My Nightmare with Steeda--Super Long Story!

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Let me give you all some background here. Two of my buddy co-workers are best friends with Eric at Steeda. They told Eric to take care of me when I come in. For the last month I’ve purchased, CC Plated, Cat-Back, TriAx shifter, Intake, Shifter handle and lighter. Eric gave me great deals on the prices and was very nice helping me and even took me in the back where the Techs work on the cars. I thought we had a good relationship going until they installed springs, cc plates and billetflow throttle body. Even though they sell Accufab throttle bodies and never installed a billetflow they where happy to install mine from Amazon. Eric calls me to come pick her up. I arrive there and he goes to get my cobra from the back. He pulls up and says everything went well and what he noticed with the throttle body is that it idles at 1100 then takes a few seconds then drops down to 800 rpm. This was expectable being a huge single blade throttle body. I paid for the labor for the springs, cc plates and throttle body. Came to over $600. Yes very expensive but even Eric said their labor charges are higher but we get the job done right the first time. Sounds good to me right? All is well and I’m driving back to work and notice my shifter handle I just bought from them 2 day before now has a scratch across the top. I got a little upset but no biggie. I’m sure Eric will swap it out next time I come in, right?. That evening on my way home from work I come to a light, push the clutch in and the idle shoots up to 1800 rpm. It wouldn’t go down until I tapped the gas. Then it would drop from 1800. 1400. 1000, then settle at 800. This would happen every time I came to a light or pushed the clutch in. That evening I called Doug at billetflow and he told me to have Steeda call him. I told Doug I will bring my cobra back to steeda tomorrow and I will have the tech call him from there. Here’s where everything turns to shit. The next morning I called Eric at steeda around 11am because he was working the late shift. I proceeded to explain to him what’s going on with the idle and that the shifter is scratch. Eric basically attempted to explain to me that something must be wrong with the TB because the tech did EVERYTHING he could several times trying to get the idle right. He went on to tell me the specs of a larger TB and how it works. But what he was really saying is I don’t know shit about motors and he knows everything so I should just take his world about it and return the billetflow because it was defected. He said I should have bought the accufab from them because they would have simple got another one off the shelf if one was defective. I asked Eric if I could bring the cobra back and if their tech could call Doug to attempt to set the TPS correctly over the phone. Eric again told me there’s nothing that can be done because the tech did everything he could possible do and it didn’t work. He went as far as to say these tech have done hundreds of installs and they know what they are doing. He insisted he told me about the high idle when I took the car and I said that was right it was idling at 1100 then dropped to 800 even though I just told him it’s hanging at 1800 now. I was so upset at this point that I was getting the run around from a so called buddy of a buddy I then asked him about the scratch on the shifter handle and his attitude over the phone was that I was bullshitting him and trying to get it replaced for free. Granted this is 2 days old I just bought from them. There isn’t a scratch anywhere even on the car. I was so upset I told Eric this was horrible customer service especially being a friend of a fried and I would fix the throttle body myself. I called Doug that evening to find out he went and called steeda’s tech that day. The tech told Doug he just set the TPS fully counter clockwise and didn’t even use a multimeter. I was shocked. Doug walked me through and sure enough the TPS was set at 92.4 and turned all they way counterclockwise. I set it properly and the idle was back to being close to stock. So now finding out that the tech didn’t even set it right just pissed me off even more because Eric told me they did EVERYTHING and blamed the TB and told me I’m SOL and I paid for installation that wasn’t done properly
The next day I sent Eric an email how upset I was for being treated like a POS and basically told I was SOL and that the shifter was my own fault. I went on to say he could have simply said bring it back and let our tech call Doug at billetflow since this was the first time installing a billetflow. Eric replies with basically the same thing he said over the phone. I few days go by and I email him requesting a quote for a bunch of cobra guys coming for a dyno meet but no reply. I then send another email requesting a quote for subframes and labor but no reply. I then send an email apologizing for being a little upset but no reply. This is now about a week since the throttle body incident I sent an email saying I would rather work with him but if he wants I will work with another salesman. I went on to say if anyone should be upset it should be me. I then said my frame was bent when they worked on the installation of the springs. About 1 hour later I get this email from him. This is word for word.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,
Since we (Steeda) apparently do not have the ability to perform modifications and enhancements to your vehicle
to your standards, we feel it is in our best interests to dissolve our relationship and business dealings with you.
There are several other Mustang shops in the area that may suit your needs.
Steeda Autosports
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then replied that I would like in writing from the owner that Steeda will no longer except money from me for their products. So what do you guy think of this. I know it’s hard to figure everything out from a short story but I was basically treated like crap and was told to take my business elsewhere after I presented them with my issues. I can’t believe a company would do something like this. I was warned by a few guys here but I though since I had a buddy of a buddy on the inside I wouldn’t have any issues. I guess I was wrong! Sorry for the grammar, I failed English! I’m going to send letters to the top guys at steeda. I wonder how many other customers they have done this to.

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
So what's your point? All of the "tuners" suck. You're just lucky you didn't try Saleen. Steeda is actually one of the better ones.

Seriously, your experience is why all Mustang enthusiasts should mod their own car. It's rewarding, saves you money, and you never have to deal with what you are dealing with.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I think his point is he paid pretty good money for service from a reputable(sp) place and the service sucked. When he wanted them to deal with the issues at hand they told him to screw. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like a place I want to do business with.

I owned a Saleen and I can tell you that company is a joke. If you want to pay too much for a mustang and have problems nobody, not even saleen can fix, buy one of their cars.

jonas

Established Member
steeda customer service sucks
its not somethig new
they are a bunch of elitists.

With this info I bet you can probably sue him to get part of your labor back but we are talking a meazly few 100. The best thing you can do is what you just did. The most powerful thing a customer can do is stop doing buisness with em and spread the word.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Bassin247, I think he's talking about Steeda, not Saleen.

FWIW, I'd like to have this jokester's email address. I'll shoot him an email to let him know I *WAS* going to buy a CAI, exhaust and shifter from them until I read this crap. Oh well, maybe I'll just give AR my money.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I have purchased many things from Steeda. I haven't put all the mods in my sig cause I don't believe in page long sigs. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Steeda has treated me great. Even sending me free stuff. They have responded to all my e-mails and furthermore, sent me e-mails inquiring how I and my car was doing. I think it could have been in the approach when you contacted them.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Of course the service sucked and it's not a place you want to do business with. I don't even live anywhere near Steeda and I still know not to take a car there.

I remember when Killer Cobra mentioned he was going to take his car to Steeda. I thought, should I say something? No, all I'll get is flack. Now look what happened.

Interesting you didn't get a response until you mentioned bending your car huh..

FWIW, my Steeda CAI was defective, suprise suprise. One of the inserts for the allen head bolts was welded wrong. I had to punch it out and use my own self tapped in the metal tab. I took the cover off now anyways, so I don't care anymore.

The only two places I'd take my car that are "names" in the Mustang world are Griggs and Maximum Motorsports. I think they are both in CA, so that's out.

I will do all mods myself. It's all a matter of having the right tools.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
Bassin247, I think he's talking about Steeda, not Saleen.

I made the saleen statement because there was a saleen coment in the previous post.

lesrok

Established Member
I never really dealt with Steeda before, I was going to get a few things done in a few months from now, but now that I hear about this tipe of service, I ain't doin s..t!!!! I'm keepn my baby stock!!!! naw I mean.

Last edited:

jonas

Established Member
well I should also add that I bought a tri axe and cai for my snake with no probs. I believe they outsource their fabrication

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've done mail order business with Steeda (Eric by the way) and have no complaints. I also know of folks who have gone to Steeda for mods and have been very happy. I just have one comment. I'm not saying the KillerCobra isn't stating all the facts but we don't have Steeda's side of the story. If Eric didn't respond to emails there probably was a reason. I'm not defending KillerCobra or Steeda. I just don't think it is smart to jump on a vendor without hearing both sides of the story. I do feel bad that his TB apparently wasn't done correctly, but glad it was resolved.
:)

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
I have purchased many things from Steeda. I haven't put all the mods in my sig cause I don't believe in page long sigs. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Steeda has treated me great. Even sending me free stuff. They have responded to all my e-mails and furthermore, sent me e-mails inquiring how I and my car was doing. I think it could have been in the approach when you contacted them.

