My 1970 XW Ford Falcon Coyote Build

XW Coyote

Established Member
I joined the forum community some time ago to use as a resource tool looking for information about the new Coyote engine

I mentioned that I was restoring a 1970 XW Ford Falcon over here in Australia. He said that community members would be interested in my build and I was asked to post some pics.

If the mods think this should be in another section please feel free to move it to the right section

I'll just give you some short history of our Ford cars in Australia.

In 1967 - 1972 Ford Australia started a line of performance vehicles offering factory performance upgrades they called these cars GT's. These years are referred to as our Muscle Car Era with high performance models being produced from several car manufacturer's mainly Ford, GM (GMH) Australian subsidiary of GM and Chrysler.

The 1966 model was Fords first offering of a Hi Performance four door saloon car. It given the code name as XR GT and offered the Hi Po 289 Windsor V8 engine. This car was the beginning of a golden era for Ford in Australia and was the start of the cult series of cars designed and built in Australia.

Being the original GT. The XR GT is still a much sort after collectable even today.

In 1967 the next model produced was the XT GT commonly known as the Phase 1 GT. The engine was upgraded to the Hi Performance 302 Windsor it also continued on from the racing success of the XR GT.

In 1969 the XW GTHO was in introduced and was known as the Phase 2 GT. This car really raised the performance stakes compared to the other offering from GM and Chrysler. In 1969 the car was introduced with the 351 Windsor. Such was the success of this car it ran for an extra year of production and was offered with the choice of the 351 Windsor or 351 Cleveland V8.

In 1970 - 1972 the XY GTHO or Phase 3 was born Ford went all out with the 351 Cleveland to specifically win Bathurst our greatest car race and still is even till today. This car is re-guarded as the greatest muscle car that has ever produced in Australia and original 500 GTHO's built by Ford specifically for racing with matching numbers fetch around the $1,000,000 dollar mark or greater.

Ford had a Phase 4 planned for release in 1972 but the Government fearing that the manufacturer's were getting out of control allowing everyday drivers to purchase these vehicles made changes to regulations and introduced EPA requirements which effectively killed off these vehicles.

That's enough of that so I'll get to the point of what I'm up to.

I have purchased a 1970 XW Falcon for a full restoration and rebuild. As this car is not of the GT variety I can basically do what I like to it.

What I have planned is a full bare metal restoration with a Coyote & 6R80 swap and many other modifications including twin turbo's

So if you are interested in following my build I will post some pics.

Last edited:

XW Coyote

Established Member
Here's a couple of pics of what she used to look like

WP_000242.jpg

WP_000243.jpg

WP_000245.jpg

XW Coyote

Established Member
Inner guards and shock towers have been removed to make room for the Coyote engine. New front end has been clamped into position and squared up welding intoposition.

New%20Front%20End%20in%20Position.jpg

XW Coyote

Established Member
We've had to make some big mods to the transmission tunnel and fire wall to make room for the Coyote and 6R80 transmission. Because the auto is so big we will have to alter the drive shaft tunnel as well to house the drive shaft.

WP_000346.jpg

We've added some extra bracing to strengthen the shell and mount the gearbox mounts

WP_000347.jpg

XW Coyote

Established Member
I've borrowed some wheels to do a mock up of how the car will sit on the road. I won't be using these wheels I've ordered some from Bonspeed and I'm waiting for them to be made.

Side%20view%20with%20possible%20wheel%20choice%20%2018%20on%20the%20front.jpg

20%20inch%20wheels%20under%20the%20rear%20end.jpg

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
Nice color. Would look good sitting next to my tractors...

Actually... would look good sitting jolly well anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread