone use to register trailers in Maine. Cops are cracking down hard on it. Few of my friends have gotten fines. Just sucks. I pay $260 a year for my gooseneck while Maine is $100 for 5 years.

CV355

_
Established Member
Yep. Everyone use to register trailers in Maine. Cops are cracking down hard on it. Few of my friends have gotten fines. Just sucks. I pay $260 a year for my gooseneck while Maine is $100 for 5 years.

Buddy of mine with a Saleen Mustang got hit pretty hard back around 12 years ago- the ME plate, "tax evasion," and bypassing emissions. He said his fine was 4 figures and he wound up selling the poor car.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I have an LLC in MT. Not illegal to have a business. It's not exactly free to do it, but it absolutely saves me money. For a daily, it's going to cost you more because you'll need a business car insurance policy, about 20% higher than whatever you're paying now. However, most specialty insurance companies do not care.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member

I guess I must be getting old.... 'Cause back in "da-day" in da late 90's.... I got my wife's first new car registered in New Hampshire & it seemed sooo much cheaper than doing it Maine.... but guessin' times have changed....

BUT I absolutely loved the simple green & white pl8s with the old-man-in-da-mountain logo.... "LIVE FREE OR DIE"

ALL-DA-WHILE.... I stilled had my connections to keep it cheap on my rides BY keeping the 808-State plates

Users who are viewing this thread