MT-82 input shaft seal

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I had the MT-82 replaced in my '14 for poor shifting into 3rd, then 2nd, then no 1st, then no reverse lockout. All was well but there was some leaking right away. Checked and the fill plug was loose from the factory. Still there was fluid leaking. The new one would grind into 3rd. Well they took it out today to investigate and the assembly plant in China FORGOT to install an input shaft seal. The tech didn't catch it because it came with the slave cylinder already bolted on. Way to go Getrag, really ruining your company reputation by having China make your product. I wonder how much Ford would have saved by using a T-56 or TR-6060 in the 5.0s.

89E8122D-EAD7-4DF4-91C3-856350C014E8_zpsussckmlz.jpg

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Cant say I'm surprised, the mt-82 will go down as the biggest mistake to ever come in a mustang...they need to get rid of it already....

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I thought parts were made in china, but assembled in US or mexico? Either way, stuff like this happens to anyone.

Best of luck to you, and hope everything works out soon!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I believe there are at least 3 iterations of MT82. One from Mexico, Canada, and the most popular one from China. My china made MT82 lasted 10k miles before grenading. Lost 3rd and subsequently 4th gear back to back weekends.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Piss poor quality control.

I believe there are at least 3 iterations of MT82. One from Mexico, Canada, and the most popular one from China. My china made MT82 lasted 10k miles before grenading. Lost 3rd and subsequently 4th gear back to back weekends.

What leads you to believe that?

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
I had the MT-82 replaced in my '14 for poor shifting into 3rd, then 2nd, then no 1st, then no reverse lockout. All was well but there was some leaking right away. Checked and the fill plug was loose from the factory. Still there was fluid leaking. The new one would grind into 3rd. Well they took it out today to investigate and the assembly plant in China FORGOT to install an input shaft seal. The tech didn't catch it because it came with the slave cylinder already bolted on. Way to go Getrag, really ruining your company reputation by having China make your product. I wonder how much Ford would have saved by using a T-56 or TR-6060 in the 5.0s.

If Ford was losing money on this deal they would not have continued using it in the current euro-styled touring coupe 2015 GT. I'm no fan of this clunky chinese assembled POS tranny by any stretch, but haven't had an issue yet in 2.5 years with 15K on the tranny and putting 500+ to the rear wheels for 8000 + of that time. Put an MGW on the thing and upgraded the clutch and has held up so far. I use entrance ramps to interstates as test strips. I don't power shift the car but I don't go to commercial for a nap when shifting either. And yes I take it to the track for an occasional T/T and run it on MT ET street radial DR's. .

I've thought about doing the T56 swap, but for half that price I could do a full swap out of all my upgrades and trade mine for a used low mileage auto 13 and put a nice stall converter in the thing for way less money...and go even faster a the track. But I do like finding those gears and don't feel like I am ready to go paddle shift on a slush box yet while I still have a few youthful years left in me. So the other option is to yank the GITRAG and send it out to Revolution Automotive this winter for a rebuild/upgrade and purchase the DSS one piece aluminum DS.

Don't know. Many options to consider. But one I won't consider is trading for that ugly new POS GT Ford just released with IRS rear end. YUCK!

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Copius porosity is all I see in that casting. Right next to the QC sticker. My God that is embarrassing.

_____7F-DD0F-43DB-9173-B61CF1426D6A_zpsguzc9sve.jpg

Chingchong is doing a lousy job with a hand grinder and an aluminum disc trying to clean that up. That casting does not meet the same standards that domestic Tier One suppliers are held to. Ford needs to cut manufacturing costs elsewhere and include contractual provisions with their suppliers that mandate production being done in regions with the capacity to meet a higher standard. The fact that the Getrag's QC is failing bolsters the argument to produce this transmission elsewhere or to find a supplier that can do a better job. Tremec is getting far better quality out of Mexico than Getrag is getting out of China.

Users who are viewing this thread