Most you made on a 3.4 WHIPPLE?

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
Ive searched and only found TVS vs Whipple and Whipple vs KB. just want to know about the WHIPPLES!

Whats the most you or someone you know made on a 3.4 Whipple with or without the crusher? e85,c16, pump gas etc.
They say it can make 1,xxx hp but ive seen some make 800+ but never 1,000hp.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Ive searched and only found TVS vs Whipple and Whipple vs KB. just want to know about the WHIPPLES!

Whats the most you or someone you know made on a 3.4 Whipple with or without the crusher? e85,c16, pump gas etc.
They say it can make 1,xxx hp but ive seen some make 800+ but never 1,000hp.

Highest I have ever seen was like 860 or something like that, with closer to 900 for the torque. Built motor, high compression, E85, etc etc. I think the issue with the blowers is that it is really hard to feed it the air it needs for the higher power levels. The elbow on the back is a major restriction for air flow. But, then again, I could be wrong.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
03cobrra made like 950 or so. built boss 5.3, 10 rib drive, crusher, etc. he just parted it out too. he even sprayed it and made like 1100

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Friend of mine has a 3.4 on a built engine. Ported, cammed, race gas, etc. I think it's pullied for 26psi. He's making 790 to the tire.

GodStang

Established Member
A lot of the guys running the 3.4L and 3.6LC are running autos so their numbers will be less also than the manual guys.

gabe1530

Banned
are you trying to maximize your setup (the OW cobra in your sig?) ???

youll need the biggest exhaust and a crusher setup to get the full potential of your 3.4.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
are you trying to maximize your setup (the OW cobra in your sig?) ???

youll need the biggest exhaust and a crusher setup to get the full potential of your 3.4.

sorry for the late response. been super busy with work. YA. right now its none crusher and bassani mid lengths and a 2 1/2 exhaust. while the motor is being built ill be getting with the ARH long tubes with a 3 inch cat back, crusher and 1300 IDI.

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
thanks MalcolmV8. so far it looks like the 2.9 whipple is making the most hp. maybe ill max out the boost and see what the 3.4 can do.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
My car made 793hp on a mustang dyno, 28 psi non crusher, stocks heads, Comp cams, stock bottom end.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
thats good numbers. i only made 660hp on 21 psi non crusher. what pulleys did you have on to make 28psi?

3.25 upper and stock lower, was suppose to make 25psi per the boost chart from Whipple, this is on E85. But it made 3psi more than I thought, I was a little worried about it at the time but the car runs and sounds great.

4" upper and stock lower made 675hp with 19psi, both tunes were done the same day. I didn't purchase the crusher because it was gonna make more power by itself than I felt the stock motor could handle.

With a built motor and 9 to 1 compression, it would make 1k rwhp. If you look at the google spread sheet you'll notice all the 2.9 cars making 800 plus have built motors. There is one that is left blank but the other 3 at the top of the list are not on stock motor.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
sorry for the late response. been super busy with work. YA. right now its none crusher and bassani mid lengths and a 2 1/2 exhaust. while the motor is being built ill be getting with the ARH long tubes with a 3 inch cat back, crusher and 1300 IDI.

how many e85 stations do you have around you? are you able to run e85 full time?
if yes, i would go with 9.5 or 10:1 compression.

what else will you be having done to the built motor?

Last edited:

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
3.25 upper and stock lower, was suppose to make 25psi per the boost chart from Whipple, this is on E85. But it made 3psi more than I thought, I was a little worried about it at the time but the car runs and sounds great.

4" upper and stock lower made 675hp with 19psi, both tunes were done the same day. I didn't purchase the crusher because it was gonna make more power by itself than I felt the stock motor could handle.

With a built motor and 9 to 1 compression, it would make 1k rwhp. If you look at the google spread sheet you'll notice all the 2.9 cars making 800 plus have built motors. There is one that is left blank but the other 3 at the top of the list are not on stock motor.

did your boost drop off after 4500 rpms?
i noticed too that the top 3 guys are running stroker motors. Im hesitant to run a stroker just from what my tuner and storys i heard about strokers on 4.6's
i went on whipples website and cant find there chart, do you know where i can get it or tell me whats the max psi a 3.4 can put out?

Last edited:

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
how many e85 stations do you have around you? are you able to run e85 full time?
if yes, i would go with 9.5 or 10:1 compression.

what else will you be having done to the built motor?

theres several, 1 right down the street from my house. car is used for track or occasional cruise. always on e85.
motor is built but lost compression and spark plug thread came off and fell onto the cylinder crushing it into the valve.
ill probably take the stage 2 cams out and go with custom grind, billit crank, diamond pistons and whatever els the builder recommended. probably donate the left over parts to the mach ;-)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
i noticed too that the top 3 guys are running stroker motors. Im hesitant to run a stroker just from what my tuner and storys i heard about strokers on 4.6's
What downsides have you heard? I know they have a horrible rod to stroke ratio which puts a lot of side load on the pistons and they don't last as long in street engines with a lot of miles. I've also heard they don't rev as freely or quickly due to the longer stroke which makes sense. Other than that I hear lots of torque and power.

i went on whipples website and cant find there chart, do you know where i can get it or tell me whats the max psi a 3.4 can put out?
Probably because that's a very hard thing to do. It would require a specific set of conditions and engine configuration. Remember boost or PSI is just a measure of restriction to air flow. So if the 3.4 made 20 PSI on one car pulley'd identical on another car it may make 25 PSI because that motor doesn't flow as well and more air is backed up. That second motor would likely make less HP. See the problem there?

A better measurement would be what HP level does the blower support before boost or airflow starts to taper off in the upper RPMs because the blower can't keep up.

motor is built but lost compression and spark plug thread came off and fell onto the cylinder crushing it into the valve.
ill probably take the stage 2 cams out and go with custom grind, billit crank, diamond pistons and whatever els the builder recommended. probably donate the left over parts to the mach ;-)

Bummer on the spark plug threads falling into the cylinder. Was it a heli-coil of sorts that came loose or how did that happen?

Be cautious of Diamond pistons lately. You may have seen my fiasco with them recently this year. Took over 3 months to get pistons to me and then after assembling the motor found I didn't have piston to valve clearance required. Tore motor back down to discover they cut the valve reliefs in the wrong place and the intake valves were completely missing the reliefs. Had to strip bare and ship them back the pistons for replacement. They initially admitted fault then got nasty and tried to make me buy another set of pistons saying I ordered them wrong. I didn't though, had to argue and fight them for weeks. Finally got my replacement pistons but will NEVER do business with them again.

gabe1530

Banned
theres several, 1 right down the street from my house. car is used for track or occasional cruise. always on e85.

skip the diamonds and billet crank. you dont need billet crank, an oem one will hangle 1k hp with ease. i would get the gibtec pistons that Ed helped design.
http://www.modularfords.com/content/329-Off-The-Shelf-(OTS)-Custom-ModMotor-Pistons

you might as well get your heads ported if you havent already.

Users who are viewing this thread