My new ST! Oxford White 2015 content

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Confirmed horrendous road noise. Not as bad as like a mud bog tire but still pretty loud for a small car. I hope they break in a bit. Also, traction is terrible. No snow yet but on dry roads they spin in almost every gear just getting on the highway. Time to back the tune off a bit and run it through the winter.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Road noise has gotten better. Driven about 400 miles on them and they seem to "break" in and are starting to quiet up a little. I do notice it more while turning vs just driving straight.

whiplash306

Established Member
Kevinatfms - love reading your posts. Sorry I've been so tardy in replying with my own thoughts and impressions. This darn 18 month old of mine OWNS my every waking "free" moment...ha!

Anyways, I'm at 47,000 miles and the car, outside of some occasional weird radio issue where it shows that it's on, but there's no actual noise coming out of the speakers (turn radio off, then immediately on works every time), the car has performed absolutely FLAWLESSLY. I've even still got the stock, original tires on. However, they're real close now to needing replaced. But rotating these tires every 7k (when I get my oil changed - synthetic) has significantly extended the life of the OEM tires.

So other than the Turbo Transformer and Injen SRI, the car, performance wise, is bone stock. I've also got Rock Blockers in place and had the clear bra installed within the 1st thousand miles of owning the car. So the front end and all leading surfaces (1/2 way up the hood, 6" up the roof line, side mirrors, under the door and hatch pulls and wheel wells) looks brand new still. I've been interested in getting a tune for the car, but only one that allows me to maintain all else at stock as I'm not interested in performing any significant mechanical mods.... Would be interested in hearing more specific impressions of yours reference your tune.

Anyways, glad to read you're enjoying the car! I don't see too many of them on the road, which makes them almost seem a kind of "special". For me, it's still the most fun, well balanced daily I've ever owned.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Kevinatfms - love reading your posts. Sorry I've been so tardy in replying with my own thoughts and impressions. This darn 18 month old of mine OWNS my every waking "free" moment...ha!

Anyways, I'm at 47,000 miles and the car, outside of some occasional weird radio issue where it shows that it's on, but there's no actual noise coming out of the speakers (turn radio off, then immediately on works every time), the car has performed absolutely FLAWLESSLY. I've even still got the stock, original tires on. However, they're real close now to needing replaced. But rotating these tires every 7k (when I get my oil changed - synthetic) has significantly extended the life of the OEM tires.

So other than the Turbo Transformer and Injen SRI, the car, performance wise, is bone stock. I've also got Rock Blockers in place and had the clear bra installed within the 1st thousand miles of owning the car. So the front end and all leading surfaces (1/2 way up the hood, 6" up the roof line, side mirrors, under the door and hatch pulls and wheel wells) looks brand new still. I've been interested in getting a tune for the car, but only one that allows me to maintain all else at stock as I'm not interested in performing any significant mechanical mods.... Would be interested in hearing more specific impressions of yours reference your tune.

Anyways, glad to read you're enjoying the car! I don't see too many of them on the road, which makes them almost seem a kind of "special". For me, it's still the most fun, well balanced daily I've ever owned.

The Cobb Stage 1 tune that is preloaded on the Access Port v3 is fantastic and requires nothing but a drop in filter. Since you already have the intake i would say go for it. You will not be let down at all. Worth every penny and later on if you want to get a bit more you can grab the larger front mount intercooler for stage 2 then add the catted high flow downpipe for stage 3. Stage 1 was a an incredible difference over the stock car, Stage 2 is even more.

MPG got better, throttle response is better, power under the curve is significantly increased. Worth. Every. Penny.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Well intercooler installed and 93 octane stage 2 OTS tune installed.
1da630f17d0c3a3d2d9de78e04c7a77b.jpg

Car is a total rocket. Blows the tires off into 4th gear now. This specific intercooler is made by Depo Racing and is sold for $329 shipped which is an absolute steal. Fits like a glove and is the same core size as the Cobb unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUV2REV

Established Member
The Cobb Stage 1 tune that is preloaded on the Access Port v3 is fantastic and requires nothing but a drop in filter. Since you already have the intake i would say go for it. You will not be let down at all. Worth every penny and later on if you want to get a bit more you can grab the larger front mount intercooler for stage 2 then add the catted high flow downpipe for stage 3. Stage 1 was a an incredible difference over the stock car, Stage 2 is even more.

MPG got better, throttle response is better, power under the curve is significantly increased. Worth. Every. Penny.

