Mustang Racing

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Sounds like they do their best to equalize the teams, I just don't agree that factory based race car with 200hp should ever be on the same playing field as one that starts out at 500. Put them in different classes, instead of limiting the hell out of some of the cars.

The GS class in the Conti series all seem to be in the same league (their street car cousins) as each other, so that seems fine to me. The Gt class in the Rolex on the other hand:bored: Watching RX8's out lap Vettes, Porsche, and BMW's doesn't seem right:dw: What's next, a Volvo wagon running at the front next year lol?

There were 30 cars in the GT class for the 24 hours race at Daytona, 19 cars at the Miami race and 17 for the race at Barber this past weekend. If they start splitting the cars into even more classes you will just end up with fewer car counts in each class. That makes for a really boring season when you only have to compete against 3 other cars in your class. So instead Grand Am opts to have larger car counts per class and equilize the cars that normally wouldn't compete with each other.

FWIW, comparing the cars in the GT class to their street associated brethen (yes even the Corvettes) is kind of silly since I'm pretty sure most everything in that class is a tube frame car now. For example, the Camaro's running this season in GT are just the Pontiac from last season with new skin on it.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
FWIW, comparing the cars in the GT class to their street associated brethen (yes even the Corvettes) is kind of silly since I'm pretty sure most everything in that class is a tube frame car now. For example, the Camaro's running this season in GT are just the Pontiac from last season with new skin on it.

Some of the Vettes aren't tube frame, but yea I agree.

I did see that teh RX8 did just pick up 75#

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Some of the Vettes aren't tube frame, but yea I agree.

I did see that teh RX8 did just pick up 75#

Correct, and the non-tube frame cars have different rules than the tube frame cars. Same went for the Porsches but from what I hear (I don't get the time to pay attention to them) there aren't any Porsches running this year.

Yeah and it looks like they added 50#'s to the Mustangs as well :(

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Correct, and the non-tube frame cars have different rules than the tube frame cars. Same went for the Porsches but from what I hear (I don't get the time to pay attention to them) there aren't any Porsches running this year.

Yeah and it looks like they added 50#'s to the Mustangs as well :(

I guess it's just something we have to live with in RR. Unless they are identically designed & built cars, someone will always have somewhat of an advantage.

Why did the stang get weight? Yea, they looked real good in the last race, but it's not like the BMW's are slow.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I guess it's just something we have to live with in RR. Unless they are identically designed & built cars, someone will always have somewhat of an advantage.

Why did the stang get weight? Yea, they looked real good in the last race, but it's not like the BMW's are slow.

I'm not really sure since the top 10 for the season right now are:
1.BMW
2.BMW
3.BMW
4.Mustang
5.Mustang
6.BMW
7.Mustang
8.Porsche
9.Porsche
10.BMW

From looking at the rest of the changes it seems they are trying to get the Camaro more competitive since they reduced their minimum weight and made a restrictor change. At least that's my only guess. Also the BMW teams are probably complaining because Mustangs have won the championship the last two years in a row.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm not really sure since the top 10 for the season right now are:
1.BMW
2.BMW
3.BMW
4.Mustang
5.Mustang
6.BMW
7.Mustang
8.Porsche
9.Porsche
10.BMW

From looking at the rest of the changes it seems they are trying to get the Camaro more competitive since they reduced their minimum weight and made a restrictor change. At least that's my only guess. Also the BMW teams are probably complaining because Mustangs have won the championship the last two years in a row.

I wonder if a pounds per cubic inch/liter rule would be more equitable and easier for fans to understand the handicapping.

Right now the bone stock M3 and the 2011 GT are pretty closely matched, I would think with the uber trick M3 suspension they wouldn't need to add weight to the Mustang.
What's up with adding weight during the season when the BMWs are already winning??? AND Consistently???

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I wonder if a pounds per cubic inch/liter rule would be more equitable and easier for fans to understand the handicapping.

I don't think that would be a very good way to handicap the cars since there are many more vaiables to these engines. Think the FR500C's have a redline of 7200 and standard cams while the Boss 302R's have a redline of 7500 and variable valve timing. That would not be fair to give them the same handicap even though they are both 5.0L cars. Also think how much heavier the Camaro would be with it's 6.2L even though I believe it turns even less RPM. Also the new M3 has individual throttle bodies and from what I understand is somewhere close to 8500 redline!

You are right that it would make things easier to understand though. Instead Grand Am uses restrictors, which are in place on the FR500Cs, Camaros and E92 M3s.

Right now the bone stock M3 and the 2011 GT are pretty closely matched, I would think with the uber trick M3 suspension they wouldn't need to add weight to the Mustang.
What's up with adding weight during the season when the BMWs are already winning??? AND Consistently???

Changing minimum weight in the middle of the season is common practice in Grand Am to try and keep things equal and the championship tight. I do agree that I don't know why they added it to the Mustang and not the M3 though. It's silly to think it's because of the Barber results since this is the first year in the last three that the podium there wasn't all Mustangs. New Jersey will probably not be a good track for us, nor Lime Rock. We'll see what happens at VIR this coming weekend though:thumbsup:

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Sorry guys I've been slacking. The VIR race was on this past Saturday at 1pm. There is a re-air on May 4th at 3am though, hopefully you will be able to catch it with the DVR.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Interesting race. Lots of cars off track. Fuel ended up making a difference

side note: The camaro looked pretty good. Hopefully the adjuments that were made will make it competitive

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Interesting race. Lots of cars off track. Fuel ended up making a difference

side note: The camaro looked pretty good. Hopefully the adjuments that were made will make it competitive

Yeah, I'm glad to see the Camaro being competitive but they are still going to have to slow those new BMW's down. Now that we are at a disadvantage they don't have much competition at all. If things don't change the BMW's will win the championship without any resistance. The only question is will it be a Fall-Line car or a Turner car?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yeah, I'm glad to see the Camaro being competitive but they are still going to have to slow those new BMW's down. Now that we are at a disadvantage they don't have much competition at all. If things don't change the BMW's will win the championship without any resistance. The only question is will it be a Fall-Line car or a Turner car?

Yea, those Beemers were fast. The Rum Bum car seemed fast too.

David Hester

Established Member
Good weekend. Track had been swept, BTW.;-)
Won my class Saturday and Sunday...Ok I was the only SARRC SPU car running, but I got a 8th overall (out of 37) Saturday with an overheating motor-had to let 3 cars by that I had passed, and 4th overall (out of 34) Sunday.
Got down in the teens with several 2:17 race laps. I knew there were no other SARRC cars (South Atlantic Road Racing Championship folks) in SPU so main goal was teens. Good Fun. Perfect weather. mid 80's Saturday and mid 70's Sunday.
MYLAPS
MYLAPS

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Lime Rock Park this coming weekend. We practice Friday and race Saturday for you east coast guys and girls that want to come out and watch some great racing! This one won't be televised so if you don't make it, you won't see it ;)

steve121

Established Member
Lime Rock Park this coming weekend. We practice Friday and race Saturday for you east coast guys and girls that want to come out and watch some great racing! This one won't be televised so if you don't make it, you won't see it ;)

Tom,
Craig and I will see you on Friday. We won't be able to attend the race on Saturday as we have to load the trailer for Sunday's trip to Watkins Glen.
Good luck with the Race!

Users who are viewing this thread