Moving to Delhi, India - thoughts/experiences?

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
I'm in the running for a kick ass job working with the India Navy. It is a 3 year position and they will pay to relocate me and my family to southern Delhi. I will not have to worry about driving or traffic since a vehicle and driver will be provided for me. I am currently in Afghanistan and have been to Iraq multiple times, but India is a new venture for me, as this is a permanent position, not contractor work like I've done in the past.

My questions are what is it like living there as an American? If you have been there, did you have a hard time finding food you liked? Decent restaurants for westerners? How about entertainment? Are there movie theaters, bars etc? What is it like living amongst the local people? How is the housing? A 3 bed 2 bath house is provided by the company for me, but I'm mainly curious if the places are nice or more on the run down side. How about the quality of doctors and healthcare? I am doing my own research as well, but figured I'd check in here to see if anyone has experience there. Thanks. :beer:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Good News!!! I hear they have the Internet and Bollywood:banana: Good luck, it sounds like an adventure! Tell Raj's parents I said hello.

3700155454-electrical-wiring-street-delhi-india.jpg

*Image taken just down the street from your call center*

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Never been to India but i assume we only see the stereotype we are forced to watch on movies etc. I bet it has its nice places.

Sent from my office in the Bureau

jbs$

Established Member
Find some expats who are living there now, get a start on hiring your house staff and a good understanding of what security level you will need for your children. Do not walk in as if you are moving to Atlanta.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
All the good doctors are in America, LOL!

For you it sounds like it will be an incredible opportunity. Just don;t drink the water or swim in the rivers.

hoamskilet

Established Member
If it stinks as bad as the apartment buildings that I've been in that are full of Indian people here, you couldn't pay me enough to even consider living there

o2k

Noob
Established Member
Sounds awesome.. Just be extra cautious until you figure out everything. Hope you post up pics and your experience..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Find some expats who are living there now, get a start on hiring your house staff and a good understanding of what security level you will need for your children. Do not walk in as if you are moving to Atlanta.

You must not visit Atlanta much. You'd need security there too. LOL.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
its not too bad, you can have a river death ritual and bathe in the same place lol 2 birds with one stone

Users who are viewing this thread