My new 1993 Cobra...beware 56k

Stinger99

Established Member
kbillan
Undercoating on the underside

There is undercoating coming off thou.
soon as i can get this car on a lift, i will post some pics of it.

RydeOn
Thanks man

kbillan

Established Member
ahh. I hate undercoating- but it probably helped a lot considering the fender and hatch..

KB

buddha93

Established Member
Yep, that is a solid project car. You can drive that one for awhile until you get the funds and parts lined up. Don't worry about hurting the value with fresh paint. I'd be stoked as hell with the black cloth. Oh, and the purchase price too.....lol!

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I would flip it as is and find another in better shape. If you got that much rust on the outside, underneath is going to be worse. Just take your time removing body panels because the plastic mounts are going to be brittle.

Stinger99

Established Member
Thanks for all your comments guys, this one is a keeper.

Now for some mods:)

First things first, exhaust.
I had the h-pipe and 2 chamber flows on a 99 cobra, I know that sound, what im looking for now is the 1968 bullit mustang sound. (is that even possible.)

kbillan

Established Member
Oh no.

I think im going to start a new website-- people against modding 93 cobras.

You mean to tell me that thing has the stock exhaust on it too? Please dont molest this car.. LMAO. Take my money and buy any GT or LX out there.. ;)

kbillan

Established Member
Oh no.

after you mod the car, we can then go to Paris-- and touch up the Mona Lisa.... I have some good ideas on how we can beef up her chassis...

I think im going to start a new website-- people against modding 93 cobras.

You mean to tell me that thing has the stock exhaust on it too? Please dont molest this car.. LMAO. Take my money and buy any GT or LX out there.. ;)

Last edited:

kcp203

Established Member
I'd like to see pics of the underside also, as well as interior w/o carpets. Undercoating does a great job of hiding stuff.

If there is a windshield leak, be prepared for more rust in a lot of areas that are a PITA to fix.

In my experience, you can take the visible rust on a car and multiply by 5 for the amount of stuff you only find once you start disassembly.

As for those worried about "modding" the car if it has original exhaust, I want to know what condition you think the exhaust is in if there is that much rust on painted body areas?

Stinger99

Established Member
kcp203

As far as the underside, it looks ok from my point of view, but im not a pro at seeing things.

Again, the exhaust looks good, and for selling it.....Nope!

This is the way i see it.

I spent $1,500 for Cobra, Say it costs me $2000 to repair body work and rust spots, $1,500 for soda blasting the body and sand blast the underbody, $5,000 for a paint job. Thats $10,000 for the car with a new rust free paint job, add another $2,000 for lowballing all the work i just metnioned.

This is going to be a projetct, and yes funds are limited, as more important things need my attention and my money.....

I do appreciate all your comments and advice as i will be asking for more of it in the future:)

fivestangs
You are right about the fixing the rust first.

kbillan
when ever your ready to go to paris, I'm with you.
She needs a boob job.:coolman:

There is no rust in the door jams, I pulled the back interior peice off a bit where the rust is on the rear fender, and it dont look that bad in there, again, im not a pro here.

fivestangs
Flip it? Here in Connecticut people want top dollar for junk, You cant touch a nice looking unmolested fox here for less then 9 grand.

I think im ahead of the game so far.

Also, if you guys think i lowballed the prices, let me know.
What would it cost to replace a fender? I know the replacment fender is like 300 I think?

Last edited:

hi_po_heads

Established Member
dang i cant even find a 4cylinder for $1500. excellent find and you will be happy after its done and started modding. good luck

kbillan

Established Member
I dont know bro-- your pricing vs effort-- you can find any number of decent cobras for 7-10k... and there would be no work involved.

If it were me- i would try damn hard to save that fender and keep the vin tag.. might not be possible.. but i sure would try.

im with the guy who said flip it-- you basically found 2-3k.. might as well cash it in while you can :). You spend 8k on the car, will you get 9500 out of it? maybe. Maybe not-- as you sit now-- I am willing to nearly tripple your money ;)

you may ask how is this different for me? Like i said- i want a project. I have a car now, this one would be completely torn down-- re done.. restored.. maybe your looking for the same? Doesnt sound like it though..

good luck, which ever way you go :)
KB

Last edited:

Stinger99

Established Member
kbillan
I am looking to redo the car to close or better the factory showroom condition. I bought this car to enjoy it.

My goal is to get a black a teal and another red later down the road:rolling:

like i said before you cant find a nice foxbody here in the new england area for a low price that aint abused, I almost bought a 4cyl to convert and that was $1,000 (shell only)

as you sit now
I think im ahead of the game, this car was not bought with the inttentions to flip. If I EVER decied to sell, you have my word, you have first option.:)

Users who are viewing this thread