My GT500 Review from NY AutoShow

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
Gents,

Hit up the NY AutoShow yesterday. Always enjoyable to see what each automaker brings to the table. At every show, I always feel the same thing, "Do we really need all these options?" The amount of cross overs and sedans makes my head spin. The number of cars targeting enthusiasts gets a lot smaller, and exciting cars below 100K even smaller. I wanted to see two cars at this show...the new Supra and the GT500 (of course).

SUPRA
This car looks like every panel was designed by a different designer. As a huge fan of previous Supra's, I was hoping it would have more of a presence. It doesn't. I'm sure it handles great, is agile, peppy and responsive, but around 60K for 330bhp in 2019 is sort of laughable. A track pack Mustang GT is a much better buy (and better looking car). Car is a total miss.

57783848025__7003F74D-0374-4B02-BC09-F4FAB1F9467B.JPG

GT500
I expected FORD to give this car more prominence at the show. It's the most powerful, the fastest, the most capable Mustang EVER and they just plopped it on the floor. Wish the marketing folks would give this car more love as it's the halo car for the brand, after the FORD GT, which they did have up on a mini stage. Marketing aside, what was it like to walk around this beast for the first time. Things I love, things I don't...

Depending on what side you're looking at, my love of the design changes. By far, the most amazing angle to look at this car is front on...it's front end design is AMAZING. Thing looks like a badass cylon weapon that's been designed to kill other cars. Menacing, aggressive, sporty and sexy all at the same time. Just look at this front end.
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 4.38.38 AM.png

The rear of the car is cool, but sort of lacks the cohesiveness of the Front End to me. What's not working for me? That spoiler. As someone who LOVES the GT350R rear, Ford really missed an opportunity here to sculpt a track adjustable spoiler that looked more appealing than this. I get that they are going for function over looks, but it just looks after-market tacked on by a teenager. I don't like either spoiler option...the Track Spoiler is too ricer, and the standard spoiler isn't aggressive enough. Sort of wish they would have found a middle ground that looked more GT350R nice. But oh well.
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 5.10.41 AM.png

The rest of the rear is nice. The HUGE exhaust tips are awesome and really stand out. Car is going to sound AMAZING.

Here's one way to make the rear spoiler look better, insert jackass me, into the shot looking like Frodo Baggins...
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 4.45.28 AM.png

Ok, now the part of the car I like the least, the side. This car is SO menacing from the front, crazy ricer track boy from the rear, and then the side profile is just boring. There's just nothing going on from the side profile that feels special. Even the GT350 had that nice vent behind the front fender that was a really nice design cue. My Type R has the same thing. My Demon has HUGE fender flares. But this car just doesn't have anything. Look it's not horrible, but it's just not special. I didn't take a photo of the side there, but here's an image.
download.jpeg

See what I'm saying? It's the area where the Snake emblem on the side is. Just feels plane. It needed something more.

The exposed carbon wheels are also an interesting design decisions. Not sure if I like that look or not. The carbon didn't feel as nicely finished as the carbon on the spoiler. There's also no carbon on the front. I think if you're going to add exposed carbon like this, it should be used tastefully throughout the car. These wheels do feel like they didn't get finished off properly. But again, they are cool, just take some getting used to.

Car was locked, so couldn't sit in. The white accent on the seats, as some have mentioned, are a horrible idea. White picks up ANY color. My dark jeans are dyed that color...they would rub against those seats and leave scuff marks. Not to mention the red wine I chug while driving (kidding).

Overall, Ford has done a great job with this car. Because this mustang body style has been out a very long time, it does feel a bit dated, but I've always loved the new Mustang lines so it works. Would hate to drop 100K on this and have them completely overhaul the Mustang in a year or two, but that's going to happen. Will Ford make another GT500 this badass, who knows.

Lastly...it is lame that Ford has this car and no numbers final. Walk over to Dodge and it's muscleville city with 707, 797, 840...etc. I know Ford is still tweaking, but it begs the question...why did they reveal so early? Not like they are going to have trouble selling every one. Just a piss poor way to launch such an epic car.

Does this car make me want to trade in my Demon for it? We'll see. I have to drive one. I would not pay a penny over sticker for the GT500 though, which means it would have to be a year or two from now to get one at that price. I think the Demon's looks, when you walk around it, are far more cohesive. The GT500 front end is better than the Demon's front end. The Demon from the side looks much better. The rear is a toss up.
Lastly, I do love the comfort of the Challenger. It's a BIG car and while that bigness makes it dumb for the track, it does make the cabin so comfortable to be in. The GT500 did look a bit cramped and claustrophobic inside. Not sure if it will feel that way, but just my observation. Would love a glass roof if it was offered.

That's it...enjoy this. Flame on. On D Bit, feel free to use any of these photos as your Avatar Photo since we know you won't be getting a GT500 :)

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Good review, thanks for posting along with the pics.

Agree on your points; the Supra is a total miss all around especially that derpy front end.

I imagine the wing on the GT500 will either be redesigned or we'll have other options in its 2nd model year.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
This is probably the most cohesive and comprehensive thing you have ever posted, and I truly appreciate it.
I too was there yesterday, and agree with your assessment of the cars and displays of the different manufacturers.
I thought the best display was the Nissan booth, the Z cars, old and new, both upstairs and the dozen or so downstairs.
Four hour ride down from Boston, spent 5 hours at the show, $85 for parking - ouch- and a stop at White Castle on the way home, made for a long but great day between myself and my two friends that went with me.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This is probably the most cohesive and comprehensive thing you have ever posted, and I truly appreciate it.
I too was there yesterday, and agree with your assessment of the cars and displays of the different manufacturers.
I thought the best display was the Nissan booth, the Z cars, old and new, both upstairs and the dozen or so downstairs.
Four hour ride down from Boston, spent 5 hours at the show, $85 for parking - ouch- and a stop at White Castle on the way home, made for a long but great day between myself and my two friends that went with me.

$85 parking???!!!

blk02edge

Established Member
Finally, a real post, and... I can even agree with a lot of your points

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ok, now the part of the car I like the least, the side...There's just nothing going on from the side profile that feels special...My Demon has HUGE fender flares...But this car just doesn't have anything...It needed something more.

Wat8.jpg

Son, this might be difficult to grasp but sometimes less is more. Unless you like bloated boats and asymmetric tire to fender gaps. And those "flares"...egads. Hideous.

ZZZZZ Phatty on Top.jpg

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
View attachment 1568723

Son, this might be difficult to grasp but sometimes less is more. Unless you like bloated boats and asymmetric tire to fender gaps. And those "flares"...egads. Hideous.

View attachment 1568722

Son, I like the way you use a BLACK Demon to talk about how nice the side profile looks...worse color to see the lines. Let me help you out...
Tell me you're a car enthusiast and don't think this Demon looks BADASS.
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 2.25.42 PM.png

But my point is not about the Demon. It's about FORD designing the GT500 to be, I believe, less appealing from the side this time around. Look, the GT350R is just PERFECT in my opinion. And The side details, IMHO, are much much nicer than the GT500. I've circled what I mean. It has a much nicer spoiler integration, and that cutout by the front fender just makes the side profile far more aggressive looking and stylish than the GT500...where as in the 500 the emblem is just floating on the fender with no real design scheme. That cut on the 350's fender just makes it look so aggressive and special. You really think the 500 looks better than the 350 from the side? And that's my point, Ford didn't do enough to make the 500 POP from the side. It's just boring if you ask me.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 2.15.35 PM.png

96gt02

Established Member
Wow i actually agree with most of what your saying here, this is crazy lol

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The GT500 allegedly outperforms the GT350, handily. The fact that Ford didn't pretty it up (in your mind) and chose function over form is what makes it more appealing in my view. But to claim that the Dodge looks better, from any angle, is akin saying Rosie O'donnell looks better than Scarlett Johansson. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however sick and twisted it may be, so I get where you are coming from.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Decent write up for the most part. I side with TOB on the clean look of the GT500 side view...vs the "Lee Press On" flares of the widebodies.

Users who are viewing this thread