newcamera084.jpg

newcamera085.jpg

newcamera089.jpg

newcamera090.jpg

newcamera101.jpg

newcamera095.jpg

newcamera087.jpg

newcamera086.jpg

Well I finally bought my very first handgun. I've always had an interest in polymer pistols. I was trying to decide between the Glock, Springfield and this Smith&Wessen.

I bought it a week ago but wanted to take it to the range before I posted.

Im thuroughly impressed with this M&P40!!! It is kinda heavy for a polymer frame(I beleive it is about 6oz heavier then a Glock) Recoil for a 40cal I think its very managible. I was also able to fire a friends 9mm and 45 today after a few rounds with mine. It has the standard 3dot carry sights and was easy to get line up. As mentioned before this is my first hand gun. Infact it is the first handgun I've ever fired. Today at the range I was able to put my first 2 clips(15 rounds per clip) in the bullseye with a 3.5inch grouping at 15yards. To me being a first time shooter I think that is decent. I do admit I did push one round down about 7 inchs from the center when I was trying to anticipate the recoil. This gun is wonderful peice of hardware!!! It gives me tremendous confidence on being able to get the hang shooting one.

Last edited:

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
excellent choice for a first. and 40 is a popular round for sure.. and its fairly inexpensive.
good job.. :beer:

but dont say clip.. its a magazine.:fm:

honcho_44

Established Member
Wow that is the EXACT choice I made for my first handgun! The M&P shoots great and will not let you down if you take care of it properly. I also like the Springfields (I have an XD-9 subcompact for concealed carry) but I think the Smith is a great choice. Just watch out, guns can be just as addicting as cars!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Yeah Im pretty new to firearms. I'm still learning the proper terminoligy on things. Trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can. I haven't touched a gun for about 13 years after my father died. I'm 27 years old now so I'm behind the curve but trying to make up ground by talking with other euthusiasts and reading information that I can dig up. I thank you for correcting me from using "Hollywood" language. I'm sure people using improper terminoligy to you is like everyone using Noss instead of saying nitrous oxide erritated me to no extent(or Engine vrs motor, fuel vrs gas, accellerator vrs gas pedel).

But yes I agree firearms can be just as addictive as automobiles and motorcycles.

Last edited:

honcho_44

Established Member
"Clip" is not necessarily Hollywood language, it's just different from a magazine. You don't see clips much anymore (sometimes with revolvers).

Anyways, definitely find some time to get out there and shoot! That's the only way to keep improving.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
With saying "hollywood" I meant poser language. Someone who is pretending to have great knowledge of the subject when they really don't fully understand what/how items work. I was guilty of repeating of what I have heard it called constantly.

However this could be a good spin off this thread of using proper names. Slides, stalks, frame, rail, striker, etc.

Will be getting out as much as possible. Oh and already looking for the next couple of options for a rifle. Want a nice bolt action, and also an assult rifle. any suggestions for each?? I'd like to get an AR-15.

Last edited:

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I tested the M&P the day I bought my XD40SC. I didnt care for the feel too much. It was decent but I liked the XD better. My friend had a full size XD9 and that felt great also but I needed something smaller for concealment.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I liked the feel of the XDM at the store. I think it and the M&P are the best "bang for you buck"(lol no bad pun intended) firearms out there.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
I bought a Springfield XDM-9mm last week. Awesome piece as is the M&P you've got there. Great first pistol. Great all-around weapon. I have had a lot of trouble finding .380 and 9mm ammo lately but .40 always seems to be on the shelves wherever I go and it's not much more expensive than 9mm. Good choice!

evolve

Established Member
lol^ My first handgun was a S&W M&P 9mm. I love it! My next will be a glock 23. I like those as well. What do you guys think about an M4? I know they are illegal to most citizens, but cant military/LE have them?

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
Great choice . Our Dept. is switching to this gun . I got to put 1000 rounds through one recently . I love the adjustable grip . I found the large to be the most comfortable . The biggest thing I noticed about this gun is the weight , very light . I'm used to shooting a Sig 226 . I could actually feel a huge difference while shooting....you can feel the mag running dry .

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
haha ya i was looking for that picture to post earlier..

You will definately be happy with your purchase. Good luck with the poorhouse once this addiction sets in.. I got bit by the bug again about 6 months ago... Hell 4 months ago i had 5 guns in a 10 day waiting period (cali) at once, the electricity bill was late, but i had a giant smile on my face.
Girlfriend threatened to shuve them up my <ahem> if i bought another one.
"My Name is Mike and I am an Addict... it has been 3 months since my last purchase"

Users who are viewing this thread