Mustang is to crowds as Jeep is to celebrities o_O

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I have this model Jeep and the shifter functions properly. It's just doesn't click down or up further to get to the gear you want. It's basically an electronic ratchet shifter. It's unfortunate that there have been deaths and injuries because of this, but it's my feeling that it's also unfortunate that because of our extremely relaxed position on driver education, we're not having to engineer around people's stupidity.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Just think, applying the parking brake would have prevented this and all the other issues with the FCA shifters.

it always baffles my mind when some people (usually women) do not use the emergency brake and just claim that putting it in Park is good enough. and im sure being a brand new vehicle gives them even more ammunition that they dont need to worry about it.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Just think, applying the parking brake would have prevented this and all the other issues with the FCA shifters.

That's true. I've got a 13', so I don't have this problem, but I did have a 14' as a rental and I could definitely see people having issues with the new shifter. I love star trek and FCA is gonna pay now that their bad design has killed one of the most popular characters (even though it shouldn't have come to this). From what I understand, the fix to this is that if you open the car door when you have it in gear OR in neutral, it'll just throw the jeep into park. I have mixed feelings on the remediation.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I have this model Jeep and the shifter functions properly. It's just doesn't click down or up further to get to the gear you want. It's basically an electronic ratchet shifter. It's unfortunate that there have been deaths and injuries because of this, but it's my feeling that it's also unfortunate that because of our extremely relaxed position on driver education, we're not having to engineer around people's stupidity.

Autonomous cars will be the answer for the millennials and various sheeple going forward unfortunately.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
That's true. I've got a 13', so I don't have this problem, but I did have a 14' as a rental and I could definitely see people having issues with the new shifter. I love star trek and FCA is gonna pay now that their bad design has killed one of the most popular characters (even though it shouldn't have come to this). From what I understand, the fix to this is that if you open the car door when you have it in gear OR in neutral, it'll just throw the jeep into park. I have mixed feelings on the remediation.

some things on a vehicle should just not be left up to electronics imo. its bad enough when half the car doesnt function properly when the head unit starts having issues. :nonono:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
some things on a vehicle should just not be left up to electronics imo. its bad enough when half the car doesnt function properly when the head unit starts having issues. :nonono:

True that. The 14' rental I had, the entertainment center froze with the heaters on full and the heated seats on high, all while in a drive through. It was like I was driving project Satan!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT with that POS shifter and have had it go into N instead of D on me. Never had a prob getting into park, but that shifter is definitely shitty IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread