Motor Mounts broken?

amnpalm

Established Member
Ok, guys here's the deal. I'm getting a bad vibration at high rpm's around 5000 it starts, and if I jump off the line hard the vibration is here. Took to Ford and they stated that I have broken 2 motor mounts and it will be $1200 to replace both. Told me that they would have to drop the K-member to them. Now my question is are they just bull sh!tting me or is it really that hard? I tool the car home and pulled out the manual to take a look for myself. The directions the manual had seem very straight forward and looked like a 4 hour job by myself, and thats me taking my time to clean everthing under there. Has anyone else heard about replacing motor mounts on a '97 Cobra being hard? When I do replace them would I go back the stock or aftermarket? Any advise is welcome. By the way, the car is total stock except for the suspension, I do autocross it, lots of FUN!!!! Thanks guys, Matt from Georgia.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Do not pay ANYONE $1200 to replace motor mounts. It is straight forward. Drop the k-member, unbolt the mounts from the block, bolt the new ones in, and put it all back together. It'll take you more than 4 hours if you're doing it yourself but it will only cost you the amount of new mounts.

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
I live in atlanta too and had mine replaced about 7 months ago at the dealership for around 650 including the mounts.

PM me about the dealership

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
dude....dealerships can charge motor mounts as a 9 hour job

lets see.....$79/hr labor x 9hrs=$711 in labor alone

i know people there and got a really good deal from them (I paid less than 650 but I can't advertise that here because no one else would get it). We don't all have the time or the tools for pulling our k-member out and just because someone pays a dealership to do work on their car doesn't mean they got ripped off. get a reality check

Last edited:

BRUTEL 1

Established Member
Originally posted by temjin9876
dude....dealerships can charge motor mounts as a 9 hour job

lets see.....$79/hr labor x 9hrs=$711 in labor alone

i know people there and got a really good deal from them (I paid less than 650 but I can't advertise that here because no one else would get it). We don't all have the time or the tools for pulling our k-member out and just because someone pays a dealership to do work on their car doesn't mean they got ripped off. get a reality check
dealers are at 102.50 per hour now.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You don't have to drop the K-member. You can loosen the motor mounts, lift the motor up some with a transmission jack, the remove the motor mounts from the K-member. Same way you lift the motor to put in LT's. DO NOT replace broken parts with the same part. If it has broken already, another equal part will not survive any longer. Get a good set of aftermarket mounts. Urethane may be a little stiffer, but in the long run it will far outlast the stock stuff.

PS. C'mon guys lighten up a little. Yes $1200 is way to high, $650 sounds high to me also. However, not all of us have the time, tools or mechanical ability to do some of these jobs.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Originally posted by temjin9876
why do you think I got ripped off?

because I didn't do them myself?

Because in my mind when you pay more for an install than the actual parts cost then you got ripped. Sure I understand if you physically just can't do it yourself and all that but friends go a long way and so does money...paying $700 essentially for motor mounts is just in my mind a rip off. Again though, if you think you made out fine on the deal then more power to you as in the end that's all that really matters.

SNK BITN

Established Member
Urethane is not solid. $700 is enough to get you a nitrous kit, and all you got was motor mounts. I dont find any comfort in spending large amounts of money and the car isnt any faster.

Users who are viewing this thread