More nGauge clarification

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Since there have been numerous requests for clarification...

The nGauge is not exclusive to anyone.
I'll repeat that: The nGauge is not exclusive to ANYONE.

Lund has their own version that is only for Lund and can only be tuned by Lund.
If you're getting a Lund tune, use that version. Nobody else can access or retune that version of the nGauge.

The HP Tuners version is "open", meaning that you can choose any professional tuner in the country that has the HP Tuners tuning software (VCM Suite).
You can change tuners and you can also tune yourself if you have the HP Tuners software and are so inclined.

The HP Tuners version works on 11-15 Coyote, including Mustang and F150.
It also works on the '15 Mustang EcoBoost and 11-14 F150 Ecoboost (15 F150 EcoBoost is coming soon).
Many more applications coming soon!

It's in stock at JPC, Tuners Inc, Amazon and other HP Tuners dealers.

Long story short, you choose your nGauge according to who is doing your tuning.
If Lund is doing your tune, buy the Lund nGauge.
If *anyone else* is doing your tuning, if you ever think you may want to switch tuners someday or if you want a local dynotune, buy the HP Tuners version.
It is the only version dyno shops can access (unless they are sourcing out their tuning to Lund).

Both nGauges look exactly the same, both are made by e-motion products and both fit in the same mounting configurations.
Only the firmware is different.

Hope this helps!

Big Q

Established Member
Actually glad someone cleared that up, lots of info flying around. Gives those of us who Lund won't tune an option.

scott_0

Established Member
funny how all the Lund dealers touted it as a Lund exclusive lol smh

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
They can, for a fee. I believe they are going to charge $99 to change to their firmware from a non Lund version to lock it to Lund.
Once it's a Lund gauge, however, there is no going back.

This is a good option for those who initially use a different tuner (or tune themselves) and later decide to go with Lund.
This way, they don't have to buy another nGauge at $449....

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Bullitt 3309: Not sure why you would ask this as it is the same device, but no.
I've flashed my F150 no less than 75 times (testing multiple files and testing the device) with the HP Tuners version and haven't had one issue.

Last edited:

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
funny how all the Lund dealers touted it as a Lund exclusive lol smh

I have all of the respect for Lund, but yes, this was a choice of words I was not a fan of and it has caused me a great deal of work in clarifying.
The nGauge is not exclusive to Lund. The LUND nGauge is exclusive to Lund.
See what they did there?
They are credible enough and have enough of a following that they didn't need that angle, but I don't think any real harm was done.
It's sparked all of this conversation....

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Bullitt 3309: Not sure why you would ask this as it is the same device, but no.
I've flashed my F150 no less than 75 times (testing multiple files and testing the device) with the HP Tuners version and haven't had one issue.

I am asking since I have had the issue with my Lung nGauge. I have to put a charger on and keep voltage above 12.99 volts during flashing or it fails and bricks the ECU. I have to then disconnect the computer and wait 15 minutes to restore/reflash. Lund knows about issue and is working a fix, just wanted to know if it was something related to nGauge or Lund firmware.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I am asking since I have had the issue with my Lung nGauge. I have to put a charger on and keep voltage above 12.99 volts during flashing or it fails and bricks the ECU. I have to then disconnect the computer and wait 15 minutes to restore/reflash. Lund knows about issue and is working a fix, just wanted to know if it was something related to nGauge or Lund firmware.

I have seen this happen with procal, sct and yes even the hptuner vcm suite running off a laptop. These ECUs are very sensitive to voltage, they require steady voltage when changing strategies/tuning etc. After bricking mine, I always use a battery tender when changing tunes.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Since there have been numerous requests for clarification...

The nGauge is not exclusive to anyone.
I'll repeat that: The nGauge is not exclusive to ANYONE.

Lund has their own version that is only for Lund and can only be tuned by Lund.
If you're getting a Lund tune, use that version. Nobody else can access or retune that version of the nGauge.

The HP Tuners version is "open", meaning that you can choose any professional tuner in the country that has the HP Tuners tuning software (VCM Suite).
You can change tuners and you can also tune yourself if you have the HP Tuners software and are so inclined.

The HP Tuners version works on 11-15 Coyote, including Mustang and F150.
It also works on the '15 Mustang EcoBoost and 11-14 F150 Ecoboost (15 F150 EcoBoost is coming soon).
Many more applications coming soon!

It's in stock at JPC, Tuners Inc, Amazon and other HP Tuners dealers.

Long story short, you choose your nGauge according to who is doing your tuning.
If Lund is doing your tune, buy the Lund nGauge.
If *anyone else* is doing your tuning, if you ever think you may want to switch tuners someday or if you want a local dynotune, buy the HP Tuners version.
It is the only version dyno shops can access (unless they are sourcing out their tuning to Lund).

Both nGauges look exactly the same, both are made by e-motion products and both fit in the same mounting configurations.
Only the firmware is different.

Hope this helps!

Good info and thank you for the clarification! :beer:

AKDMB

Established Member
If someone could offer a VCM editor and ngauge package that would be great.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Damn it. So if I bought an nGauge from Lethal Performance without the Lund tune option (I already had a tune), does that mean my nGauge is locked to Lund tuning only?

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
If someone could offer a VCM editor and ngauge package that would be great.

Currently, you can buy VCM Suite Professional for $649 (Standard for $499) and that comes with everything you need to tune with or without your nGauge.
You simply take your stock read (with either the nGauge or the MPVI), create your tuned file in VCM Editor, save it as an .HPT file (for future editing) and then "export to e-motion".

The export will create an encrypted file that you then install on the micro SD card on your HP Tuners nGauge.
You can fill it with as many files as you want, up to the capacity of the SD card (which is plenty).

Users who are viewing this thread