My first time...

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
Hey guys, thought I'd try and wake things up in here a bit.

I finally got to compete in my first autocross today. I've spectated and rode shotgun in a couple before though, so I had some idea of what it was all about. This one was held at a police training facility or something like that in Tavares, FL. I had a blast and actually was somewhat competitive considering it was my first time and my Cobra is bone stock. I think I did better than most of the other newbies there, who either ran very slow or got lost in the maze of cones. I'm not bashing them, just saying that I think I did very well considering it as my first time :D. The course was 2 laps and set up in a way that didn't leave the higher horsepower cars out to dry. By the end of the day I was running only a second and change slower than my other 2 friends who have quite a bit more experience than me.

Got some pics for your enjoyment:

img0055yu3.jpg

img0038fz3.jpg

img0022ge6.jpg

img0054vq5.jpg

The Bluesmobile made an appearance too!

img0014gm9.jpg

fastbird86

Established Member
Welcome to the addiction, Ya'll have a nice site out there surface looks nice and the lot is roomy.

Advise from someone who learned the hard way, run the car as is for the next year and improve on your driving. No part on your car will replace seat time, and stay on street tires for that year also! If you are fast on street tires, you will be quick on R-comps.

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
Yeah believe me I know that this is probably 90% driver and 10% car. I don't really plan on doing anything too radical to the car any time soon anyway. A lack of cash also helps with that ;).

ponyracer

Established Member
yup but the body roll will hurt you. There is a classification for everything on the road essentially. They have a sport truck class you will most likely be put into. just remember this is addicting and there is only one partial cure.....TO RACE MORE!!! check out the SCCA website for solo II autocross and for your local autocross race group/club. Have fun and good racing!

OOPPPPSSSS! I just realized that I never commented on the original poster. Sorry, your pics look great! have a great next racing year!

Last edited:

vertigyn

Established Member
Congrats and welcome to the addiction indeed!!! I've been hooked since mid-summer '07 and am loving it! I got to be pretty competitive and was doing well...but just recently swapped my solid axle out for an IRS and am back to square one! But it SOOOO fun!

Nice pics and welcome to the addiction!

quik6

SVT powered at last
Established Member
Looks like you had a blast. Was it intimidating being that it was your first time? Sounds like you did really well in comparison to your more experienced friends. Keep up the good work.

To the Louisiana guys, I'm interested in doing this. Could one of you PM me and give me some more info? It looks awesome, but I'm lost as to how to get into it.

Last edited:

fastbird86

Established Member
Looks like you had a blast. Was it intimidating being that it was your first time? Sounds like you did really well in comparison to your more experienced friends. Keep up the good work.

To the Louisiana guys, I'm interested in doing this. Could one of you PM me and give me some more info? It looks awesome, but I'm lost as to how to get into it.

PM sent my brother!

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
It was a little intimidating at first. In the event I posted up top I got 9th out of 10 people, but during practice runs at the end I was only running a second slower than my friends and that would have been good for 5th.

The cool news though is at the Jan event I just did I placed 3rd! I got a trophy and everything even though it was only my second time and I was somewhat outmatched vehicle-wise. I'm running a stock car in a prepared class, but I do it to directly compete with my friends so I don't care too much. I beat all my friends and came in behind a BMW 540i by only a couple tenths and a Camaro (by a second) that's pushing the upper limit of our class mod-wise and has a former rally driver behind the wheel.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
It was a little intimidating at first. In the event I posted up top I got 9th out of 10 people, but during practice runs at the end I was only running a second slower than my friends and that would have been good for 5th.

The cool news though is at the Jan event I just did I placed 3rd! I got a trophy and everything even though it was only my second time and I was somewhat outmatched vehicle-wise. I'm running a stock car in a prepared class, but I do it to directly compete with my friends so I don't care too much. I beat all my friends and came in behind a BMW 540i by only a couple tenths and a Camaro (by a second) that's pushing the upper limit of our class mod-wise and has a former rally driver behind the wheel.

I saw you run out there. That is a great looking car and you did very well considering the track was soooo tight and curvy. Did you enjoy the 4th run in the rain??
Are you going to the Feb event on the 17th?
The course layout is wide open and will be a very fast course.
There will be a bunch more stangs out there this time.
Be sure to say hello if you are there.

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
Hah, small world. That run in the rain was fun as hell! I'll be there on Sunday, too. I saw the map and it looks like a nice high-speed course. Black Cobra vert? Is that the one that has the gutted interior? I definately say "Hey" if I see you there.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hah, small world. That run in the rain was fun as hell! I'll be there on Sunday, too. I saw the map and it looks like a nice high-speed course. Black Cobra vert? Is that the one that has the gutted interior? I definately say "Hey" if I see you there.

Yes I have the black Cobra vert. The car was gutted due to having my roll bar welded in. Everything is back in except the carpet.
The door bar needs to be installed which will require more welding.
There is definitely going to be a Stang invasion at the autocross.
Do you drag race your car?
I'm going to Bithlo tonight hoping to beat my best of 10.7@130.
I look forward to meeting you on Sunday.
Rick

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
I've been to OSW a couple times, but I'm pretty new to drag racing so my times weren't very good. 14.8 @ 95.8 w/ a 2.38 60' :bored: I have been wanting to try and get back at least once more to play with my new shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread