Motorcycle jacket question

03CobraBro

Established Member
Ok, bought a Shift Avenger Jacket (non leather) has the pads, adjustments, all of that good stuff. Naturally being my first jacket I bought a size too large. Well a week later I brought the jacket back and I traded for a size smaller. Seemed to fit great, but sure enough when I went out to ride it ballooned. It's like riding with an elephant on my back at speeds over 70mph and if I ride more than 20 minutes my arms start to feel like they're falling asleep cause the air pushes the seam back up against the edge of my arm pits.

Is all of this normal for a jacket? Is my jacket too big or maybe its just the wrong style of jacket? I love the way it looks and when I tried to on and sat on a bike it felt like it would work but it sure doesn't feel right when I'm actually riding.

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Ok, bought a Shift Avenger Jacket (non leather) has the pads, adjustments, all of that good stuff. Naturally being my first jacket I bought a size too large. Well a week later I brought the jacket back and I traded for a size smaller. Seemed to fit great, but sure enough when I went out to ride it ballooned. It's like riding with an elephant on my back at speeds over 70mph and if I ride more than 20 minutes my arms start to feel like they're falling asleep cause the air pushes the seam back up against the edge of my arm pits.

Is all of this normal for a jacket? Is my jacket too big or maybe its just the wrong style of jacket? I love the way it looks and when I tried to on and sat on a bike it felt like it would work but it sure doesn't feel right when I'm actually riding.

What material is it? Mesh or textile? Do you have the waist adjusted tight? The waist should not be loose and it should be at or above your belt line.

edit: Buy this jacket if they have your size.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/teknic/lightning_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
What material is it? Mesh or textile? Do you have the waist adjusted tight? The waist should not be loose and it should be at or above your belt line.

Yes I'v adjusted the waist loose and tight, I'v tried to take the pads in and out, I'v tried to adjust the cuffs. I'v had the liner in and out. It is a textile jacket. Do these jackets have a tendency to loosen up over time? I'v only wore it maybe 10 times if that.

Maybe I need to do some push ups or something. lol

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Yes I'v adjusted the waist loose and tight, I'v tried to take the pads in and out, I'v tried to adjust the cuffs. I'v had the liner in and out. It is a textile jacket. Do these jackets have a tendency to loosen up over time? I'v only wore it maybe 10 times if that.

Maybe I need to do some push ups or something. lol

Do you mean the entire jacket is inflating? Or is it blowing up against you like a sail?

Inflating may just be a design flaw, and your outta luck. If it is blowing up against you the jacket is still too big around the chest.

I have the same teknic jacket that I just posted... it is an amazing jacket. Full leather with stretch material for only $99! And the jacket is build like a brick shithouse.

edit: Oh, and when fitting a MC jacket, when standing it should be snug around your belly and TIGHT around your chest, but loose behind your armpits and your upper back. A good MC jacket should feel comfy when riding and not when standing up (zippered up of course)

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Do you mean the entire jacket is inflating? Or is it blowing up against you like a sail?

Inflating may just be a design flaw, and your outta luck. If it is blowing up against you the jacket is still too big around the chest.

I have the same teknic jacket that I just posted... it is an amazing jacket. Full leather with stretch material for only $99! And the jacket is build like a brick shithouse.

edit: Oh, and when fitting a MC jacket, when standing it should be snug around your belly and TIGHT around your chest, but loose behind your armpits and your upper back. A good MC jacket should feel comfy when riding and not when standing up (zippered up of course)

That link you showed me looked good! I'm pretty certain its quite loose in the chest area, which oddly enough isn't something I seemed to notice when I went from an XL to a L. Anyway, I still have all the tags to the jacket I have now and its pretty much a brand new jacket so hopefully I can get at least a good portion out of what I paid for it. Thanks for the help!

97cobra1

Established Member
That link you showed me looked good! I'm pretty certain its quite loose in the chest area, which oddly enough isn't something I seemed to notice when I went from an XL to a L. Anyway, I still have all the tags to the jacket I have now and its pretty much a brand new jacket so hopefully I can get at least a good portion out of what I paid for it. Thanks for the help!

What's your build? size/weight? what's your chest measure? most companies have a reference chart for chest measurements (in inches) if they do the s/m/l sizing. i know a few companies like alpinestars just do inch sizes.

I have two icon jackets right now, the daytona and the accelerant both in small. Both are full leather jackets and they're both super comfortable riding and just wearing it standing.

Find a company like shift icon or alpinestars that makes a street line of jackets. They're be cut quite a bit more comfortable. I gave away a textile jacket about a month after buying it. Scorpion is another up and coming company that's starting to get all their shit right. Tried on one of their street jackets about 6 months ago and i was rather impressed with the fit.

I'll always wear leather, I'd rather sweat than bleed.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
what's your build? Size/weight? What's your chest measure? Most companies have a reference chart for chest measurements (in inches) if they do the s/m/l sizing. I know a few companies like alpinestars just do inch sizes.

I have two icon jackets right now, the daytona and the accelerant both in small. Both are full leather jackets and they're both super comfortable riding and just wearing it standing.

Find a company like shift icon or alpinestars that makes a street line of jackets. They're be cut quite a bit more comfortable. I gave away a textile jacket about a month after buying it. Scorpion is another up and coming company that's starting to get all their shit right. Tried on one of their street jackets about 6 months ago and i was rather impressed with the fit.

i'll always wear leather, i'd rather sweat than bleed.

+1

homer302

Banned
I have had 3 jackets so far. ALL 3 WERE RETURNED and exchanged for a different size. I feel your pain. I think helmets and jackets should be bought when they are so small they hurt. You think there is no way you could wear it. Somehow, they stretch out a crazy amount. My current helmet is still too big. When I get up to 80-90 it starts to lift.
I dont know why this gear seems to grow after wearing it. I feel your pain.
Didn't read every post but I have had OEM Honda leather jacket, another OEM Honda jacket and a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Also a KVM helmet, an HJC helmet and a Simpson helmet.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
My jacket was custom fitted by Thurlow Leatherword. They make all their products out of deerskin. The last contact that i had with them was twenty years ago. They also made all my custom fit gloves out of deerskin. Very comfortable.
They make riding wear for the more mature rider and tourer. Not for sportbike riders.
But I know for a fact that the stuff works great. My hands survived a 180mph getoff on the salt at Bonneville with no damage at all other than a few scuffs.
The rest of me survived too. And the bike and I ran again the next day.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Sell it/return it and buy a leather jacket.

Yeah that's the plan. I think I can get atleast 150 to 200 out of it. My Grandpa has rode his hole life. He told me the exact same thing (Sell it and go leather)

Edit: Thanks for the pointers guys. Definitely going to do some shopping soon.

Last edited:

Dubbsy

Go big or go broke.
Established Member
I have a Joe Rocket textile and it does not inflate when riding even at 120mph. Something is wrong with what your doing.

Yeah, I have a castle textile and mine is fine at most any speed. Only time I notice it start to balloon is if I have the liner in it and I let air in the sleeves.

I'd cringe at the thought of weather leather all the time though. Its one thing if you're racing or on the highway all the time, but I DD mine through town and I'd be a sweaty mess by the time I got to work (and being a sweaty mess in the office isn't an option).

03CobraBro

Established Member
I just need to actually have my dimensions taken. Most of the jackets I saw at the shop were either medium, large, or XL. There is definitely a lot of slack in the chest area with my jacket. Like I said I can either do some push ups or butter flies and try to fit into the thing over the course of the next couple of years or I can buy a jacket that fits. :)

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Yeah that's the plan. I think I can get atleast 150 to 200 out of it. My Grandpa has rode his hole life. He told me the exact same thing (Sell it and go leather)

Edit: Thanks for the pointers guys. Definitely going to do some shopping soon.

When they run out of that teknic I linked for you, they are out... it is on clearance. I would seriously just by that one... You wont find a better jacket for $300, let alone $99. If your a 42 chest, buy a 44... they run one size small.

Users who are viewing this thread