My dog almost died today

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
I'll try to make this as short as possible, but bare with me as I'm venting

So I've been trying to get up with my parents all day, and to no avail. I start to get worried as my mom usually answers her phone, no matter what the time. So as I get out of the gym, I see I have a missed call from mom. Call her back, and she is crying.

I ask her what's wrong, and she said that our 11 y.o. Shih Tzu Mia had suffered from congestive heart failure this morning. They said she stopped breathing, and so they rushed her to the e.r. vet. The clinic gave her emergency shots and gave her heart medicine as well. They said that she had a very enlarged heart, and that all of her fluids were surrounding her heart. On a scale of 6, they said she was a 4. If it wasn't the weekend, then my parents wouldn't of been home, and she might of died.

I'm away at college, and so I haven't seen her since I moved in three weeks ago. I don't want my dog to die, let alone me not be there with her, as we've already have had one dog (choc. lab) pass away.

Sorry for the venting, I just figured my fellow SVTP'ers might lend a helping ear as I really don't tend my feelings around my friends and family.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Sorry to hear that. My childhood dog passed away while I was at school and that was the worst phone call I've ever taken.

4a7191a

Established Member
sorry about that, i dread the day anything happens to my dane. hes 6 now and he still acts like a puppy, i hope he makes it 6 more years.... even though the odds of that are rare. :(

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
I feel you. Our Belgian Malinois passed away when I was at college as well. We got her when I was 6. Grew up all my life with the dog. Died at 20 end of Soph year. Was a terrible feeling knowing that I hadnt seen her in 2-3 months and she died without me being there. Best wishes for you.

Stinger2011

Established Member
Hope your dog gets better. My dog was killed by a family members dogs and they said it was our fault even though it happened on our land and we kept telling them to keep their dogs locked up because they keep coming over and will fight ours over their dog that's in heat.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
You should probably go ballistic on any heart you see and torture it while all of it's heart babies have to watch.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
The vet told my parents that when it comes to heart failure, she was a 4 out of 6. I guess it deals with how much longer they have to live. They told us that she has 1-2 years left, but that she will ultimately succumb to her failing heart. She is 12 though. So at least this isn't happening while she was still younger

Planter

Banned
sorry to hear about your pup Wolfpack. :(

such is the circle of life though, all things can not last nor live forever, I miss my cocker spaniel Freckles, he was a darn good dog, a little stubborn like me, but otherwise a good dog.

1992sc50

What, its just a 5oh!
Established Member
Tough to see or know of your dog having problems. Even if the dog has a couple of yrs left in it I hope it isnt suffering and you try to keep it going as long as you can. If it comes to that hopefully you or your parents will make the right choice. Hopefully the meds do the trick though. Good luck.

A Suede Futon

Established Member
The best of luck to you.. Both of my our (me and the mother) pitbulls died within a year of each other back when I was in high school. It was tough, but they were much older than 12! I hope the best for you and your dog :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear about your beloved dog have heart issues. I've never had a dog myself, but our granddaughters have a dog and are very attached to her. Losing a beloved pet is difficult for sure. Hopefully the medications will help Mia with her heart problems. How is she doing today?

Users who are viewing this thread