My new PC build. Feedback please...

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Hey guys,

I know we have a lot of members on here who have built PC gaming rigs, so I'm hoping to get some advice/feedback on my prospective build before I pull the trigger.

I'm looking to build a new gaming PC to replace my 9 year old Dell XPS 700.
I have gone back and forth between the Z170 and X99 platforms, and have finally decided to go with the X99 as I'm hoping the extra cores will allow me to keep it for a longer time.

I already have a new Cooler Master HAF 932 case so that is not included in my parts list.
Just making sure this will be a decent combo, and that I haven't mismatched any parts.
Please feel free to suggest any changes, or recommend alternate hardware.

Is the Corsair memory a good choice, or should I go with G.Skill?

I would like to go with water cooling for the CPU, but I'm not sure which unit to go with.
My case has room on the top for a 120mm x 2 or x 3 radiator.

Astrodudepsu - I tried PM'ing you for feedback, as we have discussed PC builds in the past, but your box is full.
Hoping you see this thread. :read:

Thanks to all! :beer:

x99_build_dec.JPG

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I just had a tower built to replace my DellXPS.

If this is for gaming, i think you can go with a cheaper AMD processor and two 970's and come out cheaper. My single 970 runs fallout 4 and gta v and it looks amazing. Great fps too. I dont know much about building PC's but that processor and video card seems over kill. Again, i had a friend's brother spec and build mine so dont take my word for it. I spent around $1400-$1500.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
that is pretty decent build and about on par with what I did when I built mine a couple years ago. you can always go cheaper but don't see the point if that build is in your budget. that MB will hold more memory than you will ever likely use too so great room for expansion

87hatchy

Established Member
That is certainly a great build. That Samsung SSD is one of the best you can get, along with that sabertooth mobo. I have both of those in an older version as well - Samsung 840 and my sabertooth is z77. And Corsair makes some of the best PC components you can buy. I'd recommend a fully enclosed water cooling setup. I have the Corsair h80i. There are probably newer ones by now. I built my PC 2 years ago.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Certainly overkill on the processor and the graphics. Could go much cheaper and still play every game on the market at full resolution.

All that being said if you've got the coin I say drop the cash and go crazy with it!

Noreiga

Established Member
I think a lot of the general info I read when I was recently building mine is that the 980 has a very poor cost to performance and that it's better to go either 970 or 980ti. I'd almost wonder if you swapped out the expensive dominator sticks for some corsair LPX stuff if you could bump up to a slightly better card or even save money if you went with the 970. As for the watercooling I've enjoyed my H100i GTX and had no issues installing it.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Most everyuthing looks good, but I think you could save yourself a couple hundred if you picked a different MB. Seems like overkill unless you plan on going with SLI later on or plan on extreme OC'ing. If not there are other X99 or Z170 based MB's a whole lot cheaper than that ASUS board. The video card seems to be a bit overpriced. I just picked up a GTX 980 Ti 6GB for $649.00 through Newegg.

U.M.

Last edited:

Noreiga

Established Member
Most everyuthing looks good, but I think you could save yourself a couple hundred if you picked a different MB. Seems like overkill unless you plan on going with SLI later on or plan on extreme OC'ing. If not there are other X99 or Z170 based MB's a whole lot cheaper than that ASUS board. The video card seems to be a bit overpriced. I just picked up a GTX 980 Ti 6GB for $649.00 through Newegg.

U.M.

Canadian prices suck for pc parts

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nice build but my goodness, those prices are sky high! Lots of those parts are double what they cost here.

What’s the main reason going for an i7 instead of i5? i7 offers lil to no advantage in gaming vs an i5, sometimes it actually hurts it.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Looks great. I have a similar build and trust me you'll not only be able to play games but destroy them. As other have said you can always go cheaper but if you got the cash then go for it.

My current rig:

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case
MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK Motherboard
Intel i7 5930K
MSI GTX 980 ti
64gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 Memory (2133)
Enermax Liqtech 240 Cooler
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb & 250gb
Acer XB270HU 27" G-SYNC Monitor
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Mouse
Corsair Gaming Audio SP2500
Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Keyboard
Corsair AX1200i PSU

Equalbracket

Established Member
Those prices are insane. Might consider 5820k and a different x99. I would have someone in the US buy them for you and ship it to you, save a few hundred bucks.

Also a 1ms 144hz monitor if you don't already have one, makes the biggest difference.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
If those are Canadian dollar prices, i am not sure about the price difference. So unless i compare your card and processor prices to the US dollar, i cant say. I will say the 980 isnt worth it IMO according to everything i read. Plus you dont need an expensive intel processor for gaming. My AMD 8 core processor was $140 US. However, if you want to spend more just cuz, be my guest.
Also a 1ms 144hz monitor if you don't already have one, makes the biggest difference.
That's next on my list. Can you comment on how that helps for gaming? I mostly play counter strike. I assume less latency with 1ms would be better.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Less screen tearing/blur with higher resolutions. It won't help you per se but it will visually be much better.

Noreiga

Established Member
Less screen tearing/blur with higher resolutions. It won't help you per se but it will visually be much better.

I'd certainly say my 144hz monitor was HUGE upgrade in the realm of helping performance. Everything is significantly more smooth and precise on this thing and to top that off having G sync has been even more of a benefit. 10/10 money well spent

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Wow, hell of a build. I will only repeat what has been stated by saying you are probably going overkill. If you have that kind of cash to drop and are an enthusiast for rig building for the sake of rig building, have at it. At least you will have the comfort of knowing your system is damn near as good as it can get, within reasonable limits anyway.
As for the recommendation to go with Asus, I would rebut that personally. I have been running AMD hardware for many years and finally switched to Intel after dealing with AMD for so long. I couldn't be happier with my choice, AMD just isn't worth it for me these days. I have always had problems with AMD builds and in the past several years they have underperformed in comparison to equivalent Intel builds (in practical use and from my experience). After going Intel, I have seen my Intel machine run faster and better than comparable AMD builds, and have had 0 problems.

truefiveo

Established Member
Certainly overkill on the processor and the graphics. Could go much cheaper and still play every game on the market at full resolution.

All that being said if you've got the coin I say drop the cash and go crazy with it!

Negative...you can never have enough GPU/CPU power.

That combo still can not max out
GTA V
ARK
Witcher 3
Project Cars

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Looks like a solid build. It was mentioned previously, but dump the i7 processor for an i5 unless you are planning to do heavy video rendering, CAD etc. The vast majority of games don't take advantage of hyperthreading and so the additional cost for the i7 can be spent elsewhere.

Sladester2

Established Member
Holy overkill on ram and processor. Use pcpartpicker to check prices on the web of different parts before you buy. Your prices are way too high.

Users who are viewing this thread