my 99 isn't very happy

Parabellum420

Established Member
aight so I'm not much of a car guy, I started a post a few days ago to try to get some help with a few minor issues I was having, (never actually finished it lol) but now... smh.. OK here where I am.

I gave it hell through first, went to slam into second, I noticed it didn't wanna go but being me I jammed it into 2nd anyway,, abd about halfway through second it threw itself out of gear, so I immediately let off the gas and pulled over, right?,... no.. no I didn't, I with all my might jammed slammed rammed it back into second and that was it.. nothing... now I've got nothing in any gear, it feels like the gears are there, it feels like the clutch is there , but there's no output to the rear, ive got it in the air now, rear end seems fine, drive shaft is fine I see no leakage... but
still.. no out put from trans when I put her in gear....

transmission gone?

could it be the clutch?

and.. can we leave my abusive ways out of this? lol..

Parabellum420

Established Member
guess I'll start dropping this trans...

stage 3 clutch while I'm at I guess, any "need to knows?" I do plan on throwing a gt trans in, any issues there?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It's called troubleshooting. Draining the fluid is step 1. You might get lucky and it comes out fine. At which point you start looking at the clutch. Just because you think it's good doesn't mean it is. Figure out the issue before throwing money away.

I could list every possible issue/step, but chances are it's already on YouTube somewhere.

You don't need a "stage 3" clutch for a stock car.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Worn synchros, dirty fluid… could also be a clutch issue, however regarding the latter I think you would have engagement issues. Change the fluid and test drive.. Does this only happen in 2nd?

FWIW its been my experience this is usually the trans. Caveat if you an aftermarket shifter, might need to adjust it.

Parabellum420

Established Member
Worn synchros, dirty fluid… could also be a clutch issue, however regarding the latter I think you would have engagement issues. Change the fluid and test drive.. Does this only happen in 2nd?

FWIW its been my experience this is usually the trans. Caveat if you an aftermarket shifter, might need to adjust it.
man the gears feel solid, and bd whatever makes the clutch springy also feels solid, I think the clutch is stuck engaged,,, or.... something I'm not sure how the clutch works in cars, I only have experience with motorcycle//dirt bike clutches... that or ,,, nah its gotta be stuck engaged somehow, bout to start dropping the trans , as bad as I hate to.. it's a bit intimidating lol... I was hoping it would be something I could get to without dropping it.. at this point I've wasted a ton of time trying to avoid it, with turkey day tomorrow and rain Friday.. I gotta get off my ass lol

shurur

Established Member
IMO, if you have no mechanic folks you can reach out to, you should consider using yourmechanic.com to get a mobile mechanic to come to you.

There are lots of great mobile mechanics with that group. They are vetted.

Once you mention "mustang cobra" in your request, you will get responses!

When I need an opinion, I schedule a visit from specific mechanics for each of our cars..

It's $80+ for a unrushed diagnosis.

Keep us posted..!

Parabellum420

Established Member
IMO, if you have no mechanic folks you can reach out to, you should consider using yourmechanic.com to get a mobile mechanic to come to you.

There are lots of great mobile mechanics with that group. They are vetted.

Once you mention "mustang cobra" in your request, you will get responses!

When I need an opinion, I schedule a visit from specific mechanics for each of our cars..

It's $80+ for a unrushed diagnosis.

Keep us posted..!
but... but....I did reach out to my mechanic folks ... you guys ..

lol.. nah, I gotcha, yea I'm gonna do that I think, I still haven't pulled it, I keep procrastinating lol... I'm still traumatized from my last transmission "I can fix it" escapade I guess lol

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Any update here? Hope you got that transmission out.

Nobody mentioned it before but it's possible you twisted off the input or output shaft.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Any update here? Hope you got that transmission out.

Nobody mentioned it before but it's possible you twisted off the input or output shaft.
Destroyed the output shaft in my 01 no lift shifting into 4th and this guy's got the same symptoms I had afterwards. Not sheared the teeth off, actually broke the shaft. *edit* actually, now I'm wondering if it was the shaft of the yolk that I broke. Will have to find pics. */edit*

Transmission guy said he hadn't seen something like that before on a street car, was kinda proud of myself

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Destroyed the output shaft in my 01 no lift shifting into 4th and this guy's got the same symptoms I had afterwards. Not sheared the teeth off, actually broke the shaft. *edit* actually, now I'm wondering if it was the shaft of the yolk that I broke. Will have to find pics. */edit*

Transmission guy said he hadn't seen something like that before on a street car, was kinda proud of myself

Yup, reading his description, it sure seems like the gears are intact but power just isn't getting from the engine to the driveshaft. Obvious problems are the input/output shaft.

Would like to see those pics if you find them!

Users who are viewing this thread