Motor trend-Viper vs GT vs Z06

Formula51

Established Member
elitewolverine said:
Already proved you wrong about second fastest production car! Need more proof! Carrera GT Zonda buggati slr mclaren...

No you did not. All of those cars listed between the Carrera GT and the Z06 were not "production stock". The only one I am not sure of is the re-test of the Mclaren SLR which may have had race tires. I have forgotten.

elitewolverine said:
making 550rwhp the GT is one tuff machine on tight tracks, "rumors"have said that 7:35 is possible in a GT, considering it wasnt that much slower than a Carrera GT in acceleration, in fact from 180-202mph the GT matched the Carrera GT in acceleration, thats matched it folks, thats the same car that runs the ring in 7:28

Hmmm, well we can absolutely ALL disregard your posts now as you have proven you know nothing about which you speak of.

How often will one of these cars accelerate up to "202mph" in a lap at the Ring oh wise one?

How often will these cars brake into turns? It is somewhere in the 60-80 range I think (anyone have the number of turns handy?).

I do not believe the slight acceleration advantage of the GT to be enough to overcome the larger braking advantage of the Z06 on the Ring. At a track like Gingerman or Willow Springs, with long straits and roughly 10 turns (high speed), the better acceleration is enough to give the GT the win over the Z06. I do not think this will be the case on the Ring. The Ford GT certainly will not run anywhere near a 7:35 with stock tires. Remember that the Carrera GT comes from the factory with DOT tires, which is a huge advantage over the run-craps on the Z06 and the Ford GT tires. It also weighs less and has ceramic brakes (superb heat dissipation).

The old saying that horsepower wins races, is often not true on a road course. BRAKES and TIRES win races. The Carrera GT, Ford GT, and Z06 are all very close in horsepower to weight ratio BUT, the Carrera GT has better brakes then the Z06 which has better brakes than the Ford GT. The Carrera GT has better tires than the Ford GT which has better tires than the Z06(?).

Formula51

Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
It was over 2 seconds quicker at willowsprings last time I was there, and The GT driver had to pussy foot it around because he couldn't lay all the power down. This track is a 1:30-1:40 track. 2 seconds on a minute and a half track is 10 car lenghts. I talked to both owners.

Gt was bone stock, Z06 had a "fuse" mod, and some sort of intake.

It is also called the FASTEST TRACK IN THE WEST! The GT will shine there and it sounds like the Z06 needed the driver mod as they were tested there by one of the magazines and were within a second of each other I believe.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
the ring has 147 corners... and is 13miles long. braking will be crucial here

Hopefully you figured it out...if not, here it is: How many C6 Z owners will/can run a 7:42 at the N-ring with only shaved tires? Exactly. How many C6Z owners have run 11.5 @ 126-127 bone stock? Exactly. How many Ford GT owners have ran 11.2 @ 130 bone stock? Exactly.

In the words of snorman...nothing but unicorns.

So, here is the point in a different explination. WTF are people (i.e. mostly BS talking, envious non-owners) so hung up on magazine numbers for when the real owners can't even replicate them?

wow, that like the best post i have seen from you. you should have said all this in the first post about the whole 1% thing to help clarify it better for everyone to understand. cuz at first, i was like where the hell are you gettin this info from?? and after this, you bring up some good points. and i can understand where your coming from.

now granted, i think 1% is still way off but its a low percentage of owners that can do the magazine posted times stock on the drag strip and the road courses. alot of the owners dont really do these events and are that good.

and SO many of the Z06 c5 cars are FAR from stock anymore, and the owners never ran them stock.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
It was over 2 seconds quicker at willowsprings last time I was there, and The GT driver had to pussy foot it around because he couldn't lay all the power down.

what is all this talk i hear of the GT not being able to put all its power down? is it poor suspension design? or bad tires or both? whats going on? other cars dont seem to have a problem.

AZGT

GT Fan
A number of the discussion boards look at the magazine comparisons of the GT, Z06, and the Viper. I don't think that they are looking at what is the best in terms of fine line numbers, they are saying there are three great AMERICAN muscle / exotic cars that can compete with anything in the world.

I have owned (and still own) Corvettes (love them), Jaguars (including an XJR) and various hotrods (63 Covette that ran 12.07 in 1969 when that was a fast time, and last was a 63 Chevy with a Hilborn injected L-88). But, like someone said on another board, the GT-40 was the car that as a teenager I said "Oh my God, look at that". I always wanted one, but could never afford one (especially now, at the million dollar mark). However, it was the look that was the attraction, so the GT is a great substitute.

There are various tests that shows one of the three (GT, Z06, Viper) having an advantage here or there, but those differences are not what will make one buy one car or the other. I have read a lot of the GT reviews and have seen the 3.3 / 3.4 0 - 60 times, the 11.3 quarter, and even one that said they had an unofficial top speed in one of their laps somewhere around 216 - 218. But none of that matters. It is what you want. None of us (you) will say "I will buy the GT because if was .01 seconds faster here, or the Z06 because it was .01 seconds faster there.

I can tell you that the experience of driving the GT is INCREDIBLE. The specs from Ford / Roush (SAE Technical Papers 2004-01-1252) had a design prerequisite that required that 80 percent of the torque is in by 2000 RPM. You can feel it. The acceleration is just phenomenal. There isn't enough road anywhere (except a track I guess) where I can "run through the gears". By the time I am in third, it is pretty much a white knuckle ride.

When buying the GT I never said "how fast is it" or "which is faster". It didn't matter - it was the Gestalt of the GT. Like a previous thread said, the response I get from other drivers is amazing. I did not buy the car to impress people, it is truely for me as my dream and the fact that the speed doesn't hurt (it could have been slower and I still would havebought it). I have had people take pictures of me driving down the road - had people literally run across the street screaming to look at the car, etc. I even took it to a hotrod show to see what the rodders thought of it - it was a show stopper. Just for fun I even took it to a Ferrari show and, again, even for that group, everyone stopped what they were doing to look at us drive by.

I think the Z06 is a great car. Actually have seen two on the street. The difference though is that most of us will look at them and say it is a great great. People look at the GT and just flat about fall over. You have an exotic car with a supercharged engine under glass. That is a WOW factor that the Corvette just doesn't have. It is the "that's a nice ride" versus "WOW". In a sense the Viper is probably as exotic as the GT, but we are all to used to seeing it so it has lost some of that intial excitement.

The difference in price between the GT and the others naturally is an issue. Of course, part of the difference is going to be due to the lower volume and therefore higher cost of manufacture of the GT as compared to the others. In addition, the GT has big names associated with it - body by Saleen, motor by Roush, etc.

And, as others have noted, yes, the GT can now be pruchased at or below MSRP. There is even one advertised in the current Autoweek for MSRP, a magazine where a lot of the GTs used to be around the 200K level.

Anyway, a lot of writing, but just wanted to inject a view from both a Corvette owner and lover as well as a GT owner.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Mad Max said:
LS1's were going from like 280-300rwhp stock snip...

Mine dynoed 319whp bone stock, and 408 to the ground after a cam/headers/lid/bolt-ons. There are some that produce high numbers above 420rwhp with stock heads but it is rare and NOT the average.

Users who are viewing this thread