You don't require a drop in filter for Stage 1.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
You don't require a drop in filter for Stage 1.
You mean they dont require a filter for the S1 tune? Im sure you could get away with the stock filter but the washable filter is part of the package so why not use it.

LUV2REV

Established Member
You mean they dont require a filter for the S1 tune? Im sure you could get away with the stock filter but the washable filter is part of the package so why not use it.

Exactly. Stage 1 is essentially the AP tune, the drop in filter is pretty irrelevant. I bought an AP for my 15' ST without the filter and it's still considered Stage 1 with the tune installed.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Just checked prices - $500!!! Holy geez...! And no Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals.... ;-(

Talk to Mod Bargains. I got mine for $425 shipped. Tell them you are a part of FiestaSTforum and you get a discount.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly. Stage 1 is essentially the AP tune, the drop in filter is pretty irrelevant. I bought an AP for my 15' ST without the filter and it's still considered Stage 1 with the tune installed.

I understand that. I'll stick with Cobbs recommendstion though as the stock filters are nothing but crap. After 3 filter changes you are at the price of the Cobb or K&N filter and if you buy it with the bundle it's basically free for the price.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Awesome to hear of the stage 2 results! Noticeable difference from stage 1 i take it? This is on stock exhaust, correct?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome to hear of the stage 2 results! Noticeable difference from stage 1 i take it? This is on stock exhaust, correct?
Only modifications are the Access Port, K&N drop in, Depo front mount intercooler. I am very pleased with the stage 2 results. I am contemplating grabbing the high flow catalytic downpipe and going for stage 3 now. I want big turbo but wont until i can finally order the truck i have been waiting for. I am going to wait till the spring for the truck so the FiST has to go through the winter before any big plans happen.

Right now im getting 32mpg(hand calc) while the dash states 34.7. So mpg didnt really suffer at all while power went WAY up.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Almost 45k miles on the FiST. Oil change coming when i get back from my snowboarding trip.

Looking for new tires for the stock wheels. Mine are about done at this point. Thinking Falken 615K's in stock size 205/40R17....

Also looking at replacing the struts and shocks with the new released Bilstein B8's. Dont know if i will throw some Eibachs on it or not though. I like the height but i think .5 inch lower might look real good.

whiplash306

Established Member
Just turned over 52,000 miles in the FiST and they've been 100% problem free, very enjoyable miles. Stock tires lasted me a hint over 51k miles! I just replaced them with the exact same tire as I figured any tire that can provide for that much fun and still that many miles is a "win" in my book. Plus, I hate the uncertainty of any new, unknown tire. The road noise that most complain about doesn't bother me as all my toys are loud against the road. Otherwise, the clear bra is still holding up and the car overall, for sitting outside primarily, still looks VERY nice when cleaned up and washed. I love this little car!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
50k mile update. Went through the snow storm quite easily on the snow tires. Doing my own oil changes now since its out of warranty and using mobil 1 full synthetic and bosch premium oil filters.

Next mod is the suspension. I am very interested in the Bilstein B8 struts with the Eibach pro-kit. I dont want to lower it too much and still want it to be compliant. I think this is the best of both worlds.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Bilstein has finally come out with their B6 and B8 performance dampers. I am thinking some Eibach Pro-kit springs along with the B8 performance dampers. The only gripe i have is that i dont want progressive springs. Linear rate springs are much more manageable on a road course setting. The only two linear rate springs are the stock FiST springs and the Swift(never heard of them) springs. The swift springs lower well more than the 1" that i feel comfortable with. Eibach Pro-kit springs lower approx 0.7" all around which is what i want(need to keep it high for my driveway).

Coilovers are out of the questions. Dont want or need the hassle.

Will make another update when i finally buy this stuff along with some new 205/40R17's.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Been eyeing up the new Bilstein shocks as well. Not sure on springs either. I ran Swift on my WRX and they were absolutely awesome for all around dd and handling, lowered about .8" all around. Not a fan of how much they lower the FiST though unfortunately :/

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ordered new brakes front and rear for my 50K service.

Front:
Hawk HPS 5.0 pads
Centric blanks
Stoptech braided lines

Rear:
Hawk HPS pads(on sale tirerack.com for $55 shipped!)
Centric blanks
Stoptech braided lines

Finishing it all off with some Motul RBF600 fluid. Should stop nicely once completed. I am really blown away at how long these stock pads have lasted. Never could get more than 15-20k out of my Brembo equipped S197 or my Lightning.

Still on the fence about tires and the suspension...anyone have any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread