Motor Trend Track Comparison between C8 and GT500 at VIR

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
I would venture and say that an upgrade in tire compound to that of the CFTP 500, as well the additional 2” of width front tire and almost 0.5” in the rear, would net a 2-3 sec improvement on that same lap / track.

I rewatched the lap and only followed the vette the 2nd time. I watched it again and compared the line to the gt500. Very telling/interesting things I noticed by doing so.

Honestly, on this particular track, I think a sticky tire would do very little, and a wider front tire may actually hurt turn in. The lap line seemed very rushed but I realized it’s a playful midship just hungry to take a set. It needs power for this track, but turn in and holding force was really great. Very agile. Pretty stable too.

Only places I really see a sticky tire helping is braking zones, especially high speed ones. The odd thing is the gt500 routinely stopped from higher speed quicker than the c8 and would reach a lower speed faster. 140-80 was faster in the gt500 than 130-90 in the vette. That could be intentional trailing though. Its fascinating to see where the gt500 put time on the c8. Speed was no contest, corners it would give up some. Braking zones. Wow. Just much better woah and go with competent enough yaw and turn in.

I think the c8 would need tires, brakes, and 150hp to keep up with the gt500 cftp. Rumor has it the next z06 will be a flat plane crank na 600-700hp mill, so that’s probably perfect.

The zr1 will be twin turbo fp v8 with 900hp if I heard right.

Good time to like American cars. They are officially hyper cars period at that point.

I’m hoping for a gt500 kr with more tech, lighter frame or massive lightening, and 850hp.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
It at the bottom of the MT link in the first post.

2:00.96 = C8 Z51
1:59.68 = 500 w/ Handling Pack
1:56.30 = 500 w/ CFTP

0-100-0
10.8 = C8
11.1 = 500 w/ Hand Pack
10.7 = 500 w/ CFTP

here is something else that I found interesting...

the c8 smoked both 500s in the 1/4. That’s insanity!

1/4 mile
11.1 @ 123 = C8
11.5 @ 129 = 500 w/ Hand Pack
11.3 @ 131 = 500 w/ CFTP

6B101424-FF06-40D1-B87B-5D116FE37449.jpeg

blk02edge

Established Member
I rewatched the lap and only followed the vette the 2nd time. I watched it again and compared the line to the gt500. Very telling/interesting things I noticed by doing so.

Honestly, on this particular track, I think a sticky tire would do very little, and a wider front tire may actually hurt turn in. The lap line seemed very rushed but I realized it’s a playful midship just hungry to take a set. It needs power for this track, but turn in and holding force was really great. Very agile. Pretty stable too.

Only places I really see a sticky tire helping is braking zones, especially high speed ones. The odd thing is the gt500 routinely stopped from higher speed quicker than the c8 and would reach a lower speed faster. 140-80 was faster in the gt500 than 130-90 in the vette. That could be intentional trailing though. Its fascinating to see where the gt500 put time on the c8. Speed was no contest, corners it would give up some. Braking zones. Wow. Just much better woah and go with competent enough yaw and turn in.

I think the c8 would need tires, brakes, and 150hp to keep up with the gt500 cftp. Rumor has it the next z06 will be a flat plane crank na 600-700hp mill, so that’s probably perfect.

The zr1 will be twin turbo fp v8 with 900hp if I heard right.

Good time to like American cars. They are officially hyper cars period at that point.

I’m hoping for a gt500 kr with more tech, lighter frame or massive lightening, and 850hp.
I would bet a base powered C8 with similar downforce and tire would match the CFTP no problem. Grand sport should do the trick to equalize that gap, the Z06 will no doubt be beyond and a ZR1 will be ACR-E territory but also fast in a straight line

My94GT

Established Member
I would bet a base powered C8 with similar downforce and tire would match the CFTP no problem. Grand sport should do the trick to equalize that gap, the Z06 will no doubt be beyond and a ZR1 will be ACR-E territory but also fast in a straight line

I have a feeling this is how it will shake out too. I really look forward to the GS. I’d love me a C8Z but have a feeling it may be out of price range with baby two on the way. C8GS however may fit the bill and will be a fun weekend car. Also knowing Chevy they will be running great financing specials on it not far along after it’s release. Some 0% financing availability would make it a stupid deal lol.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

1/4 mile
11.1 @ 123 = C8
11.3 @ 131 = 500 w/ CFTP

View attachment 1614709

That's odd as Ford engineers made it clear that the Base car is quicker in the 1/4 mile than the CFTP car.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Sorry man, a 650HP C8 with the corresponding suspension/tires/brakes/aero would crush a CFTP. Tracks that aren’t pure HP tracks, with 40% straightaways would be even more ugly.

Food for thought.......The C7 ZR1 with a slush box auto, completely overpowered chassis and twitchy handling is capable of running a 1:51.xx at this track.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That's odd as Ford engineers made it clear that the Base car is quicker in the 1/4 mile than the CFTP car.

