My clutch exploded today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorR90

Banned
There was no warning at all, no weird noises, no slippage, nothing. The only weird noise was when the TOB went out 3 weeks ago and I had that replaced by a shop. Haven't looked at the damage but I'll update with pics of underside tomorrow.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Damn man good your ok, like others said, that could have been really bad for your lower extremities!! Im looking forward to seeing more pics of the undercarriage

zeusha

Established Member
WOW ... that is crazy man. I've never seen a clutch exploded like that. Looks like it just shattered.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I couldn't tell by the photos of the block ear you mentioned that was broke off. But I have fixed 2 blocks years ago where this happend and welded it back on with a arc welder. One has to use a nickle rod also heat the the weld area with a torch so it wont crack then cooled it slow to also keep it from cracking.

Just a thought before you pull the engine. I would go to someone that has welded cast iron before, its not something for someone that hasnt done it before.

I have welded cast iron many times threw the years for work on machines that had parts broke off and no new parts around. It might be a option if its only one tab with bolt hole.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Established Member
DAMN!!!!! Glad your ok i have seen them explode at tracks its never fun.
There is a video on youtube where a guy blew up his z06 clutch and broke the mounts on the block and welded them back on.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
ill have to admit after seeing these pictures and reading this thread im soooo sooo soo glad i invested in a scatter shield. everyone one svtp said yes get one and i did

you need one of these... they are heavy as hell but after what i just saw from your pics i dont think you would chance that again

9997bdf4.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Damn dude thats crazy, you are stupid lucky that it exploded towards the concrete and not towards you! This scares the crap out of me, i mean i know this isn't common even on the really high rwhp guys but still it could happen.....

gksingh

Established Member
Holy shitsmack you got Lucky as Hell.

I have yet to see that Happen. Well the main thing is you still have your feet and yea I would be having a little talk with the Shop that put the throw out bearing in...

Cobra03Mach1

Established Member
Same thing happend to my friends mustang. The clutch was slipping so he decided to do a burnout before he replaced it and the clutch blew up also taking out his block. He ended up replacing the motor, and tranny.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
im ordering a blow proof bellhousing now...thats crazy shit bud, glad your ok.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I really hope this isn't a common problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread