• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

MT-82 Manual Transmission Oil Change | Amsoil MTF

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, Feb 5, 2020.

1. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

MT-82 Manual Transmission Oil Change | Amsoil MTF

MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 1.jpg

Love it or hate it, the MT-82 is the transmission that brought six gears to the masses in the Mustang market. Before it, buyers were required to step up to one of the halo performance model Pony cars in order to row through more than five speeds. The Getrag box has plenty of pluses, but it did get off to a bit of a rocky start. Thankfully, we like modding here on SVTP.

MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 2.jpg

It takes just a hair over 3 quarts of oil to swap fluids in an MT-82.

One of the biggest complaints the MT-82 received early on was sketchy gear engagement that differed based on temperature. It seemed that the factory synchros were particularly sensitive to oil viscosity, and Ford filled the MT-82 with a fairly lightweight oil from the factory. That was fine for cold weather and average daily driving. However; during hot summer months, and especially on the road track, the oil would get so thin that several shift issues would pop up.

MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 3.jpg

This oil pump makes this job far easier.

You may experience anything from shift lock-out, to hard shifts, to grinding. The MT-82 quirkiness was really a mixed bag, and guys tried many different oils over the years. I personally tested 5 different ones (factory, three versions from Royal Purple, and one from Amsoil) before settling on Amsoil MTF. Your mileage may vary, but for my driving style (Hard) and location (The South) Amsoil MTF worked really well. In all but the coldest weather the MT-82 shifted better with the MTF than anything else I tried. It was smooth, and with the help of an MGW shifter I never missed a shift.

MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 7.jpg

When is it full? When it starts running out the fill hole.

While swapping out the trans fluid isn’t all that difficult, I thought it might be fun to show you how it’s done. If you're going to use Amsoil fluid I highly suggest you buy their bottle pump. It makes the job way easier. Check out the vid:

Let me know if you have any questions.

MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 4.jpg MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 5.jpg MT-82 Oil Change_Moment 6.jpg MT-82 Oil Change_Moment.jpg

03Sssnake likes this.
  2. JAJ

JAJ Active Member Established Member

According to the factory service manual, an MT82 is full when you've added 2.7 quarts of fluid. The specified fill level is 10mm below the bottom of the fill hole.

The gearbox above is overfilled.

bdcardinal likes this.
  3. SID297

That's what the vent is for.

me32 likes this.
  4. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Is that true for all years? Or just a certain generation?

11-14
    15-17
    18-20

5. JAJ

JAJ Active Member Established Member

2020 Owner's Manual still quotes 2.7 quarts for the GT and Ecoboost MT82's. Hasn't changed since I had my 2011 GT.

bdcardinal likes this.
  6. bdcardinal

bdcardinal I Spend car money on guns Premium Member Established Member

7. scottydsntknow

scottydsntknow Well-Known Member Established Member

In 2002 the 03 Cobra was what $33k new? Not sure what that would be in 2010 money but not sure you could get into a 2011 GT in 2010 for much less... I'm still mad I didn't go aircrew when I joined the USAF in 2001. If I had I coulda easily afforded a Terminator new with flight pay although insurance woulda been fun...

Also 6th gear in the MT82 is the same 6th ratio as the T56 and even the 02-04 3650... Extra gear in between 4th and 6th is nice but give me a wide ratio Magnum any day. 3.73s and one of those=supercruise at sub 3K rpm and yes I live in Europe where I could actually use that.

8. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Well-Known Member Established Member

I have tried several concoctions for my MT82's and the BEST so far, FWIW, is STRAIGHT Red Line 31004 DCTF.....slick shifts even when cold!!:cool:

nyuk98GT likes this.
  9. SID297

I have not tried that one, but may next time around.

me32 likes this.
  10. Coosawjack

I didn't try the Amzoil Blend from Ben Calimer but of the 3 things I've run the Redline is best Sid!!:D

11. Reaper14

Reaper14 Active Member Established Member

I run the Ben Calimer blend & it made a little difference. But still sucks in the cold, especially 2nd gear

Vic

12. Coosawjack

Try Redline DCTF next time you change it Reaper!!

13. 2014gtcs

2014gtcs New Member Established Member

Currently using Amsoil MTG, going to change to the MTF, the MTG is thick stuff, have to shift from 1st to 3rd till it warms up.
    Once warmed up shifts great.

14. SID297

I have a ton of extra MTF if you haven't bought it yet. Shoot me a PM if you want some.