MT82 Skip Shift feature??

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
WTF is the deal with this eleged "skip shift" feature which won't allow you to shift from first to any other gear but 4th if you shift within a certain speed range? This feature should be easily overriden IMO. Not to mention the 375 lb/ft torque limit. Opinions on this?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
WTF is the deal with this eleged "skip shift" feature which won't allow you to shift from first to any other gear but 4th if you shift within a certain speed range? This feature should be easily overriden IMO. Not to mention the 375 lb/ft torque limit. Opinions on this?

This is almost enough to make me not want to buy the car. The skip-shift feature sucks on the GM vehicles so equipped. The good thing is, the aftermarket will be able to override it. The unfortunate thing is, I shouldn't have to take my brand new $35k Ford straight to the aftermarket in order to fix this type of crap.

Environmentalists suck.

The 375 lb/ft torque limit won't be a major problem. It'll be at least as strong as the current 5-speed. Of course we will be pushing the limit with a blower, but the PM connecting rods are marginal at that point as well.

Formula51

Established Member
The only thing I don't like is the trans is rated for less torque than the engine makes?!

How is that possible? There must be some wrong information. Isn't Ford building this transmission in house, so perhaps they are changing something (not sure the weak link of the tranny) to enable it to handle more torque?

It just doesn't make sense otherwise. It would make increasing power very risky.

And skip shift is a breeze, just a simple plug and your done. Don't worry about it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The skip shift thing does not bother me, there will be an aftermarket fix for it in short order. The tranny is made in China and the input shaft is a bit on the small side. I'll try to get some pics posted of it in a couple of days.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Chinese transmission? That sucks!
Thats a big let down from ford.
Who is the manufacturer of the transmission, what is it labeled as?

Formula51

Established Member
The skip shift thing does not bother me, there will be an aftermarket fix for it in short order. The tranny is made in China and the input shaft is a bit on the small side. I'll try to get some pics posted of it in a couple of days.

Oh man, if any of you work in engineering or construction, you know all about Chinese craftsmanship. Not to mention Chinese steel quality. Lets hope the steel comes from elsewhere and it is just assembled in China. I don't mean to be offensive, they just aren't there yet. I have worked MANY Chinese projects, including my current one.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Chinese steel:eek::xpl::(:fm:

Let's hope not

I have confidence that Ford knows what they're doing.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
GETRAGS SUCK!

It says in 5.0 article that the trans is rated for 375ft-lb of torque.

But then again my 3550 is rated for 350 and its been through hell and back and at one point over 600ftlbs with nitrous.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
VR-4's run them and they're worse than a t-5. At least in that application.
supras run them and they're better than a t-5. at least in that application.

seriously, this pissing match is stupid. transmissions are built to SPECS not built to be the strongest possible without any concern for price.
yes, getrag can build a better transmission than tremeks T56/T6060, and they did so with the v160/161(supra transmission). yes, getrag can built a 'worse'(strength) transmission than tremeks T56/T6060, and they probably did so with the MT82. why is the supra trans more than likely stronger than the mustang trans? because getrag builds what their customers(toyota, ford) tell them to build, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Also, if you're really that worried about it just swap in a 6060 since I'm pretty sure that's what is in the Boss 302R race cars so the bellhousing should already be available. I could be wrong though since I can't find any information to confirm or deny it.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
skip shift almost never activates. it only activated one time in my 2011gt. even in low speed low load shifting it doesnt activate.

GM H8R

Just a GT
Established Member
Is that the automatic you're all talking about? My manual 2011 GT will tell me in the info screen to shift from 1st to 4th when I first take off. I've only done it a couple time since it feels real unnatural.

Users who are viewing this thread