Motorcycle Riding Gear

roadracer247

Established Member
upload_2019-5-28_16-22-38.jpeg
FFE5FFFA-6984-4582-8281-996498A173BC.jpeg
Looking for very high quality riding gear for dual sport riding in the heat. Quality is most important. Prefer brighter/lighter colors for better visibility and heat dissipation from vents. Lots of 90-100+ days here in the summer months. That said, I don’t want black. Too hot.

I’ve attached a picture of the bike and helmet just for fun. Most of riding style is twisty back roads and adventures down fire roads and modest exploring around off-road parks. No jumping. No hardcore technical rides at the moment.

I don’t mind buying separate winter riding gear. I won’t be commuting on my bike.

Recommendations?

Coiled03

Established Member
My preference in all motorcycle gear is Alpinestars. But, there are a ton of good brands out there. Johnny Rocket, and Thor come to mind readily. There are probably a bunch more if you look.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Alpinestars shoes, gloves and jacket. Their gloves fit me the best for the XL size. First actual riding shoe I’ve owned and they’re comfy for longer rides. Jacket fit me great at 215lbs. I tried a Scorpion helmet a few years ago and haven’t ever wanted anything else. Reasonable price, wind noise isn’t bad and I added the Sena Bluetooth/intercom. I can actually talk on the phone while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadracer247

Established Member
Alpinestars shoes, gloves and jacket. Their gloves fit me the best for the XL size. First actual riding shoe I’ve owned and they’re comfy for longer rides. Jacket fit me great at 215lbs. I tried a Scorpion helmet a few years ago and haven’t ever wanted anything else. Reasonable price, wind noise isn’t bad and I added the Sena Bluetooth/intercom. I can actually talk on the phone while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see I’m on the right path. I was literally just looking at Alpinestars gear before I checked in here.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
had alpine stars gloves, worst gloves I ever bought. They lasted less than a year maybe 6 months? LOL, **** alpine stars.
I've bought dainese and havent havent looked back. They are pricey tho. Might want to check revvit, not as pricey but good quality.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Alpinestars all the way
had alpine stars gloves, worst gloves I ever bought. They lasted less than a year maybe 6 months? LOL, **** alpine stars.
I've bought dainese and havent havent looked back. They are pricey tho. Might want to check revvit, not as pricey but good quality.
Don’t jerk off the entire group before riding and the gloves will last.

08mojo

Established Member
A lot of people in the adventure ride/dual sport group swear by Klim gear. I don't own any, so I cannot comment on the quality/performance. For me: off-road is either Fox or Thor, on-road is either Alpinestar or Dainese.

CV355

_
Established Member
+1 on Dainese. While I have not owned a Dainese jacket, some of the guys I used to ride with all wore Dainese on the hottest summer days and swore by them. I had an Alpinestars mesh jacket which was decent in the heat and absolutely terrible in the cold (Duh). When I bought my Triumph, it came with a $1200 gear voucher, so I bought all Triumph-brand gear, which was awesome. I got their adventure-style gear, which was surprisingly good in the heat.

On the hottest days, 95+, I'll admit, I went squid-mode. I always wear a helmet, gloves, long pants, boots, etc, but a jacket was too much in the searing hot summer days.

Summer Motorcycle Jackets | Ventilated Warm & Hot Weather Jackets - RevZilla

Another option you can consider is using a cooler vest under a jacket.
The Original Cool Vest - Body Cooling Vest Ice Vest - Glacier Tek

If I start to overheat, I'm done.

Adower

Established Member
Helmet - get which ever one fits your head the best a arai/shoes/shark. Expect to pay ~$500 for a solid color

Gear - Dainese. Get a leather for full protection. They have jackets which are perforated for riding during the summer. That textile stuff is spotty if you go down at high speed.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Beautiful Husky.

I use(d) Alpinestar. Had a pair of gloves and jacket for years that still are in good condition(bought in 2010). Never had any QC/QA with their gear, from on-road to off-road applications.

It's been a while since I've looked at gear, but there are some leather jackets that have some nice perforation. Worth the added cost.

Blackoyote

Established Member
A* glove quality is absolute garbage these days, even on their high end gauntlets.

For gloves, I'd be looking at someone like Heroic, Five, or Knox (Handroid).

Only other thing I can tell you about is helmets as I'm not versed in the adventure/dual sport gear scene...try on a Bell, Shoei, and Arai as they all have different profiles and get whatever fits BEST.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, get a set of SM wheels for that thing for when you know you won't be hitting the power lines!

My94GT

Established Member
I’ll agree, avoid A* gloves as they are known to pop seams and that’s the last thing you want. Their suits aren’t bad, but if I got back into riding I’d go either custom made suit or higher end dainese. Their stuff is top quality.

Helmets I’d stick to name brand, Bell, AGV, Shoei, aria. Find what fits the shape of your head the best.

My94GT

Established Member
My a star gloves popped seams riding streets, meanwhile I went down at two separate track weekends with a set of held phantoms and they could have still seen more use.

Dainese gloves are basically like slipping your hands into silky smooth vag. Would definitely buy again if I ever scoop up another bike.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Who jerks people off with gloves, and whats the point of jerking them off when you will bottom for them, right sadie?
Just trying to help you figure out your problems. But seriously, I never had a problem with any of my A* gear. Maybe quality has gone down since I stopped riding.

1996slowbra

Established Member
A lot of people in the adventure ride/dual sport group swear by Klim gear. I don't own any, so I cannot comment on the quality/performance. For me: off-road is either Fox or Thor, on-road is either Alpinestar or Dainese.

I am all Klim for my adventure riding. A* for my on road gear. I ride year round and Klim makes some awesome waterproof gear and fantastic all weather adventure riding stuff. A* is more road and straight dirt bike focused IMO.

I have Klim Gortex gauntlets, Klim Krios helmet, and Klim Traverse Jacket, though I am not sure I would want the gloves or jacket were I riding in 100+ degree weather. For pants I use my Dirt bike Pants if its dry or Overpants if its raining, boots are my Sidi Crossfire 3's.

Coiled03

Established Member
Just trying to help you figure out your problems. But seriously, I never had a problem with any of my A* gear. Maybe quality has gone down since I stopped riding.

Same here. Owned A* gloves, boots, and leathers. Never had a single issue. But I also haven't been riding for awhile. Maybe they outsourced to China? No clue.

1996slowbra

Established Member
Same here. Owned A* gloves, boots, and leathers. Never had a single issue. But I also haven't been riding for awhile. Maybe they outsourced to China? No clue.

Quality has definitely declined on their newer stuff, I have a 3 year old soft-shell that is coming apart at the seams and needs to be replaced, god knows how it would hold up in a crash. I have heard really bad things about their cheaper(still100+) SP series gloves, mainly that in a wreck they offer inadequate wrist protection and burn through quickly. Also havent heard the best things about their moto boots, but in that category you definitely get what you pay for. My boots were almost 500 new and cost more than any other single piece of dirt bike gear I have.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Quality has definitely declined on their newer stuff, I have a 3 year old soft-shell that is coming apart at the seams and needs to be replaced, god knows how it would hold up in a crash. I have heard really bad things about their cheaper(still100+) SP series gloves, mainly that in a wreck they offer inadequate wrist protection and burn through quickly. Also havent heard the best things about their moto boots, but in that category you definitely get what you pay for. My boots were almost 500 new and cost more than any other single piece of dirt bike gear I have.
Well that is shitty to hear. Odd about the motocross boots, are you talking the lower tier boots or the Tech 10’s?

Users who are viewing this thread