My O/R H-Pipe Dyno Run

helloWorld

Established Member
First, I would like to thank Shaun at AED for his exceptional customer service and calibrating skills. I would also like to thank Jeff Smith at Central Texas Performance for his exceptional customer service and in-depth knowledge.

I was going to go in and get a dyno tune from Jeff. I told him I was having issues with knock and random misfires before hand. Instead of tuning, he went all out trying to find out what was wrong with my car before he would tune it. In the end, my engine has an unbelievable amount of carbon buildup on the piston heads and cylinder heads. He spent most of his work day SeaFoaming and inspecting all over the car for false knock. In the end, he did what he could with the SeaFoam and showed me before and after bore scope pictures of my cylinder internals. While he could not get everything out, they were much cleaner and than when I brought my car in that morning. While he refused to tune, due to the amount of carbon still present in my engine and how much my knock sensors where still freaking out, he did get a dyno run in and I was still impressed with the numbers.

2013 Mustang GT - Automatic with 3.15 gears
JLT CAI
AED datalog tuned on 91 octane
Same dyno machine and operator both runs

Borla ATAK Catback (catted), 93 octane in the tank, December 2014 - 379 RWHP / 406 RWTQ

378.jpg

Lethal O/R H-pipe (no cats), Lethal 2.75" OAP, Single-Tip GT500 mufflers, ~ 91 octane, December 2015 - 399 RWHP / 414 RWTQ

398.jpg

I would also like to point out that even though the horsepower and torque numbers are higher with no cats, my butt dyno was correct in that I did lose torque in the daily drive range (1,000 to 3,000 RPM). If you look at the before graph, 2500 rpm was a little over 350 RWTQ. Without cats, 2500 rpm is a tad higher than 300 RWTQ.

clc44

Established Member
Nice! Any other plans? I have long tubes and cat less mid going on next month. I actually just got a Mike Rousch tune, feels a lot better than my other tune. He sent me a base tube for the long tubes and mid. I'll data log after install to get it tweaked. I love my auto with the new tune!

rotarymagic

Established Member
He's pretty good, yes... it's just a damn shame he left me and lots of other people hanging for revisions in the past.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
399/414...?

Not the typical coyote numbers. Fyi

1/4 numbers more impressive than dyno #'s IMO.

Enjoy, and be safe.

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
What is the plan for all the carbon left?
My most immediate plans are to get rid of the carbon. Cheapest and easiest route for me to do this is to go E-85. The additional plus is after getting properly tuned for that, I will pick up even more power.

Any other plans?
Possibly this time next year, I will be going twin turbo. If I choose to go the E-85 route, boost+E85+auto = WIN!

1/4 numbers more impressive than dyno #'s IMO.
I know that track times are the better indicator of performance, but I just have not been to a track in a while, and I will need to purchase the right wheels and tires for it.

Any reason for going from 93 to 91 octane?
I had 93 in the tank for the 2014 run because, I just wanted to have the highest octane I could get local. Now, this year, I had wanted to get a dyno tune. All I have where I live is 91, so I wanted to be tuned on that octane level instead of the local 93.

clc44

Established Member
He's pretty good, yes... it's just a damn shame he left me and lots of other people hanging for revisions in the past.

Hate to hear that. We sent probably 10 or 15 emails back-and-forth for a couple days. He was always quick to get back with me. We will see once the revision for my long tubes comes which will be next month.

Flcracker

Established Member
I had an h pipe installed recently, and I'm very unhappy with the loss of low end TQ. I have a lot of money dumped into my 2011 5.0 with a Roush blower, vmp he, T56 magnum xl, McLoud clutch, Wilwod breaks, etc. I want my low end torque back! Thing is, I was very specific with my shop about not wanting to lose any low end torque. Anyway... I'm going from the 85 mm to the 82 mm pulley and hope that gives me my low end grunt back. If not im ditching the h pipe and having my cats reinstalled.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
The 3:31 gears were perfect with the t56 2.97 tranny gears with the cats. The car makes 550 whp, and going with a different gear would mean losing traction. But I've been thinking about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread