MT H2H 2018 Mustang GTPP1 and SS 1LE

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Love it when the goodies trickle down to the GT!

I am betting that some 350 fellas aren’t too pleased with magride ending up on the PP1 & PP2 cars, as well as this motor essentially getting cast versions of 350 heads.

My thoughts exactly!

I read Hot Rod mag ran a high 11 at 119mph in a 10sp GT.

Ridiculous! Car is just as fast as a GT350 should you find one out in the wild.

Around a track... different story (I would hope? lol).

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Did any of you guys read this article? I got the magazine yesterday. It really is not good for the Mustang. The Camaro beats it in every performance category with the exception of the mile race. They make mention that Ford really dropped the ball...the Mustang is $3.5k more money and that the Camaro “feels 4000 years of evolution better.”
I gotta say after reading the article... there is no way I would get the Mustang over the 1LE.
Read it... the 1LE put up amazing numbers.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Until you can’t see out of the Camaro.
I do agree the mustang is too expensive. The base mustang gt performance should be $33/35k if ford kept the PP2 at under $40k they would have something.

96 cobra

Established Member
To put the 1LE's handing in perspective, the 4-cylinder base camaro is as quick as a similarly modded focus RS & 2006 caymen S around national competition autocross tracks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
upload_2018-1-27_13-58-43.png

Gorgeous! Given the choice, I'd like this over the Camaro SS 1le. There was a time when I was a hair's breath away from buying a '16 SS. I opted not to for a couple of reasons, including the so-so interior and limited visibility. The new '18 Mustang GT with the improved motor and increased power pulled me back into the Mustang camp. I'm not in the market for a new vehicle right now, but if I was, THIS one would be a very strong contender. Stunning.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
View attachment 1461271

Gorgeous! Given the choice, I'd like this over the Camaro SS 1le. There was a time when I was a hair's breath away from buying a '16 SS. I opted not to for a couple of reasons, including the so-so interior and limited visibility. The new '18 Mustang GT with the improved motor and increased power pulled me back into the Mustang camp. I'm not in the market for a new vehicle right now, but if I was, THIS one would be a very strong contender. Stunning.
I’m with you in that with the new update the Mustang looks better and the interior is awesome! But the Camaro SS1LE is putting up world class handling numbers where the GT is just good.... I guess it still boils down to brand loyalty.... which I do not have either way. But I do agree the 18 is an improved Mustang.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I’m with you in that with the new update the Mustang looks better and the interior is awesome! But the Camaro SS1LE is putting up world class handling numbers where the GT is just good.... I guess it still boils down to brand loyalty.... which I do not have either way. But I do agree the 18 is an improved Mustang.

The 1LE's are tough to beat in the handling department. If I were a corner carver I would for sure get one of those. But I'm not so I would go with the Mustang simply because of the looks and it's what I'm used to. Chevy is definitely going for the track guys while Ford is trying to walk that fine line of everyday usability and taking it to the track to beat on every so often.

Mustangs do cost too much but I suppose that is what you get when you buy one of the most popular/iconic muscle cars in America. The simple answer is, Ford doesn't have to have the top performing car to sell Mustangs. They never really had to when you look at past generations and sales. It looks like Ford is willing to put up their fight in the competitive scene in the top tier Mustang (Cobra/GT500) while they put out a good product for their GT and lower trim. The name of Mustang is what does all the work/selling. It's hard to beat the Mustang in the brand name department.

Last edited:

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Camaro has always been the better handler. Mustang was usually quicker. I prefer the Mustang anytime. I do think they are way over priced now. Loaded GT listing over $50k? WTF? Anyways. Hopefully the PP2 will put up a better fight on the track. Ford should also lighten up the stang. 3450 would be nice.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I think the PP2 package will surprise you guys. I just wish there was another name for the upper end handling package like the Camaro has 1LE. I (know Ford uses "R" (GT350R and GT500R) but that won't work on a GT......GTR. Anyways, I still would rather own the GT350 just for the 5.2 voodoo motor even if the newer GT ends up faster.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I want a 1LE in a big way... sick ass machines.

Where have you seen PP2 cars hitting lots? I tried to "build" one on Ford website yesterday and couldnt find the option.

It's called option code 643 or something like that. It's an as-yet unpublished code, and you have to go through some tomfoolery to get it. The dealer has to know what they're doing to order it properly. Hopefully, Ford will rectify the confusion.

Camaro has always been the better handler. ...

That's actually not true. You've always had to add special option packages to get a better handling Camaro. No-option to no-option, the Mustang has always handled better. It gets muddy after that. While Chevy adds thirty million suspension packages, Ford makes you buy a higher tier Mustang.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
It's called option code 643 or something like that. It's an as-yet unpublished code, and you have to go through some tomfoolery to get it. The dealer has to know what they're doing to order it properly. Hopefully, Ford will rectify the confusion.

That's actually not true. You've always had to add special option packages to get a better handling Camaro. No-option to no-option, the Mustang has always handled better. It gets muddy after that. While Chevy adds thirty million suspension packages, Ford makes you buy a higher tier Mustang.
I wish I could agree with you but my collection of Motor Trend and Car and Driver dating back to 1985 will prove different. I wish I could say mustang handled better, but most of the time, no.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Ford is smart, and knows their customer base far better. in the real world the S550 handles very well, and with a good tire is plenty of car for 99.999% of all weekend track guys.

so instead of killing the ride, comfort and streetabliity of the car for magazine lap times...they built a car that sells and looks 100 times better then its direct competition. the GT350 is their handler, and the GT is the bread and butter. ford does not want or need Mustang(brand) to be on the ragged edge of motorsport.

GM gets lost in beating ford, and they never can do it. The new GT was the darling of 2017 with universal praise and accolades and then goes and wins Le Mans on the anniversary of its first win. mustangs sell like hot cakes and F150 s can't be made fast enough. then what did ford do? create a whole new segment in the Raptor.

yes I'm a ford goober but i just laugh when chevy and MT go in the closet to finger bang each other and it makes no difference for GM. Yes i know Ford is down now with the changes at ford. but at the enthusiast level ford wins and keeps doing it. Dodge gets honors for being just badass with the SRT division.

Users who are viewing this thread