My Brand New F150, Problems Already

FordTechOne

First off...don't listen to Service Advisors. They are literally just sales people for the service department working on commision, 99% of them have no idea what they're taking about.

Second, the 10,000 mile oil change interval is the maximum under perfect conditions. Which means mild temperatures, all highway driving, and no towing or hauling. That basically fits the use case of nobody. Most people fall under the "severe" schedule", which is ~5K oil changes. The oil life monitor adjusts to suit the driving conditions, but it's not perfect. Mine typically indicates an oil change every 6-7K miles, which is about accurate given the use case.

Third...the engine is not broken in until 10,000 miles at minimum. During that break in period, it may, and typically will, use more oil. My 2019 3.5 HO used a quart in the first 5k miles, and hasn't burned a drop since. No oil consumption test should even be attempted before the engine is at least broken in.

As far a Sync, the majority of issues are the result of the paired device. We've seen the "MLB at Bat" app lock up navigation on Sync 3, as well as countless other issues caused by devices. Before you blame the system, consider what you're trying to pair to it. Another blunder is emojis in the contact list, they will pull down any infotainment unit.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
First off...don't listen to Service Advisors. They are literally just sales people for the service department working on commision, 99% of them have no idea what they're taking about.

Second, the 10,000 mile oil change interval is the maximum under perfect conditions. Which means mild temperatures, all highway driving, and no towing or hauling. That basically fits the use case of nobody. Most people fall under the "severe" schedule", which is ~5K oil changes. The oil life monitor adjusts to suit the driving conditions, but it's not perfect. Mine typically indicates an oil change every 6-7K miles, which is about accurate given the use case.

Third...the engine is not broken in until 10,000 miles at minimum. During that break in period, it may, and typically will, use more oil. My 2019 3.5 HO used a quart in the first 5k miles, and hasn't burned a drop since. No oil consumption test should even be attempted before the engine is at least broken in.

As far a Sync, the majority of issues are the result of the paired device. We've seen the "MLB at Bat" app lock up navigation on Sync 3, as well as countless other issues caused by devices. Before you blame the system, consider what you're trying to pair to it. Another blunder is emojis in the contact list, they will pull down any infotainment unit.
I know there is a TSB for Android Auto, but I don't use that either. The issues I have are experienced by both Apple, Android and Google phones connected to it. Just disappointed in the Sync system. Emojis shouldn't be bringing down infotainment units.

Just based on your screen name and post, I am guessing youre a Ford Tech. Wondering what you've seen with this window issue. Cant seem to run into a new F150 owner that hasnt had or current has window issues.

FordTechOne

I know there is a TSB for Android Auto, but I don't use that either. The issues I have are experienced by both Apple, Android and Google phones connected to it. Just disappointed in the Sync system. Emojis shouldn't be bringing down infotainment units.

Just based on your screen name and post, I am guessing youre a Ford Tech. Wondering what you've seen with this window issue. Cant seem to run into a new F150 owner that hasnt had or current has window issues.
Device manufacturers release product revisions and software updates constantly, auto manufacturers can’t design their infotainment systems to be compatible with products that don’t even yet exist. OEs are always playing catch up to fix the new issues created, hence the Sync update.

As far as windows, I don’t work at a dealer anymore, so I can’t offer much insight in regards to that. Personally I have not seen it. If it’s a widespread concern they’ll most likely issue a service message with a revised part/part number or a software update. Hopefully the part that they emergency ordered takes care of the issue for you.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Device manufacturers release product revisions and software updates constantly, auto manufacturers can’t design their infotainment systems to be compatible with products that don’t even yet exist. OEs are always playing catch up to fix the new issues created, hence the Sync update.

As far as windows, I don’t work at a dealer anymore, so I can’t offer much insight in regards to that. Personally I have not seen it. If it’s a widespread concern they’ll most likely issue a service message with a revised part/part number or a software update. Hopefully the part that they emergency ordered takes care of the issue for you.
I called them back last week to check on the status, parts are on back order with unknown date to receive them.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
auto manufacturers can’t design their infotainment systems to be compatible with products that don’t even yet exist. OEs are always playing catch up to fix the new issues created, hence the Sync update.
I would argue against this. Tesla does this pretty smoothly and is typically ahead of the game. Just tells me, in this specific incident Ford doesn't invest enough into the creature comforts such as the infotainment system.