It might have something to do with the stickier compound tire and much lighter wheel.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

1/4 mile
11.1 @ 123 = C8
11.3 @ 131 = 500 w/ CFTP

View attachment 1614709
Considering the first GT500 went 10.66 at 133 with less than 3k miles on it, I’m assuming those numbers are wrong at a decent prepared strip.

gofast15

Established Member

1/4 mile
11.1 @ 123 = C8
11.3 @ 131 = 500 w/ CFTP

View attachment 1614709
It sure did but that didn't run them on the same day . I'm sure the temperature made pretty big difference. C8 was run back in September when it was still nice and warm .GT500 was run last month on a cold day .
It will be cool to see them run on the same day , same road/ track surface

gofast15

Established Member
Seems like the lap times are from completely different days too .
M/T needs to stop this BS and test cars on the same day .

Screenshot_20191217-223506_Chrome.jpg

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
Sorry man, a 650HP C8 with the corresponding suspension/tires/brakes/aero would crush a CFTP. Tracks that aren’t pure HP tracks, with 40% straightaways would be even more ugly.

Food for thought.......The C7 ZR1 with a slush box auto, completely overpowered chassis and twitchy handling is capable of running a 1:51.xx at this track.

I’m specifically saying at this exact track.

I bet at chevys home proving ground track in Michigan, a stock c8 z51 is ahead of of within whiskers of a gt500cftp. Different circuits have entirely different challenges and opportunities for any given car. Very few cars are McLaren 720s fast on every setup.

For this VIR layout, the c8 needs more power imo.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member

I think it could be possible with a real hot shoe of a driver, but just tires, brakes (like pads and fluid not insane stuff) and 100hp would do it. It’s far easier to power a car around a track vs momentum yer way around it. Momentum driving is exceptionally valuable to learn though. Aero wise, more downforce would further hurt speed. It was already ahead of the base gt500 in corners, it needs more acceleration and top end. Downforce might improve cornering speed by 5-10% but the further lost time/speed on he straights and long stretches would wash the gain imo

blk02edge

Established Member
Even the 720S and GT2RS?
Maybe, non of us really knows, depends how chevy goes about building it but I would bet that the GT2RS would be the goal. Which is as elite as it gets minus the Senna.

I think it could be possible with a real hot shoe of a driver, but just tires, brakes (like pads and fluid not insane stuff) and 100hp would do it. It’s far easier to power a car around a track vs momentum yer way around it. Momentum driving is exceptionally valuable to learn though. Aero wise, more downforce would further hurt speed. It was already ahead of the base gt500 in corners, it needs more acceleration and top end. Downforce might improve cornering speed by 5-10% but the further lost time/speed on he straights and long stretches would wash the gain imo
Even on big power track the straight line speed is usually a fairy negligible difference as a lot of that is recouped in braking. Braking>speed. My track has a 1/2 mile straight, most cars put like 36 space shuttle lengths on me by the end but they brake at the 150, I brake at the 0 and its just amazing how much ground is made back up. But yea, lots of variables there. Ill stick to a 495hp C8 being able to keep up to a CFTP. From a joe public stand point the C8 will have all the extra potential as well, people modding the CFTP will gain little to nothing.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
Maybe, non of us really knows, depends how chevy goes about building it but I would bet that the GT2RS would be the goal. Which is as elite as it gets minus the Senna.

Even on big power track the straight line speed is usually a fairy negligible difference as a lot of that is recouped in braking. Braking>speed. My track has a 1/2 mile straight, most cars put like 36 space shuttle lengths on me by the end but they brake at the 150, I brake at the 0 and its just amazing how much ground is made back up. But yea, lots of variables there. Ill stick to a 495hp C8 being able to keep up to a CFTP. From a joe public stand point the C8 will have all the extra potential as well, people modding the CFTP will gain little to nothing.

Getting a base/z51 c8 to keep up with gt500’s will require tires and bolt ons imo. Improving on a gt500 cftp will require real race car mods. (That means diet metal, diet everything.) It’s essentially a softened gt4 racecar with a blower. By softened I mean loaded with comfort aids and loads of tech.

The c8 will be hard to modify though with its ecu. It will be hard for an average guy to get much more power out without swapping the ecu or getting very smart software to talk to it.

Correct me if I’m wrong though on the c8 computer, I haven’t kept up on stuff

blk02edge

Established Member
Getting a base/z51 c8 to keep up with gt500’s will require tires and bolt ons imo. Improving on a gt500 cftp will require real race car mods. (That means diet metal, diet everything.) It’s essentially a softened gt4 racecar with a blower. By softened I mean loaded with comfort aids and loads of tech.

The c8 will be hard to modify though with its ecu. It will be hard for an average guy to get much more power out without swapping the ecu or getting very smart software to talk to it.

Correct me if I’m wrong though on the c8 computer, I haven’t kept up on stuff
well the Z51 already does keep up with the GT500 as-is. Running stiffer bars, tires and matching pads will put it very close to the impossible to get CFTP. Mod for mod its right there with the base 500 and you don't need to touch the engine. For the straight line guys the obvious answer is the shelby right now.

TERMN8U

Established Member
**** offffff... you have nothing good to say about Fords. Just be gone. We are all tired of you. GT500 rocks and all you can do is come up with negative BS. The car traps low 130’s. Its a beast! Few people seem to be able to handle how awesome this car is.

blk02edge

Established Member
**** offffff... you have nothing good to say about Fords. Just be gone. We are all tired of you. GT500 rocks and all you can do is come up with negative BS. The car traps low 130’s. Its a beast! Few people seem to be able to handle how awesome this car is.
Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread