Mustang Mach E: The Edsel of our generation

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
These things will be collectors items. In 10 years think of the value! They might have a 10 mile range by then. Lithium will surely cost more so replacement batteries should be a cool 50k. Sounds like a great investment - where do I sign?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Electric F-150 is where the real volume will be. They just need to expand the lineup into to work-truck configurations. Electric Transit will move well too.
My comment was related to the comparison of muscle car sales to the sale of a utility vehicle that suits millions of buyers.

Curious though, what is the draw of electric work trucks, assuming there is a choice?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Electric F-150 is where the real volume will be. They just need to expand the lineup into to work-truck configurations. Electric Transit will move well too.

For all the hype in just do not see what problem EVs solve for the consumer. Fuel costs would have to get significantly higher for there to be a value proposition. We have had hybrid technology for a long time now and it really has not caught on because only a small %of consumers care.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is true, @Klaus, hybrids have not really caught on, but as the auto makers jump into bed with the Green Wave and produce EVs en mass, consumers in large part will buy what is produced. EVs will be strongly marketed.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
So in capitalism people buy what they are told?

1639573944543.jpeg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My comment was related to the comparison of muscle car sales to the sale of a utility vehicle that suits millions of buyers.

Curious though, what is the draw of electric work trucks, assuming there is a choice?

Fleet sales, especially to municipalities.

The real issue with EVs long term is the destruction of the used market. What's a $2000 starter car going to look like, if one even exists?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Fleet sales, especially to municipalities.

The real issue with EVs long term is the destruction of the used market. What's a $2000 starter car going to look like, if one even exists?
Yeah, I could see that. Kind of like the push 20 or so years ago with the natural gas vehicles. The public never bought on to that one, but ev’s seem to have much more general public buy in.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
That is true, @Klaus, hybrids have not really caught on, but as the auto makers jump into bed with the Green Wave and produce EVs en mass, consumers in large part will buy what is produced. EVs will be strongly marketed.
My wife is getting an xc90 next month. Looked and looked at the phev version. Just couldn’t see the numbers working even with a tax credit. Plus the added system complexity. They get to 250 miles on a 20 degree day and it will look a lot more palatable.

I also keep thinking about car trouble in the cold and snow. My wife wouldn’t go with the worry about running it down, etc where we live.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yeah, I could see that. Kind of like the push 20 or so years ago with the natural gas vehicles. The public never bought on to that one, but ev’s seem to have much more general public buy in.

I see a lot of garbage trucks running nat gas, but it helps that the dumps produce enough methane for them to basically be getting free fuel.

Fat Boss

Established Member
WoW. The slave labor required to produce enough lithium for 600k units in a year is spectacular. Poor kids!

Hey, look at the bright side. These kids are learning valuable life skills, lol.

Are we still pretending this is a 2 door muscle car? Lmao. They could be right or their “Field of Dreams” economics may come crashing down on them.

Either way, they haven’t yet sold 200k of this electric crossover either.

Did anyone ever pretend it's a 2 door muscle car? It's only the 2nd SUV I've ever driven, and it's behaves nothing like a 2 door muscle car. Twisty mountain roads are a blast with the 634 foot pounds of torque and AWD to launch you out of corners though.

If I were a loser who could only afford one car, it wouldn't be a Mach-E though. All real men have a full size truck with a manual transmission.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey, look at the bright side. These kids are learning valuable life skills, lol.

Did anyone ever pretend it's a 2 door muscle car? It's only the 2nd SUV I've ever driven, and it's behaves nothing like a 2 door muscle car. Twisty mountain roads are a blast with the 634 foot pounds of torque and AWD to launch you out of corners though.

If I were a loser who could only afford one car, it wouldn't be a Mach-E though. All real men have a full size truck with a manual transmission.
I hope not, but you did compare it’s sales to a two door muscle car. Namely the ICE Mustang. Why would one not expect a crossover to sell more than a two door muscle car?

Fat Boss

Established Member
I have no idea how many crossovers are sold vs Mustangs. But the naysayers have done nothing but say it's a waste, it won't sell, it's an Edsel lol. The fact is it's selling well, and would be selling a lot better if there were more being produced. Some are even paying $10 to $20k ADM's right now.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have no idea how many crossovers are sold vs Mustangs. But the naysayers have done nothing but say it's a waste, it won't sell, it's an Edsel lol. The fact is it's selling well, and would be selling a lot better if there were more being produced. Some are even paying $10 to $20k ADM's right now.

The thing I'm really interested in seeing is how Ford refines their EV architecture from the Mach-E to the F-150, and even the Mach-E at Job-X updates. There's a lot of low hanging fruit for them to make improvements.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s a big number. Everything is selling well right now. I literally had to wait three months to get either a Hyundai, Acura or Volvo and there were literally no new ones even on the lot. Still remains to be seen how the Mach e will do and whether production is holding it back. Curious what kind of numbers the current orders of it are.

Fat Boss

Established Member
The thing I'm really interested in seeing is how Ford refines their EV architecture from the Mach-E to the F-150, and even the Mach-E at Job-X updates. There's a lot of low hanging fruit for them to make improvements.

If engineering at Ford is anything like engineering where I work, the design follows these requirements in this order:

1- Basic features for the product to be competitive in the market
2- Schedule
3- Cost
4- Advanced features that give a differential advantage in the market

As you say, there is a lot of low hanging fruit under #4 above. But, cost will always be a driver at Ford. Hopefully the volumes that they are/will be seeing allows them to optimize the charging rates, improve the Blue Cruise which is not where it needs to be, and the thermal management scheme- while remaining competitive in what is a rapidly saturating market.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

That's the entire auto market right now and is nowhere near exclusive to the Cuck-E.

I cannot wait until supply chain (speaking macro economically) right sizes and things settle down. Maybe 18 months or so.

The true turds like the Cuck-E are going to stick out like a sore thumb. The fact that they are on the lots right now for 7 days is NOT a good sign. In the current market, true in-demand vehicles are sold before they are even PDI'd. 0 lot time.

Fun fact--This time last year you could buy a brand-new left over 2019 Chevy Volt for about $17k ($10k+ discounts on a $27k car lmao). It was almost the ONLY car on Chevy lots and they had THOUSANDS of them. A quick search on Autotrader turned up 1200+ in a 100 mile radius from me.

The Mustang Mach E is being propped by the current buyer's market, plain and simple. This will change.

lmao

This thread delivers!!

Fat Boss

Established Member
That's the entire auto market right now and is nowhere near exclusive to the Cuck-E.

I cannot wait until supply chain (speaking macro economically) right sizes and things settle down. Maybe 18 months or so.

The true turds like the Cuck-E are going to stick out like a sore thumb. The fact that they are on the lots right now for 7 days is NOT a good sign. In the current market, true in-demand vehicles are sold before they are even PDI'd. 0 lot time.

Fun fact--This time last year you could buy a brand-new left over 2019 Chevy Volt for about $17k. It was almost the ONLY car on Chevy lots and they had THOUSANDS of them. A quick search on Autotrader turned up 1200+ in a 100 mile radius from me.

lmao

This thread delivers!!

Volvos are getting $20k ADM's right now?

Fun Fact- There is absolutely no comparison between a Volt and a Mach-E. Maybe a Volt and a Focus EV.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
If engineering at Ford is anything like engineering where I work, the design follows these requirements in this order:

1- Basic features for the product to be competitive in the market
2- Schedule
3- Cost
4- Advanced features that give a differential advantage in the market

As you say, there is a lot of low hanging fruit under #4 above. But, cost will always be a driver at Ford. Hopefully the volumes that they are/will be seeing allows them to optimize the charging rates, improve the Blue Cruise which is not where it needs to be, and the thermal management scheme- while remaining competitive in what is a rapidly saturating market.
Ever engineered products directly with/in the automotive industry?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Volvos are getting $20k ADM's right now?

Fun Fact- There is absolutely no comparison between a Volt and a Mach-E. Maybe a Volt and a Focus EV.
If the Mach e averages 7 days on the lot, then someone is a dumbass to be in the group of “some” paying $20k adm. Now if it was nationwide that be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread