mt82 still shifting rough after barton bracket

t660

Established Member
Alright, I know this is a common problem, and I'm sure that there are plenty of threads about this, but the search function isn't exactly working.

So I've heard wonders about the barton 2 post bracket. I decided to pick one up and install it in hopes of cutting down on the rough and notchy shifting. Unfortunately I haven't seen any improvements in the two weeks I've had it installed.

The shifts feel firmer and stronger (makes sense seeing as how terrible that stock bracket is) but the exact same rough notchy feeling is present in the shifts.

Is there anything else I can do to smooth out the shifting? Does a full shifter assembly help?

I honestly hate driving this car sometimes because of the transmission :(

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I too, had a stock shifter and bought a Barton 2-post bracket for mine. The shifts felt better and stronger, but, still notchy and rough sometimes.

I bought an MGW Race Spec (Newest version) and it is a night and day different. Shifts are super smooth, require a bit of effort over stock and almost impossible to miss a gear or accidentally go into reverse.

That is the best route over all.

Like the 03/04 Cobra's, the stock shifter on the 5.0's kills the trans over time.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
If you were closer, i would let you try my MGW shifter. Some like them, some dont. A pretty expensive piece to buy not knowing if it will fix it for you. MGW stuff is top notch quality though....

noldevin

Established Member
The barton 2 post is really no comparison to the MGW. Anything other than the race spec is just a waste of time until you break down and get it instead

t660

Established Member
Damn, wish I had done more research.

What is it that some people don't like about the MGW race spec?

I'm headed up to the track tonight, maybe I'll run into a coyote driver who has one installed. thanks for the info.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just bought my buddies MGW race spec for 200 bucks and cannot believe the difference. I had driven his car when the MGW was in it, however a few spirited runs don't really tell you how good this shifter is, but after a day or two of driving it...well all I can say is holyshit!!!!! For the record I never had any real trouble with the stock unit, but I can't imagine ever going back to stock or another brand shifter now. The reason I got it so cheap, is that I have been helping him de-mod the car as he is trading it in soon.

Last edited:

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
I like the notchiness of the barton shifter + bracket. I have driven a MGW car and can say its better, but it was even notchier but very direct in shifting. I would love to get one but not that huge of a leap for me to ditch the barton and fork out the cash for the MGW

Users who are viewing this thread