MT82 7500 RPM powershifting....who's doing it?

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
Just curious if anyone is having any luck and what combos they are running drive train wise. Planning on pushing my car up there next season, my only issue is shifting. No fun if you can't hit gears. I have shifted the stocker almost on the stock limiter with no issues but mid 7000s may be pushing it. I really don't want to waste the cash on a driveshaft and parts for the MT if it is useless. Really I have no complaints of the MT82 as of now... powershifts nicely even with the stock shifter. Worst case scenario a faceplated tranny is an option....just really hate to do it to a new car. Thanks for any experience or info!

Last edited:

rotarymagic

Established Member
The guys doing it have at the minimum McCleod RXT, Lightened Steel Flywheel, and a good shifter like a MGW Race Spec 2. It probably wouldn't hurt to do an upgraded clutch line, blanket/scattershield and trans mount too.

BADSEED

Established Member
I have stock clutch/shifter and car shifts fine at 7500. Most of my shifts are at around 7200-7300. I just constantly change the clutch fluid. Car is always fine on the street but at track between 2step, 5k launch and WOT shift car has to cool down for 30-45min before making another pass

SCalla1384

Established Member
I do not recommend an rxt. I've shattered 4th gear because of if. The clutch is rated higher than the trans is.

A good aftermarket clutch, and atleast a barton 2 post is all you need. All the lock out issues aren't from shifters (driver error) the clutch return spring (lol) or anything. It's the factory clutch is not properly disengaging at high rpm. Some factory units work at high rpm, some dont. That's what happens when the oem clutch is made in turkey. Inonsistencys

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
Seems like all the research I have done shows some have problems and some dont. Really want to stay away from the twin disks. I Would like to go with a clutch rated right around the hp I am making. Something that hits softer, not to aggressive. Wish the stocker would hold up haha. I just know how hard it is on sychnronized transmissions shifting that high, if they do at all. I Would like to give it a shot, and I probably will. Spending $800 on a driveshaft and some cash on a clutch only to be locked out would be aggravating but so would a faceplated tranny. Thanks for the info above

Last edited:

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
My car would not go into 2nd above 7200rpm. After the RXT went in all of my mt82 problems went away.

Highly recommend the n2mb WOT box for the mt82. It makes the syncros line up perfect since there is no flash up in rpm between gears.

kowalmustang

Established Member
I shift my car at 7500rpm with my cj intake. The car has 34000 miles on it and more then a 100 passes at the track. Stock clutch, stock line. Barton shifter, blowfish bracket new dot 4 fluid every time I see it start turning dirty. I would not power shift without the blowfish bracket or a mgw race shifter. There is to much deflation between the trans and the car body without them. I massed up my 1 to 2 syncro once doing a power shift before the blowfish bracket. Thankfully that was still under warranty and the dealer replaced just the syncro only and its still the same trans. I run nt05r on a 19 inch wheel with a best off 1.7 60ft soft lunch.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
My car would not go into 2nd above 7200rpm. After the RXT went in all of my mt82 problems went away.

Highly recommend the n2mb WOT box for the mt82. It makes the syncros line up perfect since there is no flash up in rpm between gears.

Does it throw misfire codes using it?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
The stock clutches are hit and miss. Mine worked fine for about 8 months at higher then 7500 shifts. Then it started grinding. I tried a Exedy 500 and defaced it and then I went to a spec 3+ which is stout, but not great for high rpms. Now I have a McLeod RXT and it is by far the best clutch I've had. I would have preferred a RST, but I got this one for a steal.

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
I shift my car at 7500rpm with my cj intake. The car has 34000 miles on it and more then a 100 passes at the track. Stock clutch, stock line. Barton shifter, blowfish bracket new dot 4 fluid every time I see it start turning dirty. I would not power shift without the blowfish bracket or a mgw race shifter. There is to much deflation between the trans and the car body without them. I massed up my 1 to 2 syncro once doing a power shift before the blowfish bracket. Thankfully that was still under warranty and the dealer replaced just the syncro only and its still the same trans. I run nt05r on a 19 inch wheel with a best off 1.7 60ft soft lunch.
Nice.....makes me want to give it a shot! What power are you putting to the stock clutch? You never feel any lockout at those rpms? Are you shifting the transmission pretty hard and fast? Thanks

AMP-D

Established Member
At 7500 rpms, you're definitely going to want to reduce as much chance of driveline flex as possible. Ideally, using an MGW shifter is the best way but we've seen improvements from our mount insert alone with a stock shifter if on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread