Moving to Seattle, any advice?

Defknotzero

Established Member
Hello all,

I will be moving from Chicago to Seattle in a few months. I will be attending Bellevue College to get my B.A. in Radiology. I've been there (seattle) a few times and love it. Is there any particular areas I should be looking at or avoid as far as apartments and such?

I know I liked the pike's place area and fremont. I'm not so sure of anywhere else. I have been looking and there seems to be some good apartments in various areas.

Also, any pointers or tips would be cool as well.

Any information would help. Thanks

jpk

Established Member
Hello all,

I will be moving from Chicago to Seattle in a few months. I will be attending Bellevue College to get my B.A. in Radiology. I've been there (seattle) a few times and love it. Is there any particular areas I should be looking at or avoid as far as apartments and such?

I know I liked the pike's place area and fremont. I'm not so sure of anywhere else. I have been looking and there seems to be some good apartments in various areas.

Also, any pointers or tips would be cool as well.

Any information would help. Thanks

The two areas you mentioned are fine, maybe a bit of a drive to BCC. Rent can get expensive in those areas too. Seattle isn't Chicago, not as many areas you need to avoid.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
If you are going to go to BCC, I'd look at living a little closer like Issaquah or Sammamish. Just my opinion. I lived in North Bend and Worked in downtown Seattle for a couple of years and ALMOST went to BCC before I decided to move back to Montana. Traffic there is a killer.

Blue Snake

SLACKER Poster
Established Member
You could also think about Bothell/Redmond for a place to live. Traffic kind of sucks but you get used to it. Just rev your pipes at the Hybrids as you go past. :)

Saikodi

Established Member
Hey,

Welcome to Seattle area. :)

Since you are going to BCC, you should stay in Bellevue area. As far as possible, try to avoid I405 traffic. Its extremely bad during peak hours (6:00 am - 9:30 am and 3:45 pm - 6:15 pm). Outside of these hours, you can go on 405 happily.

Thanks!

Defknotzero

Established Member
Wow, thanks for the advice so far. I'm still about 2 months away from actually moving there. Still doing the research and getting everything set.

I can't wait!

Black93Fox

Established Member
Welcome to the PNW people complain about the rain but there is stuff to do year round here if you are active and like being outdoors. Seattle decent place use to live there traffic would be my main complaint. Shoreline is a nice area that isn't too far from Seattle.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'll be going back to BCC next fall for business once I get out of the military this summer. Here's a simple breakdown in housing: My housing allowance as per my GI Bill is $1820/mo for Bellevue/Seattle. Everywhere outside of there is in the $1200 range, so that should give you an idea of the cost of housing there as that is based of the average for the area. When I went there before I lived in Fairwood which is East of Renton/Tukwila but on average it was a 20-30min drive to school which I didn't mind as traffic was not bad. Fairwood is also a lot nicer than Tukwila which I don't think is a bad place but it's not known for being the safest as there are some surrounding areas that are not good.

I can't wait to get back though and I love being in Bellevue. I eventually want to find a permanent place out there.

B0B

Established Member
Hope you enjoy your stay man! It all depends on your lifestyle as to where you want to live. Washington is very diverse so you won't have a problem finding what you're looking for here. There are some beautiful women in Bellevue. You've gotta venture out away from the Seattle/Bellevue areas to see the beauty of this place. Checking out Mount Rainier is a must, and DEFINITELY drive to Chinook pass while you're here. If you do, PM me and I'll cruise with you, I live in Bonney Lake, which is at the base of the foothills.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Bob, what area of Bonney Lake do you live? I lived out on Tapps Island for 8 years when I was growing up. It's expanded a lot since then; I remember it when there was farmland where the Target is now.

Users who are viewing this thread