Moving to Greenville, NC Any advice, opinions?

LtDavis

Established Member
My fiance got a very good job offer in Greenville and after some discussion she's taking it and we're definitely moving down.

Looking at places to rent right now, I told her my only requirement is that it has a big enough garage to fit the fox, my toolbox and work benches, etc... Shes going back down at the end of this week to look at the places we found online. They all seem in nice neighborhoods, but are there any areas that should be avoided?

From what I found, car emissions and gun laws seem to be about the same as here in PA so I don't think I have much to worry about there. Is the Sheriff pro-2nd Amendment? Do they make you jump through hoops to get your license to carry? I see NC is a shall issue state but it also said its ultimately up to the Sheriff's discretion.

How are the police with modified cars? Obviously not about driving like a jack ass but like with window tint and exhaust?

Is there a big car scene in Greenville? Do they have good cruise-ins and shows often, what about Cars and Coffee? Are there any drag strips or circuit tracks within decent driving distance?

What are some good factory/warehouse/chemical plant jobs (I know, lol at "good") in the area? If any? I've been working at chemical plants/warehouse for the last 9 years so anything related to that would be up my alley. I've been searching Monster, Indeed, Linkedin, etc... but haven't exactly found anything I'm interested in. At least anything that doesn't have an extremely vague description of the job.

Any other kind of information about the area that would be good to know is much appreciated. Thank you!

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
Hey there! I'll try to get to all of your questions.

Just avoid living near downtown. Been having a rash of break-ins and armed robberies lately... Like 14th to 1st and Elm to Cotanche (that square region) should be avoided.

No worries on the gun front as long as you follow the law (my mom actually teaches the class so keep us in mind!). The sheriff won't give you any trouble, and most places aren't that anal about you carrying in-store.

Tint is actually pretty hit or miss depending on who is working and their mood. I've had super dark tint for years, but only recently got a ticket for it when I went to Raleigh to play golf. You probably WILL get a tint ticket if you go there. I was doing under the limit and got pulled just for tint.

They don't care about exhaust unless you are a jackass and rev it all the time or downshift in front of a cop. Even then you will just be warned more than likely unless you mouth off.

The car scene is not that great unless you're 18 and mouthy. Most "nice" cars down here are jacked up trucks and the heavy hitters being some 1000+ HP diesels and the older drag cars which only come out at night, my brother stays in touch with them with his turbo 3v. The cars and coffee meets are mainly imports (hondas/Stanced cars) and the occasional exotic. There are a few OK drag strips like in Kinston, Jacksonville, Rocky Mount (Brewers) but no super nice ones close by. I believe there is an OK circuit track within a few hours drive, but don't really remember.

I can't really help on the job knowledge front, but some larger plants include Grady White boats, NACCO materials handling group (forklifts), Roberts in Winterville, Flanders Filters in Washington, and Patheon pharmaceuticals. NACCO seems to have the highest workers satisfaction among those listed.

The most popular pastimes down here include running up to the coast on the weekends to offshore/nearshore fish, deer and duck hunting, and tailgating.

Hope this helps!

LtDavis

Established Member
Hey thanks for the reply! Sorry for the late response, been so busy packing, making multiple trips up and down, and unpacking, etc...

We actually got a place out in the country near Snow Hill, nice and quiet surrounding by farms.

Can you PM me the details about the class your mom teaches? Are classes required before obtaining a CCW permit? I don't plan on open-carrying if thats even allowed down here..

Given all the junk ass hoopties I've seen driving around here with almost opaque tint, 30 inch rims, green/red/blue headlights, 1,000,000,000,000,000 lumen LED off road lights being used as foglights, and trucks squatting in the rear like the whole suspension is broken, all just in one week of living here, I don't think the cops will give my humble fox with medium tint any trouble, lol.

Patheon is where my fiance got a job actually.

Thanks for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread