Votes: 59 68.6%
  • Cobalt

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • blow my tranny

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
High school drags is comin up and I think just convinced my friend who has a Cobalt SS to go. I've already raced him and I only had intake and so did he and i pulled him from a stop, and ran him from a roll and power-shifted 1-2 lengths on him. I ran a 14.5 @ 94mph last high school drags. Now I have no rear seats, Nitto drag radials, bbk shorties, off road h, mac cat-back, and pro 5.0. He now has GM stage 2 pulley and chip. I think we should be around the same as before but what does everyone else think?

Last edited:

duomaxwell

Established Member
I was on a cobalt ss site trying to figuer out if you whold win when I fond a thred about using cobra heat exchangers on thir cobalts. Oh and you will win, a pully on thos cars means axel hop real bad.

AzureMach1Auto

Life is good
Established Member
They are low 14 sec. cars @ 99mph. I would say it's a drivers race. Now when the 260hp '08 turbo Cobalt comes out you'll be in trouble.

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
They are low 14 sec. cars @ 99mph. I would say it's a drivers race. Now when the 260hp '08 turbo Cobalt comes out you'll be in trouble.

tight I'm shootin to break 13's at high school drags in 2 weeks.

I find it funny, all of my friends who know my car and his think i'll win, and all of his friends that have ridden in his and don't my car think he could beat me. trust me I don't think I need to improve my driving I actually wish I had a new tranny and driveline stuff to reassure the beating. no grinding, just a lot of quick shifts. and I deffinatly outdrove him last time. he was at my door when we hit it and when we shifted and hit the next gear I was quicker and pulled a length then he was at my rear bumper through the next gear.

Last edited:

Starsky 77

Established Member
My buddy has one and the cluch is to small for the car unless they fix it by a redesined transmisson which will alow a larger cluch plate. the clutch simply will not hold up to a power increase untill the higher rpm's. He fryed the stock one and the centerforce is not doing much better. The clutch can't hold the power and spins under hard aceleration.
It is a 2005 supercharged ss cobalt. Not all the ss cobalts are superchared.
You are going to smoke him off the line and hold the lead the lenght of the track.
Even the new ones are going to have problems the wheels spin easy in the car as well.:burn:

USMCFieldMP

.:Longhorn Racing:.
Established Member
A Cobalt SS with the GM Stg 2 CAN run High 13's @ 103-104mph... but it all depends on the driver and whether or not they know how to launch the car.

Its definitely not made for the Drag Strip, but if he is good, I mean really good... he could get as low as a 13.7 or with just the Stg2. BUT, most Cobalt driver's don't know what they hell they are doing at the track... and he'll probably run a mid to high 14... if not a 15.

My buddy has one and the cluch is to small for the car unless they fix it by a redesined transmisson which will alow a larger cluch plate. the clutch simply will not hold up to a power increase untill the higher rpm's. He fryed the stock one and the centerforce is not doing much better. The clutch can't hold the power and spins under hard aceleration.
It is a 2005 supercharged ss cobalt. Not all the ss cobalts are superchared.
You are going to smoke him off the line and hold the lead the lenght of the track.
Even the new ones are going to have problems the wheels spin easy in the car as well.:burn:

The clutch isn't REALLY a problem... it'll hold 450hp... BUT it is very tempremental. It HAS to be driven a certain way. If you daily drive like a grandma and shift at like 2k... then you will have problems. For some reason, you HAVE to shift at 3k with this clutch, for it to truly be effective.

I've always shifted mine at 3k and never had problems... in fact, my clutch grabs hard enough to make the CD player skip. Its all in the driver... our cars are VERY hard cars to drive.

You can't rev it up on the line either... I leave the line at 2k MAX... otherwise, you risk burning it up, spinning the hell out of some tires (FWD Sucks), or wheel hopping to hell and back.

In short... these cars suck at the drag strip. Well, they suck in general... but even more so at the Drag Strip. Our 1st gear is short as hell... its pretty much pointless.

Any more Q's, just ask.

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
i actually just found out by one of my friends that it doesnt have the chip. but whatver hopefully my car wont leak by then

They don't make Chips for Cobalt's... if he's got Stg2... then he's got the GM Stg2 tune (rich as all hell).

But like I said... easing it off the line, pulling 2.3 & 2.4 60's... I could still pull off a 13.9 @ 103 last year.

My highest trap was 104.8 and that was with the Stg2, exhaust, Intake, and a 2.8" pulley.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
you should have no problems running him and winning, esp if you have experience taking your car down the strip. eat him alive and make him think why he wasted his money on a slobalt

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
you should have no problems running him and winning, esp if you have experience taking your car down the strip. eat him alive and make him think why he wasted his money on a slobalt

I'm sure he didn't buy the Slobalt exclusively for its racing ability...

...but I'm loving my car a bit too much right now. I'm curious as to whether or not you could come and make me wonder why I wasted my money on my Slobalt SuperSlow...

...just a friendly "You car sucks" race... :banana: :D :pepper:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
^ hahaha id do it just for fun, you would beat me for sure at the moment my car is down while i out my s trim on, but i personally LOATHE those things but hey at least they are american. but whatever floats your boat.

Just outta curiosity, though, since jap cars are called "ricers", would you classify a cobalt as a "Gritser" lol

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
I'm sure he didn't buy the Slobalt exclusively for its racing ability...

...but I'm loving my car a bit too much right now. I'm curious as to whether or not you could come and make me wonder why I wasted my money on my Slobalt SuperSlow...

...just a friendly "You car sucks" race... :banana: :D :pepper:

actually, his friend told me he got it so he wouldn't have to do work on a car and just buy a fast car. He had to get help to put his intake on! so I'll show him how hard work and a budget kills lol.
thanks for the info!!!

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
^ hahaha id do it just for fun, you would beat me for sure at the moment my car is down while i out my s trim on, but i personally LOATHE those things but hey at least they are american. but whatever floats your boat.

Just outta curiosity, though, since jap cars are called "ricers", would you classify a cobalt as a "Gritser" lol

Jap cars are Rice...

American cars are.... Corn... Haha. I've always tried to figure out what was an American Ricer.

Mines just plain Crap. Haha, even I can admit that.

actually, his friend told me he got it so he wouldn't have to do work on a car and just buy a fast car. He had to get help to put his intake on! so I'll show him how hard work and a budget kills lol.
thanks for the info!!!

He probably sucks at Driving. You'll kill him, that's my guess.

Last edited:

rio95cobra

Established Member
lol man this is awesome. reminds me of when i had my '99 GT and running all my buddies and whoopin their asses in high school. it was actually about the nicest and quickest car at school at the time. I drive by schools around here now and im seeing 05-up Gt's and ive even seen a couple of corvettes driven by high school kids. those bastards. Anyway.....yeah i think you'll get him. Just dont miss 3rd!

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
lol man this is awesome. reminds me of when i had my '99 GT and running all my buddies and whoopin their asses in high school. it was actually about the nicest and quickest car at school at the time. I drive by schools around here now and im seeing 05-up Gt's and ive even seen a couple of corvettes driven by high school kids. those bastards. Anyway.....yeah i think you'll get him. Just dont miss 3rd!

No kidding... you should see some of the cars that HS kids drive around here these days. Insane.

When I was in HS... I think a 13 sec car was probably the fastest thing anyone had. Now if you have a 13 sec car, you get laughed at.

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
No kidding... you should see some of the cars that HS kids drive around here these days. Insane.

When I was in HS... I think a 13 sec car was probably the fastest thing anyone had. Now if you have a 13 sec car, you get laughed at.

No kidding. Not at woodinville though, theirs me, a cobalt ss, 67 camaro ss 350 auto (its stock he claims its 500hp) I checked the motor lol, and 2 corrado vr6's. One of my friends crashed his r/t stealth. And another friend got his 07 GT taken away cuz of tickets. But everyerytime other high schools I see Evo's and bikes. I know there were 2 5.0's at bothell that were bought by brothers with a n20 347 stroker and a 306 with a vortech. Heard the Vortech one spin 1st and he grinded 2nd. Some kids don't deserve these cars Makes me feel like I'm standing still..except to everyone else that goes to woodinville. A guy that graduated a few years back turbo'd his rsx type s. And I hear Snohomish and a few other schools are going to have a rediculous turnout for high school drags this saturday.

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
Sweet. Just get it on video. I wanna see how bad this joker does at the track. I've seen some REAL bad performances at the track... and I'm gonna guess he's no different.

rio95cobra

Established Member
man i wish my highschool would have hosted a ****ing drag event at the track! man i would have been on that like flies on shit.i would think they wouldnt do somethin like that cuz it encourages kids to drive their cars like a bat out of hell? oh well. That really is awesome though. YOu go to a great school!

Users who are viewing this thread