My Boat Nearly Sank

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Well I get a call from the camp manager and he tells me my boat is sinking. Being that I'm an our away I hop in my truck and hammer down to get to my dock. Well, 45 white knuckle minutes later I pull up to find my boat up out of the water near the boat launch. (great news considering the last boat that sank here had to pay about $37k in fines) I talk to the manager and he used a high flow pump he had to pump out the rear hatch to the point it wasn't going under anymore.

Bad news is the rear was TOTALLY submerged including the motor, all the electronics, battery, gas tank, and 2 cycle oil tank. I towed her home to fin that there was about 2 gallons of water in the intake and the 4 lower cylinders were full of water.

I pulled the plugs, check all the electrical connections, and checked the oil and gas for contamination. Surprisingly, there is no water in the gas or oil and all the electrical connections look mint. I then cleaned and lubed the starter and alternator.

Moment of truth is upcoming because one of the coils broke when it was removed so I'm waiting on the part.

I cycled the engine by hand about 200 times to push out all the water and then pumped Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder through the spark plug holes. After letting the oil sit for an hour or so I cycled the engine with the key and the plugs still out about another 50 times.

Pray for this thing to fire when I get the new coil and plugs! I'll update the thread then.

I found the leak as well....it was a shifter cable seal on the very bottom rear of the hull which I have fixed. God I hope this thing isn't ****ed. Any other thoughts on having this thing fire successfully?

Pic for reference...the entire rear over the rear deck and seats was under water. Water level was above the height of the shop vac sitting there.
20180805_063210.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hoping for a good, clean re-start for ya! That really sucks that it got submerged, but thankfully you re-acted quickly and took some immediate steps to remedy the submersion ills. Keep us posted.

coposrv

Established Member
I would drain the fuel and change the oil. Grab some cans of those computer key board cleaner and blow out as much of the electrical connections you can. I wouldn’t be in a rush to fire it but I think you may be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4a7191a

Established Member
Take tour time on the fire up. Time is a friend in these cases. Marvel mystery oil ftw too. That stuff is great in these applications

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
There is no oil to change because it's an injected 2 stroke. I did check the oil and gas and found no water.... still think it needs to come out? Additionally the fuel tank is totally full with Mystery Oil, seafoam, and dry gas in it because I had just filled up.

I would drain the fuel and change the oil. Grab some cans of those computer key board cleaner and blow out as much of the electrical connections you can. I wouldn’t be in a rush to fire it but I think you may be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

M91196

Established Member
Yes fresh. I think the leak was the shift linkage cable seal... I'll tackle that if she fires.

Bet it will be fine

If it was in my driveway I would do all the stuff you did and blow any electrical stuff I could with my compressor, hit anything reasonable with displacement oil, run fans and put in an automatic bilge.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Would. The rigns need to be dried?

Bullshitisay said, I was a catcher when I wasn't pitching.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm hoping ignition eliminates all residual moisture.
Good luck but as my old boss used to say, hope is not a good plan. Fingers crossed for you, for sure.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
The plan has already been performed...there's not really much else I can do besides disassembling the engine which isn't a possibility. Hope is what I have for the steps I've taking leading to a good result. Is there anything else you can contribute that would lead to a higher likelihood of a successful result besides what you boss' feelings are?

Good luck but as my old boss used to say, hope is not a good plan. Fingers crossed for you, for sure.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The plan has already been performed...there's not really much else I can do besides disassembling the engine which isn't a possibility. Hope is what I have for the steps I've taking leading to a good result. Is there anything else you can contribute that would lead to a higher likelihood of a successful result besides what you boss' feelings are?
Just wishing you well. If you can't check the engine yourself can you hire someone that would do a payable favor. I would hate for your engine to blow. That is not a cheap replacement. My hope is since the engine was not running nothing got in the rings and the mystery oil does it's work.

But my boss did not want us to hope about anything because it costs lives. The same saying applies to daily activities. Throw your kid in the water and hope they can swim? Sorry, that mentality is just ingrained and not meant to piss you off. Sorry if it did.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I agree on the perspective on hope but there is no real way to check the engine without disassembly. I have insurance but don't want to use it unless it's absolutely necessary. The seadoo tech that i spoke to recommended the procedure I followed that had been successful for him on the past on the 2 stroke Merc v-6's that had been submerged. I didn't just go about this willy-nilly.

Just wishing you well. If you can't check the engine yourself can you hire someone that would do a payable favor. I would hate for your engine to blow. That is not a cheap replacement. My hope is since the engine was not running nothing got in the rings and the mystery oil does it's work.

But my boss did not want us to hope about anything because it costs lives. The same saying applies to daily activities. Throw your kid in the water and hope they can swim? Sorry, that mentality is just ingrained and not meant to piss you off. Sorry if it did.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Won't know until I get it back in the water...but other than the boot being loose I couldn't find anything else. Checked the entire hull inside and out and didn't see anything suspect.

You said in your original post that you found the leak (shift cable seal) and fixed it. Is there another possible leak?

Machdup1

Established Member
Using compressed air, blow water out of any electronics
Change oil including filter
Change fuel
Pull spark plugs
Disable fuel system
Crank motor to force any water out the spark plug holes
Install new spark plugs and enable fuel
Start motor and allow to idle until warm
Change oil/filter again

If successful, drink celebration beverage of your choice and thank the boat gods by sacrificing that old seal in a bonfire.

If unsuccessful, know that you will be able to say that you rebuilt a boat motor because you are that awesome.

M91196

Established Member
Still thinking about this, since it’s a two stroke I’d look for access to the crankcase below the pistons.

Can you pull the exhaust? Or the throttle body/ intake?

I can’t find any good engine pictures on the net but I would like to see that area accessed and make sure it’s not puddled with water maybe add some lubricant manually since the only oil the crank bearings receive is in the air fuel mixture, and if it’s injected they keep things lean.

I’ll keep looking on line for engine pictures and providing useless thoughts......

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
check - water out of any electronics
oil injected 2 stroke, no oil to change - Change oil including filter
checked it and saw no water - Change fuel
check - Pull spark plugs
check - Disable fuel system
check - Crank motor to force any water out the spark plug holes
check - Install new spark plugs and enable fuel
waiting on coil - Start motor and allow to idle until warm
see above - Change oil/filter again

Perfect idea - If successful, drink celebration beverage of your choice and thank the boat gods by sacrificing that old seal in a bonfire.

Please god no - If unsuccessful, know that you will be able to say that you rebuilt a boat motor because you are that awesome.

Using compressed air, blow water out of any electronics
Change oil including filter
Change fuel
Pull spark plugs
Disable fuel system
Crank motor to force any water out the spark plug holes
Install new spark plugs and enable fuel
Start motor and allow to idle until warm
Change oil/filter again

If successful, drink celebration beverage of your choice and thank the boat gods by sacrificing that old seal in a bonfire.

If unsuccessful, know that you will be able to say that you rebuilt a boat motor because you are that awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread