Moving to SD, ?'s on shops

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Heading out to SD end of September; anyhow, I know there must be a ton of shops that way, what are the better shops around the area? And where's the nearest track/'s? Thanks in advance.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Carlsbad raceway is a local 1/4 mi track...its really oldschool, and it doesn't hook well, but its at sea level.

The better shops are in the LA area, I would suggest coming up here to get any major work done, even tuning.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
What shop there does your tuning? Do they have a dyno?
EDIT:
I read more posts and see that B&D comes highly recommended... Good to know about X2C... Any other words of wisdom regarding shops around that area?

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
For tuning I use socaldiablo aka Shawn Ellis. He is a sponsor here, and has his own site socaldiablo.com He can get you any parts accessories you want/need and have them installed for you by his budding shop Superior Automotive, they also have a fully operational dyno available for tuning and horsepower readings.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
03yllwguy, not sure when ur hitting Cali but if its not before i believe in October C-bad will be closed (words from the grapevine and some members are clueless of when to attend this track & not).

as for tuners...id check out what every one has to say before making any decisions and thats on the real! i know a few who blow motors from some tuners but im not going to diss no one.

XMP at mision viejo is the close mustang shop. Eric is good people.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Thanks guys for the info, I'm hoping to hit San Diego October 1st and start looking for places, but have a bonus to spend on the car when I get down there... I'll check out the socaldiablo site. Thanks

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
One other ? I had, how's the law enforcment down there as far as tint and cats go? I am getting a o/r H for my B-day and just curious, do cops mess around with that stuff down there? Car is staying registered in WA, and I was going to redo my tint to 15%, are they stifflers for that as well? Thanks again in advance.

maddrabitt

Established Member
ive never had a cop want to look at my cats, but you might get some attention being so loud without them. big ticket if you get caught

ROUSHS2

Fist Pumping Your Mom
Established Member
Best shop in San Diego is JBA performance they just tuned my car and I have done lots of work with them. Great shop

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
THanks again, also, is there a good SVT oriented ford dealer in the city you'd go to? I know there must be a few but one you would recommend? Mod friendly?

UCBeau

I've heard good things about Drew Ford. I've bought my last 2 mustangs from Mossy and they are very easy to deal with, but I don't know how they are on mods.

Vnomss1

Established Member
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! You're gonna recommend JBA Performance!!! You're out of your mind!
I had just moved here from Chicago, and thought JBA had a reputable name. I was wrong... here's the story.
I ordered a D.S.S. Short block, had it shipped to JBA for my '94 Cobra. I had the Cam installed by D.S.S. for lack of trust here as I didn't know the shop. Well, JBA had my car for about a month +. The Cobra had the new block, TFS twisted Wedge heads, GT-40 lower intake, Kenne Bell Blower, MSD-6BTM, etc. They also had to remove my long tube headers due to Cali restriction, and I had them re-install my Mac Shorties, and an on-road high flow H-pipe.
When I called about the car after being about 2 weeks more than they should have had the car they kept telling me they needed more time. The excuse was that the H-pipe didn't fit and they didn't know why. They actually cut the pipe, and re-welded the piece back on. Shitty weld too... But after the fact, they told me that it would be done, and that their head mechanic needed to drive the car home that night to attempt and diagnose any other problems that the car might have from a "cold start" in the morning. I told them no, and that I would be by that night to pick up the car, and they said that they would not warranty anything if I didn't let them drive my car to the Head mechanic's house!!! WTF!!! I said fine about the warranty, and that I would still pick the car up that night... I went to pick up the car, and it really did sound awesome... Well, after a few minutes of driving the car, the check engine light came on.

Took it back a week later for broken clutch cable. Had them install an adjustable clutch cable and quadrant. Come to my surprise that the new owner called to tell me that the cable was never replaced!!!

Also, when I had the car smogged the mechanic that smogged the car said that my timing was at 15 degrees, and I also had multiple vacuum lines that were not connected. 15 degrees of timing for a supercharged car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, mind you that I made JBA aware of this when I brought the car in for the clutch cable and they never fixed it and still charged me more money to look at the vacuum lines!

Well after the mechanic fixed my timing, and fixed my vacuum lines the check engine light went away, and they only thing that saved my ass from blowing my new $3000 short block was the MSD BTM, and the 8.0 Compression ratio...

Well, I ended up finding a shop that stuck by their product. Manning Motorsports near Carlsbad in San Marcos, Ca is IMO the best shop that I’ve been to in SD. They quoted me the tune, stuck by the price after going well above and beyond the time they did not charge me any more than they quoted me. Nick Manning is the owner, and Barry Does the tuning.
http://www.manningperformance.com

Sorry for the Rant and rave... Gotta get the point across...

Vnomss1

Established Member
Ohhh, and BTW the Cobra after the tune was pushing over 400hp and over 430lb of Tq on a mustang dyno... Couldn't keep it planted in 1st, or 2nd on a 315*35*17 Nitto DR.

maddrabitt

Established Member
if I need a "friendly" dealership for warranty work I either go to Sunrise Ford in Fontana or Tuttle-Click in Irvine.

Fordy

Established Member
Hey, this is my first post! I've lived in sandiego my whole 19 yr old life and know the place pretty good :read:
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with JBA Venom, however, I have had nothing but great quick work from them.
As far as racing goes, you have to come down to Qualcomm stadium sometime. Almost every Friday night they have 2 pretty good 1/8 mile tracks, often having a car show at the same time. http://www.racelegal.com So many people its unbelieveable. Race any type of car you have every thought of, Vipers,vettes,cobras,old school mustangs/camaros, and an alarming number of Imports :cuss:
Another good track is Barona. 1/8 mile concrete launch, kinda in the middle of nowhere though.
As far as cops go, if you don't want to get pulled over, no tint (just not driver and passenger windows),and no colored lights anywhere. Thats about it. They don't seem to mind loudness.
And for maintenance I work at Bob Baker Ford near Qualcomm stadium :) Such a tease driving damn 03' cobras I can't afford!

Last edited:

Vnomss1

Established Member
Thanks Fordy! I guess everyone has their own thoughts about shops that they visit. I know a few people that have gone to JBA, and a guy that worked there. The guy that worked there said that they don't really do a good job... I would definately reccomend Manning Motorsports, and I'll be taking the L there when I have a chance. I know it's running extremely rich... Due for a pulley, cat back and a tune. : )

I had Tint all around on the Cobra. Limo on the back 3 windows and 35% on the front drivers/passenger windows. I never got looked at twice. I also had the Mac shorty headers, mac high flow 2 1/2 H-pipe and Mac 2 1/2 cat back. Car was pretty loud, but again, never got looked at twice.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Thanks for the great info guys, appreciate it. I'm gonna just keep the car registered in WA so I don't have to worry about the tint and cats stuff. Thanks for the heads up about the shops. I'm ultra shop paranoid. I have the website link saved vnomss, thanks. Thanks for the track info fordy, I'll definately be looking them up if they're not closed when I get there.

maddrabitt

Established Member
wow, manning motorsports. I was going to take my 5.0 there once for some work. the place looked like a mustang graveyard, seriously every car there had like 2 inches of dirt on it. I promptly jumped back in my car and went somewhere else.

Vnomss1

Established Member
It just looks that way. I think most of those cars are Military cars of folks that have gone overseas. When I was going in there mine was always being paid attention and was always on the Dyno. Barry did a great job with the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread