My ~700whp M4 vs. 03/04 Redfire Cobra w/ unknown mods

LS WUT

Established Member
Absolutely, there's just something to it. Especially when you have an affinity for these vehicles. I went through two GT500's a few years ago (07-09's) and while I really liked them I just don't miss them like I know i'd miss a Terminator. GT500's are smoother, more comfortable, easier to drive but it's just not as "good" of a car to me.

Totally in the same vein. A TT coyote checks so many boxes with having insane power, drivability, comfort and technological niceties. I've never driven a '68 but I bet there's just not much like it. I love a simple vehicle that's about making the right noises and providing a special experience while driving. That's a big part of why we all do this stuff right? All chasing something, whether it's the process of a build, trying to be faster or trying to have a good time.
Totally agree with you you on that one. Everytime I had to sell one of my cobras I always regretted it. Initially I had sold my 2004 Redfire to a member on here if memory serves me right. It had a whipple on it, Longtubes, etc. it was a nuts car to drive. It made really good power I want to say about 680 or so to the wheels. I had some slicks in the back and man it was fun. These cars have always been a dream to me. So to have them it always nice, I can’t ever get the same smile I get from driving my cobras, even driving my 13 GT500, or the hellcat. Only one that gives me a smile factor is my 88 foxbody. That cars slower than most snails on the road. However the sound it makes idling, and under WOT is stupid awesome. You hit the nail on the head. This is why we do what we do. We all chase something. I think each one of my cars has its own “purpose”.

hatchke

Established Member
Totally agree with you you on that one. Everytime I had to sell one of my cobras I always regretted it. Initially I had sold my 2004 Redfire to a member on here if memory serves me right. It had a whipple on it, Longtubes, etc. it was a nuts car to drive. It made really good power I want to say about 680 or so to the wheels. I had some slicks in the back and man it was fun. These cars have always been a dream to me. So to have them it always nice, I can’t ever get the same smile I get from driving my cobras, even driving my 13 GT500, or the hellcat. Only one that gives me a smile factor is my 88 foxbody. That cars slower than most snails on the road. However the sound it makes idling, and under WOT is stupid awesome. You hit the nail on the head. This is why we do what we do. We all chase something. I think each one of my cars has its own “purpose”.

Totally agree there. All my cars have been special to some degree (except for the S4 I had, I'm scowling at you, Audi) and all server a very particular purpose. I'm finding myself finding every excuse I can to drive the Cobra and barely driving the M these days. My top leaks a tiny but so the M4 catches all the rainy weather, but that's about it.

You've got quite a comparison on your hands between a Hellcat and a '13 GT500 haha. That's quite the conundrum. One of my favorite cars i've owned was an '89 BMW 318i wagon (grey market import) and it was almost dangerously slow but it was so fun to drive. Got lots of attention being in really good physical shape and do miss it sometimes. The worst car i've owned for sure, but a lot of fondness there.

End of the day, this whole automotive industry is such a fun connective tissue between so many different groups of people. Not to bring politics into it, but I wish more people had more things like we have cars to all see one another as humans with connection.

LS WUT

Established Member
Totally agree there. All my cars have been special to some degree (except for the S4 I had, I'm scowling at you, Audi) and all server a very particular purpose. I'm finding myself finding every excuse I can to drive the Cobra and barely driving the M these days. My top leaks a tiny but so the M4 catches all the rainy weather, but that's about it.

You've got quite a comparison on your hands between a Hellcat and a '13 GT500 haha. That's quite the conundrum. One of my favorite cars i've owned was an '89 BMW 318i wagon (grey market import) and it was almost dangerously slow but it was so fun to drive. Got lots of attention being in really good physical shape and do miss it sometimes. The worst car i've owned for sure, but a lot of fondness there.

End of the day, this whole automotive industry is such a fun connective tissue between so many different groups of people. Not to bring politics into it, but I wish more people had more things like we have cars to all see one another as humans with connection.
Couldn’t have said it better myself buddy. You’re always welcome to take them for a rip if you’re ever in my neck of the woods, or vice versa.

LS WUT

Established Member

Attachments

• A911AF63-7538-46DE-88D5-FECE3FC4CB10.jpeg
    A911AF63-7538-46DE-88D5-FECE3FC4CB10.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 44

hatchke

Established Member
hahah very relatable. I will also absolutely take you up on that, i'd love to take a spin in a newer-gen GT500 than I had AND a Hellcat

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not surprised by your reply, Mike. It reminds me back when I had my '03 Cobra (ported Eaton) and I compared it to my son-in-law's 2006 Z06 which was making almost the same power (and was more refined) but I much more enjoyed the rawness of my Cobra. So if I owned that Z06 as well, I would say that I more enjoyed driving my Cobra simply because it felt more connected and had a nice rawness.

This is interesting. I have always thought of a c6z as unrefined. My HCI was nasty AF and seemed so basic to me. The chassis was simple but outstanding. It did have traction control and the half assed suspension nanny from that era but to me it felt like a very well put together C3.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I read somewhere the S58 is even better in the newer M4/M3. Like they can run 9s with minor boltons and e85. No upgraded turbo needed. Not sure how true that is tho.

hatchke

Established Member
I read somewhere the S58 is even better in the newer M4/M3. Like they can run 9s with minor boltons and e85. No upgraded turbo needed. Not sure how true that is tho.

Yeah, it's totally true in this case. The S58 cars are unbelievably platforms and light modding turns them into absolute rockets. I really prefer the aesthetics of my generation but can't beat the performance of the new ones.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Yeah, it's totally true in this case. The S58 cars are unbelievably platforms and light modding turns them into absolute rockets. I really prefer the aesthetics of my generation but can't beat the performance of the new ones.
Of course man, I have an M2C and looking forward to just getting the DME M4GTS tune. Its my daily-ish and just want something close to 500whp.

The new M2 is atrocious but the g80/g82 is growing on me. I'd probably swap out to an aftermarket front bumper for sure.

hatchke

Established Member
Of course man, I have an M2C and looking forward to just getting the DME M4GTS tune. Its my daily-ish and just want something close to 500whp.

The new M2 is atrocious but the g80/g82 is growing on me. I'd probably swap out to an aftermarket front bumper for sure.
Haha yeah I feel you there. The G80/2 has been growing on me as well, but I'd just have a hard time swapping out my F82 at this point.

M2C's are so cool, you'll love that additional power with the tune. I started off with BM3, then went flex-fuel.... then bigger turbos, fueling and never quite stopped lol.

Users who are viewing this thread