My old Mystichrome at a dealer with rolled back odometer

HPLouis

Established Member
They’ll have to declare the odometer discrepancy at auction. There are penalties if they don’t. They might not want to take that risk for 6,000 or so miles

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
So RPM advises the auction company ....and the the guy who buys it at auction or the one next in line does not disclose it. Somebody is going to unknowingly get burned.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not sure why he's going to run it through the auction on hearsay.

This literally CANNOT be proven. I'm not saying OP is wrong, I'm just saying that this is unprovable and for the guy at the dealership to roll it wholesale is silly.

If it were me, I would keep it to retail and make sure any prospective buyer knew that there had been questions raised but nothing was 100% known.

I marked the VIN in my auction software, if it gets listed I'm going to scoop it up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well now that they have been notified if they knowingly send to auction hiding the milage info. Could come back to bite them big time.
That was the point of my post. I don't see them getting around declaring the discrepancy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not sure why he's going to run it through the auction on hearsay. This literally CANNOT be proven. I'm not saying OP is wrong, I'm just saying that this is unprovable and for the guy at the dealership to roll it wholesale is silly.

If it were me, I would keep it to retail and make sure any prospective buyer knew that there had been questions raised but nothing was 100% known.

I marked the VIN in my auction software, if it gets listed I'm going to scoop it up.
That is actually great advice IMO.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So car dealers are scum bags?! Magical odometers dabbling in time travel?

Shocker I tell ya. In other news, water is wet

That's hysterical you read it that way.

I read it that someone bought the car from the OP, flipped it to a dealer by skipping title, could have possibly changed the odometer, and when the question was raised, the dealer immediately removed it from their website and said they're getting rid of it on the wholesale market.

Funny the differing in opinions on the matter.

Papaw

Established Member
If I were interested in purchasing that car and found out that there MAY be something hinky with the odometer reading (kudos to whoever discloses that by the way) I would wonder what ELSE has been done to the car that I don't know about.
Just my suspicious mind I guess.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I were interested in purchasing that car and found out that there MAY be something hinky with the odometer reading (kudos to whoever discloses that by the way) I would wonder what ELSE has been done to the car that I don't know about.
Just my suspicious mind I guess.

Eh, I might for .05 seconds. But you have to look at the flipside and see that if someone is willing to give up that information and be that forthcoming, they aren't hiding anything else.

99 times out of 100 a visual inspection of a car will either tell you to walk away or to buy it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Bob, there really isn't any legal liability on the dealership with this situation. It's not provable.

Sent from my Potato

This could be different from state to state. CA has strick policies on milage reporting.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This could be different from state to state. CA has strick policies on milage reporting.

Right, but this isn't provable. It's not on any of the state paperwork, nor any of the vehicle history reports.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sad.

I can't of anyone really getting in trouble,,

Used car,, buyer beware.

Even if true, place selling isn't really lying if said mileage matches odometer.

Texas inspection has always wrote in my mileage but still just looks at it,,

I just gave my kid a old truck,I found a truck with 32k on odometer,
Took what I could from truck that was shared,,
He has a nice 95 explorer now

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Maybe the prior owner put a ton of miles on it and then rolled it back to the current state. OP just happens to know what it was when he sold it. Guy might not have remembered where it was at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maybe the prior owner put a ton of miles on it and then rolled it back to the current state. OP just happens to know what it was when he sold it. Guy might not have remembered where it was at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In two days?

efnfast

Established Member
From this thread I learned 13COBRA intends to buy it at auction and then sell it some poor smo because IT CAN'T BE PROVEN

Users who are viewing this thread