Last edited:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Update: 5/31/2022

I'm on my third Case# with Ford Customer Service as apparently they time out rather than only close upon problem rectification. Windows still do not roll down or up.

In the next couple of weeks I will begin Lemon Law submission

Last edited:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
UPDATE: The window switch came in two weeks ago, installed the next day I think. All good until I realized the new switch was never reprogrammed and it still did the same thing that originally started the problem, going up and then coming down three inches. That problem seems to be corrected now.

While there I had them look at my front bumper, more specifically the plastic trim pieces below the bumper. I showed them where the bottommost piece was getting caught in front of the rubber piece just above it. The technician and service manager looked at it, thought maybe I hit something. I told them I did not and they were able to confirm I hadn't because there were no impact marks or any supporting evidence. They got the truck on the lift and noticed it was very loose, but all the attaching points were tight. They couldn't figure out why it was loose. The Service Manager went home to check his truck (same as mine and the dealer didn't have any new ones to compare mine to). He confirmed his was the same way. They ordered the parts to replace it.

Fast forward a week and I was in Ohio after trailering my 1946 Ford back to Ohio. I stop into the dealership that I bought the truck from to; 1.) Complain about the 5.4mpg I got towing a load home (3,500lb trailer +1946 Ford and other garage things. Grossed 15,320lbs with truck) and 2) tell them what a giant POS this truck has turned out to be. The service advisor pulls up my FordPass and sees the "Air Dam Sensor" is throwing a code.

Well, turns out that bottom trim piece is a air dam that has motors on each side of it that move it up and down with speed to "push the air away from the truck to improve fuel mileage." Worst design Ford has had since the 3V spark plugs. Looks like the air dam is over extending and allowing the upper trim piece to get stuck behind it and it causes the dam to be stuck and jammed.

I'm not surprised Ford thinks this system works, what I am surprised by is the technician and service manager didn't know that was a thing on the truck. They are ordering replacement parts.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well sucks to hear all this. But not really surprising. 1st year of any vehicle all the buyers become the beta testers. The good news is they will fix all these issues but over time as they find the fixes. Maybe worthwhile to get ford ESP.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I feel bad for you after reading about all your issues. In your last post, you said, "1.) Complain about the 5.4mpg I got towing a load home (3,500lb trailer +1946 Ford and other garage things." I wouldn't think fixing the air dam functionality is going to improve the fuel mileage enough to change your frown to a smile. You ARE towing a lot of weight so you can't expect optimal fuel mileage, but dang, 5.4mpg sucks.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I feel bad for you after reading about all your issues. In your last post, you said, "1.) Complain about the 5.4mpg I got towing a load home (3,500lb trailer +1946 Ford and other garage things." I wouldn't think fixing the air dam functionality is going to improve the fuel mileage enough to change your frown to a smile. You ARE towing a lot of weight so you can't expect optimal fuel mileage, but dang, 5.4mpg sucks.
Yeah I was expecting a hit, but not 5.4mpg. I was expecting 10-12.

Ironically, I actually got worse fuel mileage westbound...when I was empty lol. There is the "majority of wind moves west to east" and its "basically uphill from the east coast to west coast" arguments for that, but I actually had to stop in Lincoln, NE and add 2,600lbs of concrete into the trailer to keep it from being blown all over the road. Fuel mileage went up from 5.5 to 5.8 after adding the weight. I think this is due to trailer stability and not jerking the truck around. Winds were insane in eastern NE at the time.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Hey all,

Wanted to come back in a update everyone. Been awhile.

TL;DR Dealer kept ****in up the truck, still riddled with quality issues. Ford is buying the truck back and I am waiting on the recall to be lifted on my new one.

I kept having issues with the truck, mostly third party supplier issues. Ford agreed to purchase the truck back under Lemon Law in Sept of 22. I was able to select a Substitution Of Collateral (SOC) course of action. Basically I get to pick out a new truck and only pay the difference in sticker price from my current truck to the new truck. My Ford Motor Credit loan would not change (payment amount, due date and remaining balance) They just swap the vins on my loan basically.

The dealership I was using, Fallon Ford-Toyota in Fallon, Nevada royally ****ed the truck up during one of my warranty repairs. I had them balance and rotate my tires while they were replacing the air dam. They did not torque my lug nuts on my front drivers side wheel and when I picked it up..you guessed it, the wheel came off.

I finally picked out a truck, had it shipped from Oxnard, Ca to Carson City, NV. Once the truck got there they called and told me they could not sell it to me because Ford just put a recall on it. That was Dec 3rd. The recall was just completed this past week.

All in that time, I was recruited by Ford to be the Plant Sr. Quality Coordinator at an Assembly Plant lol. Now that I'm on the inside, I can tell you 1,000% there is zero surprise to my situation. Ford needs help.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 63

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey all,

Wanted to come back in a update everyone. Been awhile.

TL;DR Dealer kept ****in up the truck, still riddled with quality issues. Ford is buying the truck back and I am waiting on the recall to be lifted on my new one.

I kept having issues with the truck, mostly third party supplier issues. Ford agreed to purchase the truck back under Lemon Law in Sept of 22. I was able to select a Substitution Of Collateral (SOC) course of action. Basically I get to pick out a new truck and only pay the difference in sticker price from my current truck to the new truck. My Ford Motor Credit loan would not change (payment amount, due date and remaining balance) They just swap the vins on my loan basically.

The dealership I was using, Fallon Ford-Toyota in Fallon, Nevada royally ****ed the truck up during one of my warranty repairs. I had them balance and rotate my tires while they were replacing the air dam. They did not torque my lug nuts on my front drivers side wheel and when I picked it up..you guessed it, the wheel came off.

I finally picked out a truck, had it shipped from Oxnard, Ca to Carson City, NV. Once the truck got there they called and told me they could not sell it to me because Ford just put a recall on it. That was Dec 3rd. The recall was just completed this past week.

All in that time, I was recruited by Ford to be the Plant Sr. Quality Coordinator at an Assembly Plant lol. Now that I'm on the inside, I can tell you 1,000% there is zero surprise to my situation. Ford needs help.

They are more than lucky you weren't SERIOUSLY hurt with that wheel fiasco.

Wow.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
They are more than lucky you weren't SERIOUSLY hurt with that wheel fiasco.

Wow.
Yeah, I quickly summarized the situation here, but had an hour long "discussion to encourage the dealership GM and Service Manager to get their shit together"

They made it right, but only because Ford agreed to buy it back. If they were not buying it back, I would have gotten more out of it.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I did. I found another "unicorn features" truck. Outside of what I think is a little too much oil consumption and terrible mileage during towing, the motor has been good to go.
I would have a hard time getting back into an ecoboost. They seem to be full of all kinds of design issues. Ford in general is riddled with design and build quality problems as well. All vehicle manufacturers are having this trouble, but ford stands out on top… they were the only manufacturer to LOSE money last year… a BUNCH of it.
If I had to buy a new vehicle today, I am not sure what I would do. I would probably lease something for 2yrs and always have a warranty backup (and loaner vehicle).

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I would have a hard time getting back into an ecoboost. They seem to be full of all kinds of design issues. Ford in general is riddled with design and build quality problems as well. All vehicle manufacturers are having this trouble, but ford stands out on top… they were the only manufacturer to LOSE money last year… a BUNCH of it.
If I had to buy a new vehicle today, I am not sure what I would do. I would probably lease something for 2yrs and always have a warranty backup (and loaner vehicle).
Right

A few things; I really didn't have a choice in terms of what engine. Coyotes are great engines, but the EcoBoosts have a higher towing capacity. Under normal driving conditions the EB's are getting better fuel mileage as well. Oil consumption in the coyotes was a bigger issue in the Gen I & II, the Gen III's are still seeing issues with oil consumption. Just not as often as previous gens. The difference between the consumption issue I was having, and the coyotes is mine was "within engineering tolerances (1 Quart/7,000 miles)". The coyotes' issues are almost all out of spec. This is my understanding from my research and observations here at Ford.

The other option was a super duty, either the 6.7 Diesel or the 7.3 Godzilla. I wasn't willing to pay $100k for a new truck AND those engines are not without SERIOUS Serious issues at the moment as well. I'm not at liberty to discuss these catastrophic issues at this time.

Ecoboost was the correct choice here. Issues observed are significantly less than other engines.

Speaking to Ford's quality issues, you are correct.. Ford is really struggling. Fortunately it is being acknowledged at the highest level and they have begun bringing in fresh, new Quality teams to bring Ford out of the dark ages. Coming from Tesla... it's... different here.

Users who are viewing this thread