My old Mystichrome at a dealer with rolled back odometer

TheManInBlack

Shelby Operator
Established Member
Wouldn’t a carfax reveal this to a perspective buyer? Since anytime it changes hands the mileage is documented.. I know even just an inspection sticker in La documents the mileage..

funmoneypit

Established Member

Attachments

• 20210527_124437_resized[15392] (2).jpg
    20210527_124437_resized[15392] (2).jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 194

funmoneypit

Established Member
Wouldn’t a carfax reveal this to a perspective buyer? Since anytime it changes hands the mileage is documented.. I know even just an inspection sticker in La documents the mileage..
Not necessarily. There isn't any miles listed when I bought it. Most states are mileage exempt after 10 years. It will only get documented when a dealer or shop reports it.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Someone should definitely let them know seems like a very short time for somebody to flip it to the dealership only two days after you sold it to a supposedly private party... seems like someone who owns/works at the dealership may have something to do with the rollback. Not all dealers are bad but the shady ones need to be exposed this place has lots of svt and specialty cars and it would be terrible if they’re doing this to all these cars and putting them out in the community. Thank you for posting about this.
They have been notified. I sent them an email and many others have asked why the mileage discrepancy.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Someone should definitely let them know seems like a very short time for somebody to flip it to the dealership only two days after you sold it to a supposedly private party... seems like someone who owns/works at the dealership may have something to do with the rollback. Not all dealers are bad but the shady ones need to be exposed this place has lots of svt and specialty cars and it would be terrible if they’re doing this to all these cars and putting them out in the community. Thank you for posting about this.
They have been notified. I sent them an email and many others have asked why the mileage discrepancy. I am betting the person that bought it from me is somehow associated with them. He lives in Dallas too.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah I know. I gave a pi

Yeah I know. I also have a pic of my title still showing my name and the VIN but yeah, difficult to prove.

I mean, it just doesn't prove anything. That could be a photo from any Cobra.

Did you have to write the mileage on a bill of sale, or on the title at the time you sold it?

funmoneypit

Established Member
I mean, it just doesn't prove anything. That could be a photo from any Cobra.

Did you have to write the mileage on a bill of sale, or on the title at the time you sold it?
I did write the mileage on the title but that is gone now of course. Texas is a mileage exempt state so it won't be recorded on the new title.

funmoneypit

Established Member
OP here. I just talked to the owner of RPM. He says they did not roll back the mileage and honestly I believe him. This is an amateur move. Like he said, rolling it back 6000 miles isn't going to raise the resale value. He is pretty upset too. I gave him the number of the person I bought it from. He says it is going to auction.

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
OP here. I just talked to the owner of RPM. He says they did not roll back the mileage and honestly I believe him. This is an amateur move. Like he said, rolling it back 6000 miles isn't going to raise the resale value. He is pretty upset too. I gave him the number of the person I bought it from. He says it is going to auction.

I’m glad I PMd you before going to look at the car. That dealership has a decent reputation, so it really wouldn’t make sense for them to take that kind of risk for such a small rollback.

funmoneypit

Established Member
I’m glad I PMd you before going to look at the car. That dealership has a decent reputation, so it really wouldn’t make sense for them to take that kind of risk for such a small rollback.
I'm glad you did too. Made for an interesting day, lol. I agree, this was the guy that bought it from me. I sent him a text but of course no reply.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Isn't RPM obligated by law to perform their due diligence and investigate the mileage discrepancy prior to auction?

Users who are viewing this thread