Yeah everything was GREAT until something went wrong then the turn on you. I could see Eric telling me to deal with someone elsey but to have Steeda the company to tell me to take a hike? I'll be going right to the owner with this. I'm going to post of evey mustang board and I will NEVER deal with them again. You live and you learn.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
Yeah everything was GREAT until something went wrong then the turn on you. I could see Eric telling me to deal with someone elsey but to have Steeda the company to tell me to take a hike? I'll be going right to the owner with this. I'm going to post of evey mustang board and I will NEVER deal with them again. You live and you learn.
I'd love to hear Eric's side of this. Maybe, just maybe, the way you presented your issues gave them little room for an positive response. I'm not accusing you Killer, just suspecting that there is a bit more to this then we're hearing. However it went, I do hope you get everything resolved. Peace!

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I've done mail order business with Steeda (Eric by the way) and have no complaints. I also know of folks who have gone to Steeda for mods and have been very happy. I just have one comment. I'm not saying the KillerCobra isn't stating all the facts but we don't have Steeda's side of the story. If Eric didn't respond to emails there probably was a reason. I'm not defending KillerCobra or Steeda. I just don't think it is smart to jump on a vendor without hearing both sides of the story. I do feel bad that his TB apparently wasn't done correctly, but glad it was resolved.

I have several emails from Eric. He took this personal and it seems Steeda is backing up his little personal endeavor. Even our mutual freind told me he took it to heart that I got upset with him. I just don't understand how he is so upset when I'm the one at lose here. His feelings where hurt because he said he went out of his way for me and I back stabed him. How can you back stab someone when you're only dealing with him? I could see if I went to his boss or something but I was only dealing with him. go figure

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Killer Cobra was talking with me during these events and I can see Steeda doing this without a doubt. I have dealt with Steeda for over 5 years and live 30-minutes away from them. The screwed up my 95 Cobra suspension massively and when ever you tell them that something they make sucks or did was done wrong they totally deny all responsibility and blame the customer. I was only surprised that they sent an email to him stating that it is something I would have expected over the phone, but to actually write it down takes balls. They think they are god and have such a marketing campaign that nothing can hurt them. I told Killer Cobra several months ago before he even bought his car not to deal with them. My last commit on a thread about it was actually wait until the honeymoon is over and then tell me what happens. I know Killer Cobra has come off to some in different ways on this forum, but I have had conversations with him outside the forum and he seems like a good guy who is looking for the same things as the rest of us.

lethal

Established Member
I agree toofast. Killer and I got into a little scrap when he took what I posted as a little threatening, and I guess it was. Of course, I'm not going to tell everyone they can't say anything bad about the car -- I just was in a crappy mood that day. That's behind us and I totally respect his views.

No matter what, no customer should ever experience this kind of crap. Killer, if you paid anything by CC call your company and try to get a chargeback. These boneheads not only charged you to mess up your car, but now your going to have to spend your hard-earned money to fix it.

I think Steeda is good for getting a dyno done and perhaps a product or two (which is usually overpriced) ... other then that I guess its a place people in South Florida should avoid for actual labor.

I wish you the best on getting this resolved and your snake back up to par.

coleman

Established Member
I hope this is a lesson we all can learn from. If you can do a MOD yourself, please do. Generally speaking, most techs spend too much time under too many hoods to do every job well. Things get by. I wish I had a lift & ample time to do all my mods myself. But if you can't, you'll have to take a little risk & build up a relationship with a mechanic (not a salesperson) -- this has always worked with me. Don't be afraid to tip them individually if they go beyond the call of duty. A few bucks can go quite a long ways with people.

When I was over at a local place (MMT) getting a dyno, I mentioned that I thought I might have an exhaust leak. Well, the mech went out of his way to take a car (w/o an engine) off a lift, re-arrange the other cars to make way for my car, lifted it up, found the BIG exhaust leak, spent a better part of an hour fixing it & didn't even charge me for it :thumbsup: ... that speaks volumes to me... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread