MUFFLER QUESTION

U R LOSEN

Established Member
On a stock 2001 mustang gt if you have the mufflers cut out and just put in regular pipe do you lose any power? If so how much. Thanks for the help.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I don't think you'd lose any horsepower, but you would loose low end torque due to less back-pressure. I would go with a high flow muffler and high flow cat system, or off road if emissions aren't checked in your state.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
I don't think you'd lose any horsepower, but you would loose low end torque due to less back-pressure. I would go with a high flow muffler and high flow cat system, or off road if emissions aren't checked in your state.

Yeah what he said.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You can and will loose hp if you remove the muffler all together. Mikie 2001GT is a perfect example. He has flowmasters welded in and an offroad H. He has made cutouts for the mufflers. We went to the dyno with the caps in on his first pass the car made 255 RWHP and 301RWTQ. We're really excited, so he opened the caps up before run 2 & 3. The car lost 40 RWHP! The third run confirmed the same results. He put the caps back in and the car came right back up to 254 & 303. You can take too much back pressure out of the car. The GTs redline at 6200 and most of the time the powerband is shifted past that with an open exhaust. Sounding off is one thing, but getting drug down the road while you make a bunch of noise is embarassing. :uh oh:

Check my sig. The car was stock except for a BB&K cold air induction.

nicetry

Established Member
exhaust/mufflers

i have been reading a lot of posts tonight about exhausts and mufflers....after all these years.....!@#$$ i must be an idiot!!!!!
I had not idea that all the performance improvements to my cars aswell as my customers cars that related to exhaust .....
those horse power improvement numbers on the dynos have been false!!!!
I must look deep inside myself and find that inner child who will guide me into another career!
good by true power makers for i am out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:beer:

1qwkpny

Established Member
That's correct, pull the muffs and loose power. It's all about scavenging and temp. up to a certain point the hotter the exhaust temp the more it flows and the more power you'll make. Sure a stock mustang will respond very well to an aftermarket h or x pipe and high flow mufflers and the usual gain is 5-15hp from these types of mods. I think it was 5.0mustangs &fastfords that just did that type of comparison recently..... Being a smart ass and saying that doing exhaust work is a waste of time is not correct but having an exhaust that meets the needs of your engine/vehicle is what it is really about. For example on my '89 Gt when it was stone stock I put on 1 1/2in shorty headers, off road h pipe 2.5in dia and 2.5in. dia flowpaths and it picked up 21 hp peak an 12lbs trq peak. These were good results so for kicks we put on my brothers 3in. cat back exhaust w/ 2.5-3.0in. adapters and I lost 9hp and 10lbs trq. So you could also say that bigger is not always better.

Users who are viewing this thread